The Queen of the South thread

I haven't been blown away by Johnston but for 17 years old he's done well. I've watched a lot of our 18's recently and there aren't many who could currently make the step up to the first team. Personally I think we have better options than Johnston just now but he's certainly a player I'm happy enough to have in our squad.

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Not yet, and certainly not for Friday's game but I imagine we'll put something out to clarify asap once it's been assessed what can practically actually be changed. For what it's worth though, the JRG removing 'mandatory' red zones whilst also reinforcing the need for players and officials to maintain 2m social distancing from one another and everyone else at all times, especially in changing rooms, doesn't fundamentally change an awful lot. They'd have been better leaving it how it was rather than letting people think things have changed particularly when in reality they haven't really.

Where did the JRG say that players and officials need to maintain social distancing from one another and everyone else at all times? Did they not say clubs could do their own risk assessment of social distancing, bearing in mind that anybody within 2m would be a close contact? 
I appreciate that clubs might decide they don’t want to take that risk (even if all, or most of, their players were fully vaccinated). But that is a different thing from the JRG saying they need to maintain social distancing at all times.

3 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Not yet, and certainly not for Friday's game but I imagine we'll put something out to clarify asap once it's been assessed what can practically actually be changed. For what it's worth though, the JRG removing 'mandatory' red zones whilst also reinforcing the need for players and officials to maintain 2m social distancing from one another and everyone else at all times, especially in changing rooms, doesn't fundamentally change an awful lot. They'd have been better leaving it how it was rather than letting people think things have changed particularly when in reality they haven't really.

Fair enough.

It does mean the BBC piece was misleading.  It seems to imply that any remaining restrictions are entirely at the discretion of the club.  If 2m remains a consideration, then as you say, that's not really the case.

2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Fair enough.

It does mean the BBC piece was misleading.  It seems to imply that any remaining restrictions are entirely at the discretion of the club.  If 2m remains a consideration, then as you say, that's not really the case.

Well as Flash says it is at the discretion of the club(s) but with the caveat that if 2m isn't enforced and you end up with an outbreak and forfeits you will be held responsible. And you cannot dictate to the visiting club and match officials that they adopt less than full measures so you have to work on the assumption that full measures are required. Given the number of unvaccinated players I'd imagine the SPFA would take a dim view of clubs not providing opportunity for full distancing for their own staff too. 

Like I said makes for a good headline but in reality offers limited opportunity to change much. We are looking into it and will put something out asap but there isnt likely to be much change for Friday at this stage. 

Edited by Skyline Drifter

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Fair enough.

Link to the statement the BBC piece was based on.

JRG Statement

Eta the 5,000 capacity limit no longer applies. Palmerston’s capacity is either back to normal - subject to any retained red zones (and if appropriate vaccination checks are in place) or it is 3,999.

Edited by Flash

I sincerely hope that pointless barrier is removed between the stand & terracing ASAP before we lose even more supporters. 

It continues to cause grief every home game and the club must understand the fans frustration. People are only passing by and not standing in queues like the indoor ticket booth or sharing facilities with AWAY supporters which was the case a few weeks back. 

Have a wee think about it please Queens. 

On 05/05/2017 at 23:26, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

Dykes - Rip up contract.

On 06/05/2017 at 00:39, 19QOS19 said:

Is it Dykes, Marshall, Robinson, Rankin and God who are signed for next season? Of those 5 I wouldn't be arsed if Dykes and Marshall were canned.

On 06/05/2017 at 20:02, The Caul Back said:

Who in their like mind would give Dykes a 2 year contract, he can't score, he lacks pace, and spends most of the games running about like a headless chicken, and on his backside

On 06/05/2017 at 22:14, Dumfries Boy(new acc) said:

Would rather Hilson and Smith than Dykes

On 06/05/2017 at 22:28, Toshson said:

Couldn't agree more Dykes is one of worst I've seen up front for Queens in along time. Surely Aiden Smith would of been a better choice to keep as back up for Dobbie ,Del and whomever comes in as a striker.

On 06/05/2017 at 23:09, SUPERSOUTH said:

Unfortunately dykes was given a years extension by someone just before Naysmith was appointed, by the club.

On 06/05/2017 at 23:25, 19QOS19 said:

I don't think I've ever went from really liking a player to borderline loathing a player in a single season but that's exactly what's happened with Dykes. At the start I thought he was sharp out on the left, wasn't afraid to run at people, would go up to win his headers and looked like a pacy wide player. Now I think he looks disinterested, has the Scott Robertson curse of being tall but unable to jump and looks to have no pace whatsoever. I genuinely don't know what's happened to him. I said weeks ago he looked disinterested and got pelters. If folk are watching him thinking otherwise then they're clearly seeing something different to me. His refusal to go up for headers today was really starting to grind on me. And there was 2 or 3 round me who were clearly feeling the same. A sarcastic cheer by some members of the crowd when he was subbed said it all really.

On 10/05/2017 at 10:55, Dumfries Boy(new acc) said:

Dykes wouldn't even win a header in a under 7 game 

Was looking through some old posts earlier and came across these. Some absolutely terrific comments on the player who would go on to become our record transfer fee and lead the line for Scotland at a major finals. 😆

I particularly like the suggestion that Aidan Smith was a far better option.

Was looking through some old posts earlier and came across these. Some absolutely terrific comments on the player who would go on to become our record transfer fee and lead the line for Scotland at a major finals. [emoji38]

You've got too much time on your hands.

20 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Was looking through some old posts earlier and came across these. Some absolutely terrific comments on the player who would go on to become our record transfer fee and lead the line for Scotland at a major finals. 😆

Let's be fair, even Mystic Meg couldn't have predicted how Dykes' career would have progressed given that he was pretty poor (being kind) in his early Queens career. I think once his off-field situation settled down he could really concentrate on the football. Fair play to him. 

9 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Let's be fair, even Mystic Meg couldn't have predicted how Dykes' career would have progressed given that he was pretty poor (being kind) in his early Queens career. I think once his off-field situation settled down he could really concentrate on the football. Fair play to him. 

He's gone further than I expected certainly, I'm not going to pretend I ever thought he would be an international, but I don't accept the suggestion he was at any point "pretty poor" for us and he always looked to have all the tools physically to go higher in the game. The suggestion that he lacked pace or ability to head in some of those earlier posts is farcical. What he lacked understandibly when young was composure on the ball and finishing. Neither is his strongest point yet either but he's vastly improved them.

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

He's gone further than I expected certainly, I'm not going to pretend I ever thought he would be an international, but I don't accept the suggestion he was at any point "pretty poor" for us and he always looked to have all the tools physically to go higher in the game. The suggestion that he lacked pace or ability to head in some of those earlier posts is farcical. What he lacked understandibly when young was composure on the ball and finishing. Neither is his strongest point yet either but he's vastly improved them.

My main recollection of him at that time was that he sometimes didn't look interested or didn't put in that wee bit of effort to win a ball or get to physical. A big contrast to his later showings when he would put himself about, chased lost causes and impose himself on games.  As he admits himself he was a late developer. 

I was part of the group who never particularly rated Dykes at Queens and have been proven truly wrong since he left. He has discovered the knack of being in the right place more and is scoring typical strikers goals now. He's also much improved in the air in terms of scoring. At Queens he was very good with flick ons but did he ever score a header for us? He has improved beyond belief and have to say fair play to those who spotted his scope for improvement because I sure as hell never thought he'd achieve what he has in a million years. To be honest he's now already outdone what Dobbie did in his whole career in terms of doing it at a higher level.  

2 hours ago, football maniac said:

I was part of the group who never particularly rated Dykes at Queens and have been proven truly wrong since he left. He has discovered the knack of being in the right place more and is scoring typical strikers goals now. He's also much improved in the air in terms of scoring. At Queens he was very good with flick ons but did he ever score a header for us? He has improved beyond belief and have to say fair play to those who spotted his scope for improvement because I sure as hell never thought he'd achieve what he has in a million years. To be honest he's now already outdone what Dobbie did in his whole career in terms of doing it at a higher level.  

Club football-wise I'd say Dobbie has performed more regularly at a higher level but obviously no International Caps. 

2 hours ago, football maniac said:

In terms of playing international football he's clearly achieved more than Dobbie. He has a bit to go in terms of club football for me given Dobbie played for 3 clubs who gained promotion to the Premiership with Blackpool, Swansea and Palace. He was absolutely outstanding in the 2nd half of the season when Swansea got promoted.