The Queen of the South thread

Time to get players in their proper position and stop worrying & setting up to stop the opposition Get Debayo in at LB where he was signed to be Nditi at CB, hopefully Rae will be back in goals soon that's for starters get some width on the pitch and must involve Connolly as much as possible who's been one of our best players. Afraid neither East or Joseph should d be close to the starting 11. Give connelly a free role behind a STRIKER..... Would really like to see us sign a striker on loan this week Shields maybe? 

[emoji3079]

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

Has there been any info on what's wrong with Cochrane and in particular, Todd?

It's maybe on the OS or in AJ's pre-match videos but I'm too lazy to trawl through either.

Don’t know about Todd but Johnston said in the post match interview that Cochrane was ill.

I thought we played so much better when we played 3-5-2 this allowed our wing backs to get forward and that is when we seen Gibson at his best. All this chop and changing by AJ is outrageous. It's was the same last year and he stumbled across a winning formula for about 9 games in a full season 🤔.Get Nditi back in defence and get Cooper or Debayo to left wing back their natural positions. I would like to see to Gibson back on the right instead of young Johnston.

I’ve got to agree Manager has become very concerned about the opposition for some apparent reason. I could see the sense if we were playing the Old Firm but every team in this league are almost of equal ability. We started the season playing to win from the off and while we ultimately lost some of the matches we played well and there was a decent feel good factor. That will be completely eradicated if our Management team start over thinking tactics and start doing a “Naysmith”. There are no outstanding teams in this league - we haven’t remotely been outplayed yet and there is no justification for us not trying to win every game with a positive outlook.

The supporters really responded to the team in the early games but this will wane quickly if we start to see isolated lone strikers and wingers spending all their time marking opposing full backs.

Brynn

McKay.   Nditi   Chima/East  Gibson.      Cooper/ Debayo         McGrory  Liddle        Todd/Cochrane/Fitzpat

Connelly.

Ruben  Roy/Paton

Joseph, Johnston I personally would not include in our starting 11

Edited by Manwithnoball

13 hours ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Give connelly a free role behind a STRIKER..... Would really like to see us sign a striker on loan this week Shields maybe? 

Yeah, strangely enough I was also thinking last night that we might be in with a shout of getting Shields back on loan. Think he's been injured at the start of the season and looking at Well's results/position I doubt he'll find it easy to break into their starting line up. Great to dream eh?

Based on absolutely hee haw analysis of statistics (cos I'm lazy) I always think safety in these 10 team leagues requires collecting 10 to 11 points per quarter, so we could do with winning both of our final games this quarter. Either that or we'll need to post a stellar quarter in the final three quarters ..... if you get my drift.

1 hour ago, Manwithnoball said:

I thought we played so much better when we played 3-5-2 this allowed our wing backs to get forward and that is when we seen Gibson at his best. All this chop and changing by AJ is outrageous. It's was the same last year and he stumbled across a winning formula for about 9 games in a full season 🤔.Get Nditi back in defence and get Cooper or Debayo to left wing back their natural positions. I would like to see to Gibson back on the right instead of young Johnston.

I agree we've looked strongest playing 3 at the back. I dont, though, get this sudden obsession everyone has with Debayo playing left back/wingback. He's played in the middle in all the games we've looked decent in and we havent seen him on the left other than half an hour or so against Thistle in his first game and I cant say he particularly impressed.

I'd have a back three of McKay, Debayo and Nditi with one of Gibson, Cooper or Johnston as the wingbacks. East can cover centrally and wingback but shouldnt be anywhere near starting.

Then, I'd have any two from McGrory, Cochrane and Todd in midfield. Liddle doesnt look any more than a decent back up so far. 

Finally, Connelly in behind any two from Junior, Paton and Roy. Todd or Fitzpatrick as cover for Connelly.

If we needed a bit more strength in midfield then one of the forwards could be replaced by one of the midfield.

1 hour ago, Manwithnoball said:

Brynn

McKay.   Nditi   Chima/East  Gibson.      Cooper/ Debayo         McGrory  Liddle        Todd/Cochrane/Fitzpat

Connelly.

Ruben  Roy/Paton

Joseph, Johnston I personally would not include in our starting 11

7 at the back? Even AJ isnt that defensive :lol:

Edited by Mr X

1 hour ago, Otis Blue said:

Yeah, strangely enough I was also thinking last night that we might be in with a shout of getting Shields back on loan. Think he's been injured at the start of the season and looking at Well's results/position I doubt he'll find it easy to break into their starting line up. Great to dream eh?

Hopefully AJ is trying to sign Sheilds on loan he needs game time something we could give him.

Jack Hamilton at Livi is another who could be available but the dream signing is Sheilds have until Thursday probable end up signing nobody

12 hours ago, Greenacres said:

Hopefully AJ is trying to sign Sheilds on loan he needs game time something we could give him.

Jack Hamilton at Livi is another who could be available but the dream signing is Sheilds have until Thursday probable end up signing nobody

You’re obsessed with loan signings. Why not show a bit of faith in the squad we have. 

Or can’t you win with youngsters?

2 hours ago, Benji said:

You’re obsessed with loan signings. Why not show a bit of faith in the squad we have. 

Or can’t you win with youngsters?

Loan signing are the reason why we are still in the Championship without them in Jan we would not have stayed up .

Our squad is fine if a bit young  but we just need to add that bit of quality and experience  a loan signing like Sheilds can bring. 

People are saying we should bring back shields . He is ok player and a good 6-8 games he had to get his move to Motherwell and fair play to him . 
but he hardly kicked a ball the last 6 games and was average at best . 
also why do we always want to bring back players we had . 

If 8 goals in this division is "average", you're going to be very disappointed with our 'mediocre' strikers at the end of the season.

It would be nice to have another forward but, imo, the bigger problem is that we are far too easy to score against. Killie have conceded 1 goal, ICT have conceded 2. If we had scored the same as we have and conceded 2 goals, we could be top on 17 points (results of 2-1; 0-0; 3-1; 1-0; 1-0;0-0 and 1-0). In order to get to 17 points with the goals we’ve conceded would need a minimum of an extra 9 goals scored. Would it not be easier if we just defended properly?
I know that we’re not trying to win the title but the same principle applies - if you stop losing soft goals, you don’t need to score as many to pick up points. We’re on course to concede 62 goals this season. That is usually enough for a bottom 2 finish. So, we’d need to sign an exceptional forward to make up for that if we wanted to finish a lot higher.

3 hours ago, Flash said:

It would be nice to have another forward but, imo, the bigger problem is that we are far too easy to score against. Killie have conceded 1 goal, ICT have conceded 2. If we had scored the same as we have and conceded 2 goals, we could be top on 17 points (results of 2-1; 0-0; 3-1; 1-0; 1-0;0-0 and 1-0). In order to get to 17 points with the goals we’ve conceded would need a minimum of an extra 9 goals scored. Would it not be easier if we just defended properly?
I know that we’re not trying to win the title but the same principle applies - if you stop losing soft goals, you don’t need to score as many to pick up points. We’re on course to concede 62 goals this season. That is usually enough for a bottom 2 finish. So, we’d need to sign an exceptional forward to make up for that if we wanted to finish a lot higher.

I get your point here Flash that our defence is the biggest part of our problems.  That said, defences can also be helped by midfields and forward lines giving the opposition more to think about.  Also, apart from losing by two goals to the Gayfield Galacticos at Palmy recently we haven't really taken any humpings so far this season (tempting bloody fate here I know) - most of our losses have been by a single goal, and often quite late on.

I don't think I'm obsessing about getting Shields back on loan - it just popped into my head the other night and then I think it was Supersouth who mentioned it on here first.  I know that Sheilds wasn't entirely prolific with us but he certainly had pace, was direct and strong and gave opposition defences something to think about and took some of the pressure off our back line in the process.  Someone else on here has mentioned the possibility of Jack Hamilton coming back from Livi on loan, but I think a Livi poster has called that one right in that it ain't gonna happen as almost certainly (given their woes in the top flight) Livi will take Nouble back in January and will doubtless offer Hamilton back to Arbroath as a sop for taking Nouble off them.

Our main complaints seem to be AJ playing guys "out of position" and rotating the squad to the frustration of the fans.  It also frustrates me too, but at the same time I always think that there's probably loads going on behind the scenes that the fans aren't aware of - eg players with niggling injuries, players with illnesses, players with personal problems that crop up, players not putting themselves about in training properly, players telling AJ to get raffled during training (🙄) etc etc.  I also tend to think that the situation with loan players (eg Johnston) might not be as clear cut as we fans think - ie whilst it may not be a contractual commitment that the loanee has to be played in the first team, there could be a tacit understanding or expectation that the loanee does get a certain amount of game time opportunity, otherwise the parent club might not be so willing in future to send us loanees.  I'm just sure that there's lots of shit goes on behind the scenes that us fans aren't aware of.

Having read previous comments regarding AJ tinkering with the team, reminds me of last season and whilst it could be argued that our good run coincided with the January transfer window I think it had more to do with a large injury list and the starting 11 picking itself for a few weeks. The run came to an end when injured players started to return and AJ was able to tinker with the team again. He almost stumbled upon the 11 and their best positions by accident rather than design. At this level it is better to concentrate on our own strengths. Imo In years gone by Our better seasons have been ones with a small core squad of 13/14 players.