The Queen of the South thread

Maybe it's just because the current squad became familiar with WG as a teammate before he was put in interim charge that it happened, but it was disappointing to see Josh Rae very obviously ignoring instructions yesterday.

I'm meaning the incident where Rae, with the ball in his hands, was told by Wullie to play it short and he seemed to shout something back, give a dismissive hand gesture and punt the ball long up the park.

It makes me wonder to what extent the players are playing for the manager and if they are giving him enough respect.  Not a good sign if Wullie does get the job permanently and retains players who don't buy into what he wants them to do.

Well someone with ambition. What about Ian Murray at Airdrieonians?

I doubt he'd be interested in a sideways move. Next suggestion?

Love hearing how we need an experienced manager but I've yet to see a serious suggestion as to who.

6 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Love hearing how we need an experienced manager but I've yet to see a serious suggestion as to who.

Jim Duffy won a seaside league under similar circumstances in 2014-15. You could do worse. 

29 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

Maybe it's just because the current squad became familiar with WG as a teammate before he was put in interim charge that it happened, but it was disappointing to see Josh Rae very obviously ignoring instructions yesterday.

I'm meaning the incident where Rae, with the ball in his hands, was told by Wullie to play it short and he seemed to shout something back, give a dismissive hand gesture and punt the ball long up the park.

It makes me wonder to what extent the players are playing for the manager and if they are giving him enough respect.  Not a good sign if Wullie does get the job permanently and retains players who don't buy into what he wants them to do.

The majority of them them can f**k off for me. Clearly take no pride in their jobs so I will be glad I don’t have to clap eyes on them again. 

I like Gibson and I recognise that he was always going to be up against it in this stint that he got presented with.

The facts are, however, that he's made questionable selections and overseen an absolutely horrendous run of form after a bright start.

I think it's getting increasingly difficult to justify appointing him for next season.  I wish it was otherwise.

23 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Exactly. Always all the usual names that get thrown about. What about Barry Robson from Aberdeen has a good reputation as a coach.

2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I like Gibson and I recognise that he was always going to be up against it in this stint that he got presented with.

The facts are, however, that he's made questionable selections and overseen an absolutely horrendous run of form after a bright start.

I think it's getting increasingly difficult to justify appointing him for next season.  I wish it was otherwise.

You can only really judge Gibson when and if he has chosen the squad of players at his disposal  of cards.otherwise he has been dealt a bad hand

4 minutes ago, mwwqos321 said:

You can only really judge Gibson when and if he has chosen the squad of players at his disposal  of cards.otherwise he has been dealt a bad hand

I would agree. Let him chose his own squad. We have at times played some nice football, just can't finish the chances

Noticed in a few games Wullie absolutely blasting various individuals - usually the defence or GK- really blowing his top. For me that’s the captains job on the park. I don’t think the psychology’s been right the last few games. It also sometimes feels like every move has to go through him. Makes us feel very one sided at times.
I’m not sure what the solution is but if Wullie gets the manager role next season I think he needs to hang up his boots. If he wants to keep playing I think he needs to become a team player again.

1 minute ago, steakpiegravy said:

Noticed in a few games Wullie absolutely blasting various individuals - usually the defence or GK- really blowing his top. For me that’s the captains job on the park. I don’t think the psychology’s been right the last few games. It also sometimes feels like every move has to go through him. Makes us feel very one sided at times.
I’m not sure what the solution is but if Wullie gets the manager role next season I think he needs to hang up his boots. If he wants to keep playing I think he needs to become a team player again.

No one has queried why Euan East was suddenly given the captain's armband due to Josh Todd's injury...

7 minutes ago, TERREGLES1919 said:

No one has queried why Euan East was suddenly given the captain's armband due to Josh Todd's injury...

Maybe because Todd was indeed out injured?  🤦‍♂️

31 minutes ago, mwwqos321 said:

Dougie Imrie took over a squad of players under similar circumstances, and hasn't made a roaring c**t of it like Gibson has. Indeed, it has been quite the opposite.

A manager can absolutely be judged by how they deal with a squad not of their choosing. Short of Queens becoming the arm of a Gulf petrostate, Gibson will never be in a position to build a squad entirely of his own choosing anyway. The best players will leave on a regular basis.