The Queen of the South thread

11 hours ago, Biblemaster said:

If I was on the board, I think I'd be tempted to walk away with comments like this! As I've said before, I don't know Billy Hewitson, but Craig and Mark are two of the most diehard Queens fans I know. They are also sensible, experienced business men!

I seriously wish they would walk. 

Some communication and ambition might make a return.  No one can defend the shambles of the last 5 seasons and the signings so far are hardly inspiring to say the least.

Of course MB will get the blame if it goes wrong not the fact he's working with a £6.99 budget. 

2 minutes ago, Kunter said:

Some communication and ambition might make a return.  No one can defend the shambles of the last 5 seasons and the signings so far are hardly inspiring to say the least.

Of course MB will get the blame if it goes wrong not the fact he's working with a £6.99 budget. 

Our crowds are sub 1000. That we're still FT is incredible in itself. We're dishing out two year contracts (that I hope don't come back to bite us on the arse) which to me shows the BoD are backing MB with his 'project'. I'm sure he'll have known the budget this season so I don't expect him to go all AJ next season and continually whine about the budget. 

Other than your suggestion of paying for players we can't afford, what would you see as the BOD showing ambition?

29 minutes ago, qos1990 said:

Another 4/5 signings then squad be about complete. Looks like Marv is targeting younger players again, we could really do with 2/3 proven players but he obviously has faith in his ability to kick these players on. Not writing any of the players off, full time training could be making of Doherty, he’s one I fancied when he left Albion rovers clearly hasn’t worked out since but hopefully we can kick him on again. McLelland played for hibs reserves down at Palmerston and he absolutely strolled, looked miles ahead but I guess it was easy to against lesser opposition. 

Queens are in a similar spot to where we were for years, aiming for promotion but not going to have the biggest budget, so getting players in who the manager can improve is the only way to really get up.

A big chunk of our team who came close the last 2 years and then got promoted this year were guys who you wouldn't really put in the 'young with potential category', they were players who'd played a decent amount of senior games but were kind of going nowhere - guys like Easton, Frizzell, McGill, Gallagher, Watson. They came from Kelty, Dumbarton, Dunfermline, Dumbarton and East Fife respectively. Being able to recruit well in that kind of market, and then improve those players, is essential. You still need a handful of experienced guys on bigger wages to hold it together (like Fordyce and McCabe), and youngsters to fill out the squad. But I think that middle range of player is really where a manager shows his worth. Players like Houston, Church and Doherty seem to fall into that category.

The problem is that even good managers will always sign a few duds - for every Gallagher and Frizzell, Murray also signed a Currie and Quitongo. You just have to bank on Bartley getting more right than wrong.

36 minutes ago, qos1990 said:

Another 4/5 signings then squad be about complete. Looks like Marv is targeting younger players again, we could really do with 2/3 proven players but he obviously has faith in his ability to kick these players on. Not writing any of the players off, full time training could be making of Doherty, he’s one I fancied when he left Albion rovers clearly hasn’t worked out since but hopefully we can kick him on again. McLelland played for hibs reserves down at Palmerston and he absolutely strolled, looked miles ahead but I guess it was easy to against lesser opposition. 

If Paton does not come back we face our most difficult challenge trying to replace him.

Hard to find a forward who regularly scores goals everyone Is looking for the same thing .

Have said many times we need a aggressive good in the air experienced centre back someone like say Brownlie who has just been released from Thistle .

Hopefully our next few signing bring a bit of experience as our squad is very young right now .

11 minutes ago, Kunter said:

M.B. Will get the blame 100% if it goes wrong doesn't matter if working with a £6.99 budget it is his job to be clever with his budget just like they do at Livingston who easily have the smallest  budget in the S.P.L.

Hope M.B. gets it right for our sake and his .

1 minute ago, Greenacres said:

M.B. Will get the blame 100% if it goes wrong doesn't matter if working with a £6.99 budget it is his job to be clever with his budget just like they do at Livingston who easily have the smallest  budget in the S.P.L.

Hope M.B. gets it right for our sake and his .

Of course it matters. 

If he's only been given enough to bring in young players with the hope of developing them he's already got his work cut out. 

It's called backing your manager. 

Do you honestly think the squad so far is a serious promotion contender ? 

19 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Our crowds are sub 1000. That we're still FT is incredible in itself. We're dishing out two year contracts (that I hope don't come back to bite us on the arse) which to me shows the BoD are backing MB with his 'project'. I'm sure he'll have known the budget this season so I don't expect him to go all AJ next season and continually whine about the budget. 

Other than your suggestion of paying for players we can't afford, what would you see as the BOD showing ambition?

My suggestion is we need to stretch the budget to bring in the quality to get us out of this division yes. 

That's the job of any chairman. 

It's the only way it's going to work. 

Developing young players into a potential promotion winning team could take years. MB is going to have to work miracles (as it currently stands) 

8 minutes ago, Kunter said:

My suggestion is we need to stretch the budget to bring in the quality to get us out of this division yes. 

That's the job of any chairman. 

It's the only way it's going to work. 

Developing young players into a potential promotion winning team could take years. MB is going to have to work miracles (as it currently stands) 

I'm sure AJ had money available and chose not to use it. I'm positive MB said he was supported by the BoD in January as well. 

You cut your cloth accordingly and as much as I don't absolutely adore everything our BoD has done I don't think they're withholding funds unjustly. I'd rather support a side in League 1 than have no side to support. 

Guest Ecosse83

Really surprised Bartley has signed him, he can produce the odd class goal but contributes very little 95% of the time. 

He’s absolutely bang average but always has something brilliant in his locker and can genuinely win a game out of absolutely nothing. But for most for the time he’ll contribute very little. 

Scored the best goal I’ve ever seen from any Ayr player away at Easter Road in 2017. 

20 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I'm sure AJ had money available and chose not to use it. I'm positive MB said he was supported by the BoD in January as well. 

You cut your cloth accordingly and as much as I don't absolutely adore everything our BoD has done I don't think they're withholding funds unjustly. I'd rather support a side in League 1 than have no side to support. 

My worry is how long can we remain in league 1 before we're forced to go part time. 

I don't think our fan base has much more left in it for a repeat of the last 5 or so seasons. 

1 minute ago, Kunter said:

My worry is how long can we remain in league 1 before we're forced to go part time. 

I don't think our fan base has much more left in it for a repeat of the last 5 or so seasons. 

I'm surprised that someone as negative about the Club as you are bothers to support it at all. Have you ever posted anything positive? You don't like Hewitson,   we get it. 

25 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

He’s absolutely bang average but always has something brilliant in his locker and can genuinely win a game out of absolutely nothing. But for most for the time he’ll contribute very little. 

Scored the best goal I’ve ever seen from any Ayr player away at Easter Road in 2017. 

Given how poor we were last season I'd be delighted if McGuffie can be bang average for us next season tbh. 

6 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Given how poor we were last season I'd be delighted if McGuffie can be bang average for us next season tbh. 

Sounds pretty like for like with Connor Murray. Who performance wise was very meh, but his actual numbers were pretty decent, if we can get similar numbers from McGuffie will be pleased tbh. 

Edited by qos1990