The Queen of the South thread

We are sleep walking into League 2, and within a season or two, the Lowland League as well. 

We have to accept it though. iI mean, who is going to look at us? 

Edited by qos_75

20 minutes ago, qos_75 said:

We are sleep walking into League 1, and within a season or two, the Lowland League as well. 

We are in league 1!

2 hours ago, qos_75 said:

We are sleep walking into League 2, and within a season or two, the Lowland League as well. 

Yip. Poor at every level - on the pitch, state of ground. From top to bottom it looks at best a lack of care. At worst, negligence. 

1 hour ago, bod said:

Has he gone yet, haven't seen anything confirming it?

700 at next week's home game!

We can do this dance again the next three or four seasons. Hire and fire, hire and fire. Nothing will improve. 

There is a common denominator to our failure though - the  board.

They may all have successful businesses outside of football. Sadly, they do not have a good track record in football. That’s being kind. 

It’s like an abusive relationship. They seem to care little about the club. Yet, we are told nobody else is interested in us. It’s almost like we should be thankful for what we have. 

If that is the case,, it isn’t any wonder fans are voting with their feet.  Let’s not kid ourselves. We are heading back to the Harkness years. The rot has set in and needs to be cut out, or we are well and truly fucked. 

At this rate I can genuinely see us following the Shire, Berwick and Cowdenbeath. 

7 minutes ago, qos_75 said:

It’s like an abusive relationship. They seem to care little about the club. Yet, we are told nobody else is interested in us. 

Here's the thing, though.

We don't need anyone to be interested in us, in the sense of buying the club. We're not funded by the owners, i.e. the several thousand shareholders.

At this level, we just need a board which is proactive and creative. For years, the line was that "directors need to be ready to put in their own money", but then at the AGM two years ago they admitted there's no such legal requirement.

As of the last accounts we had plenty cash in bank to cover losses. It's time to bring in directors with the skills and passion to exploit the clear potential our club has. 

I wonder what interview style Bartley has adopted this week?

The depressed post-Hamilton gloomfest where he stares at the ground and mumbles away about individual errors being to blame and players not being where they should have been, playing the wrong pass etc (ie the "not-my-fault" response) or the upbeat "can't fault the players and we deserved to take something from the game" (when we by all accounts didn't) waffle?

Hopefully Sandra takes a new approach to interviewing where rather than making a statement and seeing if Bartley agrees with her she actually asks some direct pertinent, questions, such as:

- After a good performance last week why did you change the personnel and formation?

- Why was Botterill dropped?

- Why did you wait until Alloa scored before deciding to throw four subs on in the space of three minutes?

That's not going to happen though, is it?  We'll probably just get the usual "Well Marvin, another bad result today?" line of "questioning".

14 minutes ago, Priti priti priti Patel said:

We don't need anyone to be interested in us, in the sense of buying the club. We're not funded by the owners, i.e. the several thousand shareholders.

At this level, we just need a board which is proactive and creative. For years, the line was that "directors need to be ready to put in their own money", but then at the AGM two years ago they admitted there's no such legal requirement.

As of the last accounts we had plenty cash in bank to cover losses. It's time to bring in directors with the skills and passion to exploit the clear potential our club has. 

That is  it.

From the outside looking in, there seems no rational reason why they want to remain in control of the club. They are not spending more than the bare minimum on the upkeep of the ground.

Their track record in hiring a manager is worse than my record on the coupon. I don’t bother putting one on anymore, because I know I am not very good at it. Similarly, I would suggest they consider selling their shares and resigning their positions on the board too

Edited by qos_75

5 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

Hopefully Sandra takes a new approach to interviewing where rather than making a statement and seeing if Bartley agrees with her she actually asks some direct pertinent, questions, such as:

- After a good performance last week why did you change the personnel and formation?

- Why was Botterill dropped?

- Why did you wait until Alloa scored before deciding to throw four subs on in the space of three minutes?

That's not going to happen though, is it?  We'll probably just get the usual "Well Marvin, another bad result today?" line of "questioning".

Tbf to Sandra, she's the in house media person. She's never going to try to make him uncomfortable. This is where it would be good if the Standard, Westsound, or a grassroots media person was putting out interviews 

17 minutes ago, qos_75 said:

We can do this dance again the next three or four seasons. Hire and fire, hire and fire. Nothing will improve. 

There is a common denominator to our failure though - the  board.

They may all have successful businesses outside of football. Sadly, they do not have a good track record in football. That’s being kind. 

It’s like an abusive relationship. They seem to care little about the club. Yet, we are told nobody else is interested in us. It’s almost like we should be thankful for what we have. 

If that is the case,, it isn’t any wonder fans are voting with their feet.  Let’s not kid ourselves. We are heading back to the Harkness years. The rot has set in and needs to be cut out, or we are well and truly fucked. 

At this rate I can genuinely see us following the Shire, Berwick and Cowdenbeath. 

Unfortunately the only people with any kind of clout who have a chance of removing him or at least making it uncomfortable at match days is the travel club and the majority of them appear to have the mindset like you say of although he's not perfect no one else will take it on we should stick. 

I just don't know how bad it needs to get before people wake up and see the bigger picture. 

19 minutes ago, Priti priti priti Patel said:

Sensible post. 

The problem preventing new faces coming forward however is that some of the potential directors will not set foot near the boardroom while the current chairman is in place.  In the same way that some fans who have invested their time, skills and knowledge into the club in the past refuse even to attend matches while he is running the show.

That is a good post too.

Hewitson must know he isn’t universally loved in the local business and wider community in general. 

Yet by holding on to his position he is harming the club he is ‘supposed’ to love. 

I would also say as Queesn fans we are either far too nice, or apathetic.

If this had been the likes of Falkirk, Morton or Dunfermline fans, they would be hounding their board every waking hour.

We just have a wee moan about it on here and with our mates. I include myself in this too. 

Edited by qos_75

11 minutes ago, qos_75 said:

I would also say as Queesn fans are either far too nice, or apathetic.

If this had been the likes of Falkirk, Morton or Dunfermline fans, they would be hounding their board every waking hour.

We just have a wee moan about it on here and with our mates. I include myself in this too. 

Absolutely this. And I include myself in this too. 

I sense that Marvin is firmly in “denial mode” - he undoubtedly believes that his modus operandi is the way forward for QOS and probably doesn’t see just how poor we are under his stewardship. We stumble on from defeat to defeat with no attempt to change our style of play or try something different. It is a case of getting someone in who can hopefully eradicate the possibility of relegation and rebuild as best we can with the limitations of the squad. Trimming the squad would be a good start because we have far too many players who are simply not good enough. If we could even get 2/3 really solid seasoned Pros in with the right attitude some of our better players will probably respond and start playing to their potential.

Whatever the way forward is let’s hope it doesn’t involve “passing the ball to death” in our own final third.

8 hours ago, qos_75 said:

That is a good post too.

Hewitson must know he isn’t universally loved in the local business and wider community in general. 

Yet by holding on to his position he is harming the club he is ‘supposed’ to love. 

Interesting that you think Hewitson knows he isn't universally loved in the local business community, I take it you must have had feedback from a lot of local business people to base this statement on.  As for "the wider community", unless they're Queens fans I doubt they care about him either way. 

14 hours ago, qos_75 said:

It is a shame. I like Marvin and want him to do well.

The good thing for him is our board don’t generally get rid of a manager for poor results during a season. So he probably isn’t under too much pressure.

The worrying thing is that we have been on a death spiral for a few seasons now. It really does need addressed. 

I agree. I find him intelligent, engaging and professional. 

in his interview yesterday he did miss the point though. Why go to three at the back, start negatively, play out ponderously in triangles to marked men and then after being a goal down bring on 4 attackers. 

it was a brutal watch and the fans are really really unhappy. 

Let’s get on the front foot and attack teams from the off and entertain if nothing else. 

He quite rightly talks about doing the simple things well. I’m just not sure that we have players capable of playing to his system. 

Our season has been disastrous so far and so he has to change our results in the next few weeks or circumstances will overtake him. 

it’s a five hour round trip for me to go to Palmerston and at the minute it’s a difficult choice to sacrifice my entire Saturday to watch that boring dross. I’ve paid my 450 quid sponsors money so don’t feel guilty but I just want to have a Saturday night that isn’t ruined for a change! 

9 hours ago, Priti priti priti Patel said:

Tbf to Sandra, she's the in house media person. She's never going to try to make him uncomfortable. This is where it would be good if the Standard, Westsound, or a grassroots media person was putting out interviews 

It amazes me how many people don't understand this. If you're working for club media then you can't ask the same questions you'd ask as an independent reporter. More often than not the club media questions are agreed before the interview with the boss too.

Club media's job is to provide PR on behalf of the club.

We did a Q&A with Faz the other week where he asked me and another local paper reporter to host it, and nothing was off the table for that reason.