The Queen of the South thread

Only ourselves to blame. Wish him well/know he'll do well. Really hope Dickenson can fill his shoes and it's not as big a blow as it feels just now. 

That's a bugger, but you can't blame young Lewis - the lure of Championship football plus the bigger wage that will no doubt go with it.  It's a shame but we could never manage to match that combination, especially with Rovers now being externally funded.

Personally, I'd have thought that another season at Palmy at L1 level would have served him well getting more game time under a new manager before stepping up.  He's definitely a talent in the making but I'm not sure that he'll actually get all that much game time at Starks next season, time will tell though.  Good luck Lewis - he's one of our own!

Massive potential though still on the development trajectory which Bartley wanted to destroy. Will be interesting to see how he manages the step up and if he manages to be a regular starter. Happy he's not gone to another team in league 1.

Sick as the proverbial parrot at that news. But you can't blame him wanting to move to a higher level. Pretty certain that last year under MB didn't encourage him to stay and I'm sure his Dad would have advised him to take the opportunity of higher league football also. But he's one of our own and can only wish him all the best for his future. Who's next?

4 minutes ago, sneeuq said:

Massive potential though still on the development trajectory which Bartley wanted to destroy. Will be interesting to see how he manages the step up and if he manages to be a regular starter.

Not a hope of being a regular starter, we’re decently equipped at his position. What he will hopefully get this season is regular chances to play, and lots of time with players and coaches who can add to his skills (more crossing, short passing game, etc). Given he got a three-year deal, and we have Premiership aspirations in that period, seems clear that Potter and IM think he’s capable of top level development. Really hope the massive potential is correct.

12 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Not a hope of being a regular starter, we’re decently equipped at his position. What he will hopefully get this season is regular chances to play, and lots of time with players and coaches who can add to his skills (more crossing, short passing game, etc). Given he got a three-year deal, and we have Premiership aspirations in that period, seems clear that Potter and IM think he’s capable of top level development. Really hope the massive potential is correct.

So, the smart move is ... loan him back to Queens for the next season to ensure that he gets maximum game time to ensure his development through to the Rovers 1st team when you go up.  It'll be a tragedy to see a young talent like that warming a bench for most of the season.

Just now, Otis Blue said:

So, the smart move is ... loan him back to Queens for the next season to ensure that he gets maximum game time to ensure his development through to the Rovers 1st team when you go up.  It'll be a tragedy to see a young talent like that warming a bench for most of the season.

Wouldn't rule that out tbh.

Just now, Double Jack D said:

Wouldn't rule that out tbh.

Too far away, and not a management team that IM is familiar with…but, honestly, could easily see a loan deal next January to somewhere closer by, but I’d expect IM to want the laddie close for a few months.

He may have moved on anyway but I suspect strongly that Bartley's treatment of him had a negative effect.  Always remember Bartley saying not long after he came in that Gibson was playing too many games for his age !

Well, he certainly stuck to that and denied the Palmerston faithful many opportunities to enjoy a wonderful local talent that could positively impact games.  McKechnie always seemed to be his favourite despite the fact he could not deliver a decent cross ever.

He - Bartley - just did not get anything right.

2 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Too far away, and not a management team that IM is familiar with…but, honestly, could easily see a loan deal next January to somewhere closer by, but I’d expect IM to want the laddie close for a few months.

Too far away ... really?  We're talking Scotland here, not Texas ...

3 minutes ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

He may have moved on anyway but I suspect strongly that Bartley's treatment of him had a negative effect.  Always remember Bartley saying not long after he came in that Gibson was playing too many games for his age !

Well, he certainly stuck to that and denied the Palmerston faithful many opportunities to enjoy a wonderful local talent that could positively impact games.  McKechnie always seemed to be his favourite despite the fact he could not deliver a decent cross ever.

He - Bartley - just did not get anything right.

I'm sure Bartley's masterclass in man-management didn't help, but I'm sure that ultimately it was the lure of higher level football and the bigger wage that decided the issue.  FWIW I'm sure that Queens probably did everything they could to entice him to stay - but it was literally out of our league.

Aye, and he may not be actually moving to live in or near Kirkcaldy.

If it was Texas it would be fine…125 miles is a drive to school…

Seriously, I heard you were moving training back south, no?

Just now, TxRover said:

Split between Hamilton and Palmerston, no idea how it will work tho.

4 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Aye, and he may not be actually moving to live in or near Kirkcaldy.

True enough, but IM’s said about several youth/young players that he wants them around the team full time at first to teach them properly how to be players. That’s likely less of an issue with Lewis, but is he near Hamilton now?

1 minute ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Split between Hamilton and Palmerston, no idea how it will work tho.

Are you a hybrid squad now?

2 minutes ago, TxRover said:

That's my point, it's hardly the other side of the planet.

As @Fae_the_'briggs has said, out training will be a hybrid split between Hamilton and Dumfries next season.

1 minute ago, TxRover said:

True enough, but IM’s said about several youth/young players that he wants them around the team full time at first to teach them properly how to be players. That’s likely less of an issue with Lewis, but is he near Hamilton now?

No to the first question, Dumfries.

No, full-time to the second.

1 minute ago, TxRover said:

I think he lives in Dumfries.

We are (I believe) aiming to be a full time squad.  However, I'm sure if a quality part-time player was of interest and it could be accommodated then we might make the odd exception - just a guess though.