The Queen of the South thread

1 hour ago, Dougie Mills said:

Queens have posted highlights from Tuesday:

Didn't give Ross the credit he deserved for the first one. Thought Lyon did all the work but Ross did really well to win the ball. 

Two good finishes, particularly Walker's. A lot of strikers (and McKechnie) would have swung at that first time. Very good composure from him. Like SD, from my angle I thought Lyon's goal was more central but it was further over than I first thought. Stewart got Douglas out a hole with a really good stop early on (which again, from my angle I never appreciated at the time). We were in control from 3-1 up. 

Not a bad evening given we'd have almost certainly lost that kind of game last season. 

26 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I much prefer you to this @19QOS19 chap ;)

My tuppence worth, a decent enough signing. He’s frustrating in his all round game but his record for us was decent 

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

You'll get mixed reviews I'd imagine. He scored more goals for us than many Hamilton (and me!) fans expected. In general I thought he was a big donkey tbh. Didn't think he held the ball up well for a guy his size, can't recall him winning too many headers or coming close to bullying defenders. 

Delighted he wasn't signed again tbh. PT football may well suit him though and Farrell got a tune from Ruth (who I was delighted to see the back of as well) so there's no reason he can't work his magic on Mumbongo. 

Another one I'll be interested to see how he gets on at Dumbarton. 

This. Pleased he's signed elsewhere, will stop people suggesting he re-signs.

2 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Hello frens. Seen as we love signing your old boys, please talk to me about Joel Mumbongo.

So that'll be ... Durnan, McGuffie, Ruth and Mumbongo all ex QOS at The Rock? Think we know how this story unfolds across 4 particular games this season ...

NB - Mumbongo, lad works hard but wouldn't really see him as outstanding at this level.

3 hours ago, Dougie Mills said:

Queens have posted highlights from Tuesday:

Forgot that early miss from McKechnie ... dearie me, looks worse looking back.

Probably being a bit harsh on Harry with his shot off the bar, but thought with his quality he might have buried that.

We took our three goals well though, and Lyon is a proper player. Encouraging signs though with a makeshift side.

2 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I much prefer you to this @19QOS19 chap ;)

I’m much closer to that assessment of him as well. I liked him, good physical presence, works hard and capable of a decent touch and finish. Doesn’t always come off for him, and sometimes he looks like a bit daft because of that. I’d have had him back. 

46 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Probably being a bit harsh on Harry with his shot off the bar, but thought with his quality he might have buried that.

We took our three goals well though, and Lyon is a proper player. Encouraging signs though with a makeshift side.

McKechnie really has to leave it for Lyon. Although, if he does and Lyon misses he maybe doesnt take on the shot later.

To be fair, Cochrane hits it first time, as hes running and on his weaker foot. I think he did pretty well to get it that close!

11 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

Wee bit harsh on Cochrane as it's his weaker foot, a wee bit, but agree with the rest. Nicely taken goals and good to see us pressing high up the park.

10 hours ago, Homer Thompson said:

McKechnie really has to leave it for Lyon. Although, if he does and Lyon misses he maybe doesnt take on the shot later.

To be fair, Cochrane hits it first time, as hes running and on his weaker foot. I think he did pretty well to get it that close!

31 minutes ago, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:

Wee bit harsh on Cochrane as it's his weaker foot, a wee bit, but agree with the rest. Nicely taken goals and good to see us pressing high up the park.

Aye, my OP acknowledged in advance that I was possibly being a wee bit harsh on Harry ... it certainly wasn't an easy one.

12 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

So that'll be ... Durnan, McGuffie, Ruth and Mumbongo all ex QOS at The Rock? Think we know how this story unfolds across 4 particular games this season ...

NB - Mumbongo, lad works hard but wouldn't really see him as outstanding at this level.

Bartley tried to sign Kalvin Orsi and Finlay Gray last summer too, but obviously he hadn't got the memo that players now come to us from you lot. Not the other way around!

Murphy in today's papers saying he might have to ask referees to give better protection to his players. Aye, the same Murphy who managed a very "physical" Annan side. Queens have been too powderpuff for a few seasons now, I'd like to see us being  bit more physical and "streetwise" instead, if the opposition decide to dish it out we must try and match them in the dark arts side of the game. 

39 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Murphy in today's papers saying he might have to ask referees to give better protection to his players. Aye, the same Murphy who managed a very "physical" Annan side. Queens have been too powderpuff for a few seasons now, I'd like to see us being  bit more physical and "streetwise" instead, if the opposition decide to dish it out we must try and match them in the dark arts side of the game. 

Can see his point after the EK players were clearly out to get Lyon. Personally I'm happy we have a player or two who opposition players want to hurt! 

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

Can see his point after the EK players were clearly out to get Lyon. Personally I'm happy we have a player or two who opposition players want to hurt! 

Aye, but he also mentioned some of the challenges in the Dumbarton game. Thought it just a bit ironic him wanting Refs to protect his players given how he had Annan performing. Used to be quite normal in the good old days, before football got all namby-pamby,  to target the opposition danger man, not condoning that of course but we need to match teams in aggression when needed.

5 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

To be fair, EK are a bunch of hammer throwers with a couple of decent enough players who are only at them for the cash. They were very physical when we played them and, if I was being critical of ourselves, we let it effect our game too much.

4 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Aye, but he also mentioned some of the challenges in the Dumbarton game. Thought it just a bit ironic him wanting Refs to protect his players given how he had Annan performing. Used to be quite normal in the good old days, before football got all namby-pamby,  to target the opposition danger man, not condoning that of course but we need to match teams in aggression when needed.

Haha. We are hardly a big physical side. I wasn't at the match but didn't hear anything afterwards about any hard challenged etc. Maybe he should have signed a few more physical players since it is such a big part of playing at our level.

29 minutes ago, squeezebox-son said:

To be fair, EK are a bunch of hammer throwers with a couple of decent enough players who are only at them for the cash. They were very physical when we played them and, if I was being critical of ourselves, we let it effect our game too much.

Haha. We are hardly a big physical side. I wasn't at the match but didn't hear anything afterwards about any hard challenged etc. Maybe he should have signed a few more physical players since it is such a big part of playing at our level.

Aye they certainly gave our guys a few kicks. Absolutely nothing dangerous though but it made me laugh seeing Ferry jumping up and down constantly after said hammer throwers went through our players time after time. Perhaps they get away with it more often in the LL. 

28 minutes ago, squeezebox-son said:

I actually think we are quite a physical side now, even if we aren't a team of big huge guys. Right through spine of the team we have guys who can handle themselves. I haven't read Murphy's comments but if he's genuinely concerned about tackles taking place in what are glorified friendlies then he's likely going to lose his mind when the real stuff starts.