The Queen of the South thread

Simply , Willie McClaren was a lazy bar steward with a terrible attitude . Yes, talented , but you have to marry the talent with a bit of toil to make a player of yourself. McClaren has had numerous chances to make the most of his talent but never will

Sent from my GT-S5839i using Pie & Bovril mobile app

Would like to wish Queens all the best for the new season.

After the utter madness of Stephen Kennys' reign at EEP, JM stablised our club & once he was allowed to shape the team with players he actually wanted, got us playing exciting attractive football. Obviously it was all on tick but watching Gibson, Cardle & Graham running at full backs was refreshing & made the admission fee worthwhile.

As others have stated Division 1 is probably his level. No disgrace in that & I'm sure if he got the chance of SPL football again, he will have learned from his mistakes from 2 years ago.

Good to see he's brought Gerry McCabe in too.

Good luck!

Willies McLaren and Gibson are essentially the same: all the ability in the world, but in both cases they lacked the attitude and ambition to make the most of their God-given talents.

Shame, really.

edited - Hawk beat me by about half a second...

I can see the similarities, although Gibson had the potential to play at a much higher level. He didn't, mainly due to his attitude. He'll probably look back in years to come, and realise he fucked up

If Black has signed for Annan it is their business to report it, not Queens. He is out of contract, and no longer affiliated with the club.

Should Queens not be due a payment of academy rights as the player is under 23??

Should Queens not be due a payment of academy rights as the player is under 23??

I have met you Cammy and you are a decent guy but you come out with some daft things. You say it was not up to Queens to report Black leaving but why would they not ? A young man that has spent ten years at the club . Before we go any further , I know people like SD and MrX put a helluva lot of voluntary hours into Queens but don't anyone try to justify non reporting when apparently some have merited a mention and others not.

Willie McLaren was a great player for Queens.

No he wasn't. You're overstating his contribution.

I love players like McLaren. Give me talent over industry any day. I just don't think he did enough for us. He scored a couple of classy goals and was a good outlet with his ability to hold the ball and use it well.

For long, long spells though, he offered next to nothing.

He also allegedly displayed contempt for the club and town. This would be forgivable if he'd been as good as you claim. He wasn't though.

The comparison with Gibson is valid, but Gibson's been better, which is why he's moved for significant money to the highest spending lower division side in England.

Simply , Willie McClaren was a lazy bar steward with a terrible attitude . Yes, talented , but you have to marry the talent with a bit of toil to make a player of yourself. McClaren has had numerous chances to make the most of his talent but never will

Willie McLaren can be summed up in one word. Frustrating! Yes he could be lazy, he was also extremely talented, and capable of producing pieces of absolute magic. The sort of magic moments where you put up with 89 minutes of dross in return for that one piece of sublime skill that wins you a game. He will know himself that he has not made anything like the best use of his abilities, and I am sure that come the end of his career he will look back with a certain amount of frustration.

There are similarities between Willie McLaren and a player that a lot of older ones will remember in Henry Templeton. Both skilful and non workers alike although Henry had far more talent than Willie .

There are similarities between Willie McLaren and a player that a lot of older ones will remember in Henry Templeton. Both skilful and non workers alike although Henry had far more talent than Willie .

Yes I liked Templeton.

You've got to remember how shit we were when he shone though. I don't doubt that both he and McLaren had talent and workshy tendencies.

My favourite all-time Queens player, Dobbie, was often accused of laziness. In my book, there are worse crimes on a football field.

I just think that McLaren's brilliance was too pale and fleeting to justify the rest of his game.

I have met you Cammy and you are a decent guy but you come out with some daft things. You say it was not up to Queens to report Black leaving but why would they not ? A young man that has spent ten years at the club . Before we go any further , I know people like SD and MrX put a helluva lot of voluntary hours into Queens but don't anyone try to justify non reporting when apparently some have merited a mention and others not.

When are you going to give it a rest about Steven Black leaving!? He would of spent this season sitting on the bench for the most part which is hardly good for his development. Am I right in saying the boys in his 20's now? If that's the case it was time to move on. There is more to life than QOS.

When are you going to give it a rest about Steven Black leaving!? He would of spent this season sitting on the bench for the most part which is hardly good for his development. Am I right in saying the boys in his 20's now? If that's the case it was time to move on. There is more to life than QOS.

I won't say any more on him until he signs back here. Satisfied ?

Yes I liked Templeton.

You've got to remember how shit we were when he shone though.  I don't doubt that both he and McLaren had talent and workshy tendencies. 

My favourite all-time Queens player, Dobbie, was often accused of laziness.  In my book, there are worse crimes on a football field.

I just think that McLaren's brilliance was too pale and fleeting to justify the rest of his game.

Remember an amazing goal that Templeton scored at Palmerston in a cup tie in the early nineties. Started skinning folk on the half way line and kept going and going before slotting by the keeper.

Steven Black has now found his level in the 3rd Div.

He is not good enough for the 1st Div yet but maybe with a seasion or two in the 3rd Div

he could then make the move up.

This could be a good move for everyone Black gets games at Annan we get someone who is ready for the 1st team now

Guest Flash

@Flash - everyone want's every player to have pace, its the same at every level the faster players tend to be attacker and the slower ones defenders.

@footymanic - that makes no sense IMO, he signed players who won a league title. Nothing "predictable" about that.

@logiesboots - Willie McLaren was a good player for Queen's, helped us to two 4th place finishes. Even playing out of position as a wing back on a number of occasions under KB.

@FC_1919 - Durnan not as fast as Weatherston = ok. Campbell not as fast as my granny running in snow shoes on a treacle covered beach = not ok.