The Queen of the South thread

But we should be scoring more. I know antell is feeling the pressure but being jeered by your own fans will not fill him with confidence. Robinson was the same when he first came to us. He never filled me with confidence but look at him now he's left a hero after last year. And rightly so he done well. At the end of the day confidence plays a big part. Maybe antell is trying too hard or maybe he is just pish but at the moment he's all we have so nowt we can do.

Robinson didn't fill me with confidence at the outset either, but let's not pretend that he experienced anything like the crisis poor Antell is experiencing. I actually feel very sorry for him. It must feel really horrible. The truth is however that the fact McIntyre signed him and keeps playing him, is proving very costly for us.

Guest TOPFITTER

Robinson didn't fill me with confidence at the outset either, but let's not pretend that he experienced anything like the crisis poor Antell is experiencing. I actually feel very sorry for him. It must feel really horrible. The truth is however that the fact McIntyre signed him and keeps playing him, is proving very costly for us.

Jim Atkinson's stoicism during the choppy waters that are Antell's QOS baptism may yet prove to be the key to the door of his second first team outing.

To be honest listening to Queens fans is career suicide as generally those who whinge out loud think it's 1955 and the classic 4-4-2 still works.

But surely keeping some who has scored in 3 of the last 3 league on is the logical thing to do and that it's obvious that the goalkeeper is fucking dreadful.

I appreciate Derek Lyle for what he has done for us but he should not be untouchable as he is well past it at this level.

Think in 1955 they still had inside forwards, wing halfs, half backs and the like. 4-4-2 had still to be invented

Agree re. Lyle. Given his experience I feel he could still be an asset further back ( wing half maybe ^_^ ) but certainly not up front and most certainly not on his own!

I didnt think any keeper could be worse than Barry John Corr

It's very reminiscent of his spell with us, but there are key differences.

The signing of BJC looked like a good one. He'd had a strong season with Stranraer and had attracted interest from clubs like St Mirren. There was no real reason to assume in advance that it would go horribly wrong. In Antell' s case however, there was little to commend him at the time he came aboard. Indeed, many Queens fans had reservations, based on what little they'd seen.

We also knew back then that we had another capable 'keeper at the club in Scott and replacing BJC was therefore more straightforward than the introduction of a rookie would be.

FWIW, I thought McCall should have lent BJC more public support when he was struggling. He couldn't be blamed for signing him in the same way that McIntyre can be here though.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

Jim has been sitting quietly in the back ground

Now the time has come for his chance of first team football

I don't think Jim is the answer either, we need an experienced keeper to train with both these guys and bring them on while having a good number 1 on the pitch. Alan Combe on loan from Hearts also a keeper coach with hearts could be a shout. Not sure what standard he would be now though. Could he be worse ?

4-4-2 isnt the problem in the same way that 4-3-3 isnt the problem. The problem is the personnel you deploy in whatever system you use, something McIntyre seems to have difficulty with.

This.

We have got an experienced keeper training with Calum & Jim

If anything, Antell has got worse as the season has progressed. So the coaching isn't actually achieving anything. How do you coach somebody not to throw the ball into their own net?

A very experienced keeper but nothing can be done for Antell as it is 99% confidence now. He needs a break an 7 month one would be deal.

The problem is McIntyre created this problem by signing Antell and only having a very young back up. Nothing can be done until January.

McIntyre said he would drop any player who isn't performing. If he is true to his word then Antell should be dropped & Atkinson should get a chance. Jim needs first team experience & won't get it sitting on the bench every week. If he's not going to get a game he might as well not be there.

This.

If anything, Antell has got worse as the season has progressed. So the coaching isn't actually achieving anything. How do you coach somebody not to throw the ball into their own net?

I reckon McIntyre has destroyed Antell's confidence with his crap tactics & team selections. When I saw him play in the friendly at Annan he was talking to his defence and now he just stands there & doesn't talk to the team leading to defensive chaos & mistakes like the one he did yesterday. I also get the impression that the defence have no confidence in Antell either.

Edited by Doctor Who

I reckon McIntyre has destroyed Antell's confidence with his crap tactics & team selections. When I saw him play in the friendly at Annan he was talking to his defence and now he just stands there & doesn't talk to the team leading to defensive chaos & mistakes like the one he did yesterday. I also get the impression that the defence have no confidence in Antell either.

Cannot agree with this, he has gone quiet cause he has lost his confidence. The system hasn't cost him the mistakes it's his ability as a goalkeeper. Trying to make excuses for the fact he is utter shite is embarrassing .

I'm all for giving young players a chance but I don't know what level Antell should be, he would struggle to get into a school team after that howler.

Since day one he has looked shaky and we still have the manager telling players to join the wall.

IMO he's a guy who wants to be a keeper and wants coaching to be a keeper not a keeper who wants coaching to get better.

Our no. 2 is the same so basically we don't have any goalkeepers.

I'm all for giving young players a chance but I don't know what level Antell should be, he would struggle to get into a school team after that howler.

Since day one he has looked shaky and we still have the manager telling players to join the wall.

IMO he's a guy who wants to be a keeper and wants coaching to be a keeper not a keeper who wants coaching to get better.

Our no. 2 is the same so basically we don't have any goalkeepers.

Maybe we should sign the goalkeeping coach?

Cannot agree with this, he has gone quiet cause he has lost his confidence. The system hasn't cost him the mistakes it's his ability as a goalkeeper. Trying to make excuses for the fact he is utter shite is embarrassing .

That is basically what I was trying to say. Just didn't word it very well :huh: