The Queen of the South thread

Is it too early to start worrying about relegation yet?

We are relegation candidates for sure. Any early season optimism that we could reach fourth spot (although I never thought we'd do quite as well as that) has evaporated. We just need to make sure we are not relegated. If McIntyre stays for the entire season, I dread to think what might happen.

Thing is that we are running teams close and then throwing it away and we haven't been pumped rotten like Morton or Cowdenbeath have this season. We just don't have either the fitness, composure or the confidence to win games. I'm worried but hopefully a new manager can find that something extra to push us over the line in games.

As I've said before, I think Jim McIntyre has the month of November to save his job. If he doesn't turn things around in the next 3 or 4 games then the Board has to make a change. 13 or 14 league games (plus all of our cup games) is a fair crack of the whip for anyone I would say and it just hasn't worked for him so far. The team has looked ok in patches, but is just not getting results and our goalkeeping situation is just horrendous and Jim has to carry the can for that I'm afraid.

I'm sure it will be costly to make the change, but not as costly as relegation and the prospect of another season in the 3rd tier.

Sorry Jim, I'm sure you're a decent guy but my thoughts are already turning to your replacement.

Making the change in November gives any new manager a month or so to look at his squad and decide what he needs to bring in during the January transfer window (like an experienced keeper for example!!)

Possible contenders, off the top of my head, Ian Murray (Dumbarton) Paul Hartley (Alloa) David Weir, Barry Smith, Neil Warnock (read an article on him recently and he's been keen to manage in Scotland for a long time) Jimmy Calderwood, Kenny Shiels............etc, etc.

As I've said before, I think Jim McIntyre has the month of November to save his job. If he doesn't turn things around in the next 3 or 4 games then the Board has to make a change. 13 or 14 league games (plus all of our cup games) is a fair crack of the whip for anyone I would say and it just hasn't worked for him so far. The team has looked ok in patches, but is just not getting results and our goalkeeping situation is just horrendous and Jim has to carry the can for that I'm afraid.

I'm sure it will be costly to make the change, but not as costly as relegation and the prospect of another season in the 3rd tier.

Sorry Jim, I'm sure you're a decent guy but my thoughts are already turning to your replacement.

Making the change in November gives any new manager a month or so to look at his squad and decide what he needs to bring in during the January transfer window (like an experienced keeper for example!!)

Possible contenders, off the top of my head, Ian Murray (Dumbarton) Paul Hartley (Alloa) David Weir, Barry Smith, Neil Warnock (read an article on him recently and he's been keen to manage in Scotland for a long time) Jimmy Calderwood, Kenny Shiels............etc, etc.

I have to say, I cant see any of those people managing Queens

You're right. These are the only things between us and the results we want.

For all the talk of the defensive problems and the missed chances, I actually think its the midfield that is the problem. McKenna and Burns have been big misses, but McIntyre has never got that midfield right. From pushing McKenna forward, to playing McGuffie there and the farce of McShane and Young, he has never found a combination that works.

Kevin DZ is great on the ball, with wonderful vision but defensively hes very naive - which is, of course, to be expected. McShane looks good in patches but just isnt ready for this level of football. Without McKenna or Burns that leaves Young with too much to do. It leaves the team struggling defensively and with little creativity in the final third.

Hopefully, McKenna will be back soon. Having him alongside Young should, hopefully, give us a bit more bite in the middle of the park. I would also be tempted to try Russell or Paton behind the striker to give us a bit more creativity up front

For all the talk of the defensive problems and the missed chances, I actually think its the midfield that is the problem. McKenna and Burns have been big misses, but McIntyre has never got that midfield right. From pushing McKenna forward, to playing McGuffie there and the farce of McShane and Young, he has never found a combination that works.

Kevin DZ is great on the ball, with wonderful vision but defensively hes very naive - which is, of course, to be expected. McShane looks good in patches but just isnt ready for this level of football. Without McKenna or Burns that leaves Young with too much to do. It leaves the team struggling defensively and with little creativity in the final third.

Hopefully, McKenna will be back soon. Having him alongside Young should, hopefully, give us a bit more bite in the middle of the park. I would also be tempted to try Russell or Paton behind the striker to give us a bit more creativity up front

The midfield isn't the problem. It is one of the problems. But I do agree with what you're saying. You could add that this is a season too far for Young.

Even with all the problems, including the midfield, we'd have more points if we'd signed a goalkeeper in July.

The midfield isn't the problem. It is one of the problems. But I do agree with what you're saying. You could add that this is a season too far for Young.

Even with all the problems, including the midfield, we'd have more points if we'd signed a goalkeeper in July.

Yes. When I said "the" problem, I meant the biggest problem. Unfortunately, it is looking that way for Young. Hopefully, the return of McKenna and Burns will make take a bit of the pressure off him

Signing a decent keeper in October might have helped :ph34r:

A keeper signed in January and all our midfielders fit and we will be fine. We are a very good side as we showed today but silly individual errors are costing us dear every week. The keeper should of dealt with the first goal better but if Iirc it was a free kick that went wrongly against us. Second goal I think Higgy was a bit too quick to put it out for a throw the ball had enough pace on it to attempt to shield it out for a goal kick. If it somehow stuck up in the wet surface he still would of been able to do this, a bit knit picking after a fine display from him and Durnan. Mcshane is no more than a passenger at this level and the sooner we are at full strength the better. He almost never does anything when he is in the final third and I would be astonished if he scored goals on a regular basis. Remember he is playing in a position where McIntyre expects the player to chip in with goals just ask McKenna. Reilly put in a great shift with no real support chasing everything down and only really having two sights of goal. Iain Russell has become something of a fans favourite which I am not really seeing. He gets frozen out the game out wide he just simply isn't a winger McIntyre. Would be tempted to go with this at Alloa if everyone is fit.

Clark

Mitchell Durnan Higgins Holt

Young Kev

Danny Russell (Mcshane role) Paton

Reilly (we all know it will be Lyle)

No Chance, No Chance, maybe, No thank you, No thank you, No way in hell, no thanks, unlikely.

I'd love Kenny Shiels to be available but I very much doubt he'd want come here. Neil Warnock is about as likely as Antell coming off his line to catch a ball.

We lack goals in midfield, a goal poacher and somebody who can catch a ball. Apart from that we are fine.

i suggested Corrigan in the past from Stenhousemuir for being able to get a lot out of a small budget and having good links in the game, Mckinnon is having a bad season but it's hard for part time teams to get consistency year to year and maybe Sheerin. Lets face it Johnston won't be back anytime soon as much we'd like him to. Kille won't want to pay money to sack him and they might have turned the corner with their result today.

Apart from the goalkeeper, I think the main problem is the way we play. McIntyre seems to think that it is ok to have lots of the ball and, if you create 3 chances you should score 3 goals. It doesn't work like that even at the highest level. Teams never score 100% of their chances.

Last season in games, we'd have maybe 15-20 attempts at goal and score 5 of them. At this level, if you want to score 2-3 goals you need to have 10-15 attempts. Certainly you need to have a lot more than we do.

The opposition don't need to have as many attempts because we're gifting them goals, mainly via the goalkeeper. So they get easy goals, then sit in while we huff and puff not creating anything. But they generally still have more chances.

The things outwith his control are Young being here (that was a mistake) and the injuries to McKenna and Burns. The rest of it is down to the way we play plus having a terrible goalkeeper. And I doubt whether we could suddenly start playing like we did last season because they're not fit enough. And before anybody starts with "we were playing pub teams" the fitness levels were evident from totally dominating a second half against Dundee U, giving Killie a decent game with 10 men and matching Thistle over 120 minutes in a final. I don't think we could do any of those now.

. And I doubt whether we could suddenly start playing like we did last season because they're not fit enough. And before anybody starts with "we were playing pub teams" the fitness levels were evident from totally dominating a second half against Dundee U, giving Killie a decent game with 10 men and matching Thistle over 120 minutes in a final. I don't think we could do any of those now.

Would agree with all of that.

There has been a noticable decline in fitness.

That has to be down to the new manager and his training methods. ( or lack of them )