The Queen of the South thread

Why do we suddenly need a striker?

Is this to convert one of the masses of chances we are creating with McIntyre's brand of all out attacking football?

This, in fact if anyone is needed after last Saturday I think we need a left back.

Is this to convert one of the masses of chances we are creating with McIntyre's brand of all out attacking football?

Id like to see us bring in a striker, as long as its someone with a bit of pace and movement. I think that would help us turn more possession into chances. It would be nice if we could bring someone in who can create chances themselves, like Dobie did. Unfortunately, those kind of players are hard to come by

This, in fact if anyone is needed after last Saturday I think we need a left back.

A left back would be nice to provide Holt with some competition. However, he's still a young player and young players are inconsistent. A left back would be a bit of a luxury signing, in my opinion.

If we're looking outside of a striker, Id bring in a central midfielder to play alongside McKenna, presuming Young is going to be out for a while. McShane and Kev D have both done well in patches but Im not sure either are reliable enough to see out the season

All a new striker would be is a different face chasing shadows on his own.

Kenny Miller is a good shout after all his experience of running about on his own for similar exponents of anti-football shitebaggery.

All a new striker would be is a different face chasing shadows on his own.

Kenny Miller is a good shout after all his experience of running about on his own for similar exponents of anti-football shitebaggery.

We've had lots of possession in games but failed to create enough chances. In my opinion, a striker with a bit of movement would make runs that would create chances, either for themselves or by creating space for others. Both Reilly and Lyle are too static.

It would be nice to have someone with genuine pace too. We dont have a threat over the top and teams know this, meaning they can push up and press higher up the pitch. A striker with pace would mean teams would have to sit deeper, giving us more space to pass the ball

I couldn't agree less.

Reilly is many things, but static isn't one of them.

The real issue is the same as it was under Gus - a failure to attack enough. We had more attacks in the County game after he left than we had done in the previous 10 games. Consequently, even with the same players, we scored 3 goals against the best defence in the division. We ended up losing because Johnston couldn't do anything about their fitness in a few days and also because he sent the keeper up for a corner in the last minute. The game could just as easily have finished 4-4. Contrast that with the 0-0 borefest when we played them earlier in the season.

McIntyre has the same DNA as Gus. Attack a wee bit if you're drawing but, if you get ahead, hang on to what you have. In some cases, it is hang on to what you have if you are drawing. Notice that his half time team talk against Livi wasn't to go after them and get a 3rd to try to finish them off. It was all about not conceding. I totally agree that it is important not to concede, but that shows the emphasis is all negative. Any time we're ahead at half time, the second half is a non-event attacking wise.

Going to games is a chore now, like it was under Gus. The only difference is the players are a bit better, so can grind out some half decent results now that Antell is gone. And a new striker would make not one jot of difference to that.

I couldn't agree less.

Reilly is many things, but static isn't one of them.

The real issue is the same as it was under Gus - a failure to attack enough. We had more attacks in the County game after he left than we had done in the previous 10 games. Consequently, even with the same players, we scored 3 goals against the best defence in the division. We ended up losing because Johnston couldn't do anything about their fitness in a few days and also because he sent the keeper up for a corner in the last minute. The game could just as easily have finished 4-4. Contrast that with the 0-0 borefest when we played them earlier in the season.

McIntyre has the same DNA as Gus. Attack a wee bit if you're drawing but, if you get ahead, hang on to what you have. In some cases, it is hang on to what you have if you are drawing. Notice that his half time team talk against Livi wasn't to go after them and get a 3rd to try to finish them off. It was all about not conceding. I totally agree that it is important not to concede, but that shows the emphasis is all negative. Any time we're ahead at half time, the second half is a non-event attacking wise.

Going to games is a chore now, like it was under Gus. The only difference is the players are a bit better, so can grind out some half decent results now that Antell is gone. And a new striker would make not one jot of difference to that.

Reilly does a lot of work off the ball but he doesn't make enough good runs for me, especially in the final third.

The rest of your post may or may not be true, either way a striker with decent movement and pace would still improve what we have.

Like most on here you are very much into " if it aint broke don't fix it ". Why then are you desperate for Russell to play up front ?

I would like a big lad that will cause trouble in the other teams defence pull defenders out of the way creating space for wee gav to run into

i still think oconnor riordan partnership would be a no brainer.

I would like a big lad that will cause trouble in the other teams defence pull defenders out of the way creating space for wee gav to run into

i still think oconnor riordan partnership would be a no brainer.

No brainer in the sense that you'd need to have no brain to think it is a) a good idea and b) at all possible.

I dont see how it isnt possible we are a bigger club than morton and think it would be a fair shout to say we have more money than them.

(thats were he is training)

to be fair i can see both sides of the argument