The Queen of the South thread

Chatting about this thread to a mate whose surname is Colvin. He thinks we had a trialist/loan player of the same name in early 2000s.

Can`t say it rings a bell for me but wondered if might be the mystery man

I have lists of every first team game from the start of season 1999 onwards. Certainly no Colvin has played for us since then. No loan player then. Of course he may well have been a Trialist who never went above Reserve level.

Have been contacted by Colin Johnstone to say he's found the mysterious Mr Colvin. David Colvin was a Trialist who played in a pre-season friendly at Gala in 2002. He actually scored the 4th goal in our 4-0 win. There's a match report to be found here:

http://www.qosarchive.co.uk/060702.htm

Stuart McGrady?

Yes. McGrady, from Ayr United, was Iain Scott's final signing. He never actually played for us though.

EDIT - And on that note, I'm going for a beer. I will check on the phone to see if anyone gets the missing name who we actually paid a small fee for but wasn't around long.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Have been contacted by Colin Johnstone to say he's found the mysterious Mr Colvin. David Colvin was a Trialist who played in a pre-season friendly at Gala in 2002. He actually scored the 4th goal in our 4-0 win. There's a match report to be found here:

http://www.qosarchive.co.uk/060702.htm

Cheers SD and Colin. Great research. Top notch.

Ironically No 7 is the only one we actuallly paid a fee for...

On a side note, and I know you are busy with this at the moment (many thanks by the way) but do you, through these records have a total figure for fees paid by queens for players to other clubs? Say from connolly onwards? My guess would be that it would be a pretty low figure for a team that has been playing in the second tier for most of this millennium.

Ps I dont expect an answer just now but I thought id ask now while I thought of it.

Chris Armstrong.

Correct. Signed for a small fee from Rochdale.

That completes Iain Scott's list. Not exactly full of resounding successes was it? His biggest successes apart from Lovell were recapturing Lyle and O'Neill and to a lesser extent McLaughlin.

McCall next but with a game tomorrow we will leave it to Sunday or Monday night.

On a side note, and I know you are busy with this at the moment (many thanks by the way) but do you, through these records have a total figure for fees paid by queens for players to other clubs? Say from connolly onwards? My guess would be that it would be a pretty low figure for a team that has been playing in the second tier for most of this millennium.

Ps I dont expect an answer just now but I thought id ask now while I thought of it.

I will have the numbers but through my job rather than because it was published. I wouldnt be able to comment on numbers. Inevitably there werent many fees paid but I doubt many non top division sides would have paid much in the last 15 years. We will be no worse than most.

I will have the numbers but through my job rather than because it was published. I wouldnt be able to comment on numbers. Inevitably there werent many fees paid but I doubt many non top division sides would have paid much in the last 15 years. We will be no worse than most.

Ok no worries.

Bob mchugh striker from Motherwell expected to join up with QoS for rest of season on loan after Motherwell v hearts game this weekend.

A striker who's the same height as Lyle and Gav and has a scoring record on a par with our defenders. Sounds about right for a McIntyre signing!

When you see all of Scotts signings grouped together like that it makes pretty tragic reading!

Yeah, when you look at it in retrospect, and discount the three returning players he didn't source directly himself (McLaughlin, Lyle and O'Neill), it wasn't good.

Lovell had one superb season under McCall when he should have gotten Player of the Year. Richie Barnard was a decent enough keeper IMO but fell out with McCall and left. Tommy English and David McNiven did okay and David Craig did a job as a short term stop gap at centre half. The rest were just awful.

In fairness he inherited a decent squad and didn't have to make mass changes to it but his big signings the exception of Lovell really didn't work.