The Queen of the South thread

The final list then:

1. Shaun Dillon (free transfer from Kilmarnock)

2. Graham Weir (loan initially from Hearts but later signed properly)

3. Ryan McStay (loan from Falkirk)

4. Michael Mullen (free transfer from Newmilns Vesuvius)

5. Andy Thomson (free transfer from Falkirk)

6. Andy Aitken (free transfer from Gretna)

7. Sean O'Connor (free agent from Morecambe)

8. Murray Henderson (freedom of contract from Stranraer)

9. John Henry (free agent from St Johnstone)

10. Stephen Swift (freedom of contract from Stranraer)

11. Neil Scally (free agent from Falkirk)

12. Barry John Corr (freedom of contract from Stranraer)

13. Jim Lauchlan (free transfer from Ross County)

14. Scott McKenzie (free agent from Hamilton Academical)

15. Lewis Sloan (free agent from Gretna)

16. Barry Callaghan (loan from Dundee United)

17. Dermott McCaffrey (loan from Hibernian)

18. Warren Moon (free agent from Queensland Roar)

19. Andrew Barrowman (loan from Kilmarnock and later returned on a short term contract)

20. Craig Hinchcliffe (loan from St Mirren)

21. Jamie McQuilken (free transfer from Gretna)

22. Stephen Dobbie (a Gift from God himself............ok, free transfer from St Johnstone then)

23. Jamie MacDonald (loan from Hearts)

24. Jamie Adams (loan from Kilmarnock)

25. Stevie Murray (loan from Kilmarnock)

26. Stevie Tosh (free transfer from Gretna)

I've split McCall's list into three distinct parts because it probably needs looked at in three distinct windows.

The first seven were the players he pulled in to ignite the Great Escape Mark I. Generally speaking they did the necessary and got us out of it so you'd have to say generally they were a success, though in reality that had nearly as much to do with Stranraer selling off Allan Jenkins as anything else. To be fair to him, the deals to re-sign Aitken and O'Connor were on the table for the window before McCall arrived and had been started by Scott. Indeed O'Connor's probably only ultimately went though because we missed out on a bid to sign Carl Finnigan who went to Falkirk instead. Dillon was steady enough. McStay had confidence on the ball that had been lacking in our midfield up to that point. Weir and Mullen hassled and harrassed defenders in a way we hadn't been doing until then and even if they really weren't all that good they did enough. Andy Thomson still had the head if not really the legs and more importantly his signing excited the terraces again along with the returns of Aitken and O'Connor.

McCall himself later admitted that given his first summer window to construct a squad he got it wrong, signed experienced players he trusted but turned out to be too old. Notwithstanding that I personally still think Barrowman got more criticism than he deserved. The guys from 8 to 19 weren't good enough other than Scally. Hinchcliffe was good enough but was short term injury cover and maybe if we had succeeded in keeping him we'd never have seen Jamie MacDonald here and not reached the Scottish Cup Final 16 months later!

His final window though was a resounding success. In Dobbie he probably signed our best player ever, and got him for nothing! In Tosh he signed another top class player. MacDonald, McQuilken and Adams were all excellent for us too and two of them went on to play in that Cup Final. And out of all that, Dobbie and possibly Adams apart, the other guy, Stevie Murray was probably the best of them in that Great Escape Part II. As a single month of signings it's hard to believe the club has ever had a better one.

There's no doubt whatever you think of him, McCall left a far, far better squad than we had when he arrived. He was a bit fortunate in that Gretna's impending collapse got us a couple of players who wouldn't otherwise have been here but the Gibson to Kilmarnock in exchange for four players (including Gibson himself back on loan) was a great piece of business and the signing of MacDonald was inspired. Credit where it's due.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

The final list then:

19. Andrew Barrowman (loan from Kilmarnock and later returned on a short term contract)

22. Stephen Dobbie (a Gift from God himself............ok, free transfer from St Johnstone then)

I've split McCall's list into three distinct parts because it probably needs looked at in three distinct windows.

The first seven were the players he pulled in to ignite the Great Escape Mark I. Generally speaking they did the necessary and got us out of it so you'd have to say generally they were a success, though in reality that had nearly as much to do with Stranraer selling off Allan Jenkins as anything else. To be fair to him, the deals to re-sign Aitken and O'Connor were on the table for the window before McCall arrived and had been started by Scott. Indeed O'Connor's probably only ultimately went though because we missed out on a bid to sign Carl Finnigan who went to Falkirk instead. Dillon was steady enough. McStay had confidence on the ball that had been lacking in our midfield up to that point. Weir and Mullen hassled and harrassed defenders in a way we hadn't been doing until then and even if they really weren't all that good they did enough. Andy Thomson still had the head if not really the legs and more importantly his signing excited the terraces again along with the returns of Aitken and O'Connor.

McCall himself later admitted that given his first summer window to construct a squad he got it wrong, signed experienced players he trusted but turned out to be too old. Notwithstanding that I personally still think Barrowman got more criticism than he deserved. The guys from 8 to 19 weren't good enough other than Scally. Hinchcliffe was good enough but was short term injury cover and maybe if we had succeeded in keeping him we'd never have seen Jamie MacDonald here and not reached the Scottish Cup Final 16 months later!

His final window though was a resounding success. In Dobbie he probably signed our best player ever, and got him for nothing! In Tosh he signed another top class player. MacDonald, McQuilken and Adams were all excellent for us too and two of them went on to play in that Cup Final. And out of all that, Dobbie and possibly Adams apart, the other guy, Stevie Murray was probably the best of them in that Great Escape Part II. As a single month of signings it's hard to believe the club has ever had a better one.

There's no doubt whatever you think of him, McCall left a far, far better squad than we had when he arrived. He was a bit fortunate in that Gretna's impending collapse got us a couple of players who wouldn't otherwise have been here but the Gibson to Kilmarnock in exchange for four players (including Gibson himself back on loan) was a great piece of business and the signing of MacDonald was inspired. Credit where it's due.

SD that`s a great summary. As you say the Gretna meltdown helped but some really top notch signings over and above those.

When McCall left it was the correct thing to happen but he improved our squad no end. H e did sign some duds but all managers do.

Cheers again for the fun.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

SD that`s a great summary. As you say the Gretna meltdown helped but some really top notch signings over and above those.

When McCall left it was the correct thing to happen but he improved our squad no end. H e did sign some duds but all managers do.

Cheers again for the fun.

So good you quoted it twice! :P

When do we get to guess Frank McGarvey's signings? Or Willie Harkness?

You can guess them all you like, I don't have any lists of them though!

We can move through Chisholm, Brannigan and MacPherson over the next few days though if people want? I'm not sure there's a lot of point at this stage in looking at Johnston given how recent it was and that most of his signings are still here.

Signing off for tonight though.

The final list then:

I knew I would miss out on this quiz so I did it with my mates after the match on Saturday and the only one we did not get was Lewis Sloan.

There were extra names said which more than likely be on Gordon Chisholm list.

I expect the Chisholm list to be long as I can remember him signing loads of players.

Does resigning willie Gibson for a month count?

In addition is it just my warped memory or was Steven Swift pretty awful.

Nah your mind isn't warped (with regards to this subject anyway, possibly in other ways :P) he was very sh*t to be kind to him. I was actually gutted he was so poor as at the time of him signing I was delighted. He looked good in the games I had watched him in beforehand, then was utter garbage for us. Although to be slightly fair on him I think he was played in a back 3 a few times which really didn't suit him. The last I heard he was playing in the juniors with Irvine Meadow(?) but I don't know if he went straight there from us, although I wouldn't be surprised if he did!

Edited by 19QOS19

Gavin starts and scores, now there's a surprise.

With the talk on here about players that you have signed up to contract extensions. I'm very surprised that Gavin and Danny have not been mentioned. Is it that they will be off somewhere else or is it that your manager just does not rate them and therefore has not offered either anything?

With the talk on here about players that you have signed up to contract extensions. I'm very surprised that Gavin and Danny have not been mentioned. Is it that they will be off somewhere else or is it that your manager just does not rate them and therefore has not offered either anything?

Maybe offered but hoping to be elsewhere?

M Paton is the Oneida would like signed up.

Why don't you post when he starts and doesn't score? Are you sure you aren't his mum?

This is all good about old players but what about now. Is Bob McHugh signing on loan or are we looking at Rory Fallon.

I'm in the minority here in the Gavin camp and I just don't get it

Some folk are wetting themselves at the thought of us getting a 22 who has had 84 games in 7 season's scoring 8 yes eight goals.(figures courtesy of Wiki)

Gavin is 20 has had 99 games (33) starts in 4 seasons, scored 23 goals(figures courtesy of our prog) yet people are far from happy with him and don't seem to want to give him time to progress.

Strange, very strange.

Since Reilly got his first start this season, he has started 7 games and scored 4 goals. If they had been the first 7 games of the season, he would currently be the top scorer, with Lyle and Russell having 2 each.

Since Reilly got his first start this season, he has started 7 games and scored 4 goals. If they had been the first 7 games of the season, he would currently be the top scorer, with Lyle and Russell having 2 each.

Yes but they weren't, It's all ifs and buts.

For me glad we have brought in another striker, one with something to prove, hopefully this signing will push us towards the play offs.

Edited by SUPERSOUTH