The Queen of the South thread

Anyone else remember the hype around Dmitri Provnovski (definite sp? there!)

He came off the bench for us and set up the winner for Burns at home to Airdrie; our first of the season! I think the week after he was named as a sub for Killie!

Yeah, when you look at it in retrospect, and discount the three returning players he didn't source directly himself (McLaughlin, Lyle and O'Neill), it wasn't good.

Lovell had one superb season under McCall when he should have gotten Player of the Year. Richie Barnard was a decent enough keeper IMO but fell out with McCall and left. Tommy English and David McNiven did okay and David Craig did a job as a short term stop gap at centre half. The rest were just awful.

In fairness he inherited a decent squad and didn't have to make mass changes to it but his big signings the exception of Lovell really didn't work.

I`d actually forgotten that Lovell was a Scott signing. As you say he had an excellent spell under McCall as sweeper in a back 3.

McNiven was outstanding in the early season 3-1 against JC`s St Johnstone and was a decent enough player. Good finisher.

He scored a peach at McDiarmid as well.

Am I right in saying that game at Dens was the game Mullen scored a great goal as well, think it was a late winner (other goal coming from Andy Thomson)?

Yeah that's the one. Great game.

Thompson had scored before I'd taken my seat, and news was filtering through that Stranraer were losing heavily at home to Clyde (I think it finished 7-0). I think we may have gone 2-1 down before the rocket from Wood, and Mullen's first goal for us.

A key game in "The Great Escape mkI".

Formations are dynamic things and should be altered based on personnel and opposition. It's fine for a manager to have a favoured formation. It shouldn't be the be all and end all though. Equally professional football players should be capable of subtle adaptions.

I do think 4-4-2 is the formation that suits this team the best. But with Burns and McKenna as the central pairing, and Reilly sometimes dropping off looking for a pass, at times today we weren't too far off the 4-2-3-1 that McIntyre favours.

The main reason we won today is because he selected our strongest eleven players, who are better than Alloa.

Formations are dynamic things and should be altered based on personnel and opposition. It's fine for a manager to have a favoured formation. It shouldn't be the be all and end all though. Equally professional football players should be capable of subtle adaptions.

I do think 4-4-2 is the formation that suits this team the best. But with Burns and McKenna as the central pairing, and Reilly sometimes dropping off looking for a pass, at times today we weren't too far off the 4-2-3-1 that McIntyre favours.

The main reason we won today is because he selected our strongest eleven players, who are better than Alloa.

This.

We've won games playing different formations, in fact we beat Alloa away not playing 4-4-2, yet the 4-4-2-ists are already wetting their knickers over one win. We played well today and the formation was a factor but it wasnt the only reason we won. Playing the back four we did, plus great performances from a few individuals and Alloa being pretty poor contributed just as much

Yeah that's the one. Great game.

Thompson had scored before I'd taken my seat, and news was filtering through that Stranraer were losing heavily at home to Clyde (I think it finished 7-0). I think we may have gone 2-1 down before the rocket from Wood, and Mullen's first goal for us.

A key game in "The Great Escape mkI".

Oddly enough, I found myself at the Stranraer game that day, with another Queens fan. I think it finished 5-0 to Graham Roberts' Clyde who were four up after twenty minutes, having also contrived to miss an early penalty.

It was when Stranraer were seriously launching into a post-Jenkins freefall. When I then heard we'd won at Dens with Wood scoring a very late winner (as DD rightly says), I actually believed we had a strong chance of getting safe.

Is Jim Atkinson any good?

This is a genuine question because other than the pre match warm up and half time kick about I have seen nothing of him.

The lad is still only 19 been around the club a few years now and has impressed the current & previous managers with his commitment and work ethic to improve at training everyday, He plays all reserve games.

The club probably can't afford to have two 1st choice keepers on the books, so as long as Jim is happy to train and learn each week and be ready on the bench then good on him.

Glad Pat Slattery has also agreed to a further season.

That makes midfielders signed Burns McKenna Mcshane Dzierzwaski & Slattery.

The lad is still only 19 been around the club a few years now and has impressed the current & previous managers with his commitment and work ethic to improve at training everyday, He plays all reserve games.

The club probably can't afford to have two 1st choice keepers on the books, so as long as Jim is happy to train and learn each week and be ready on the bench then good on him.

Glad Pat Slattery has also agreed to a further season.

That makes midfielders signed Burns McKenna Mcshane Dzierzwaski & Slattery.

Cheers, thanks for the reply.

I posted this in the transfer window thread, but heard a rumour today from a St Johnstone fan today that we, along with Dundee, are looking at signing Rory Fallon. Saints have told him he can find another club. Reviews are not favourable to him.

Is he tall enough such that we can launch endless high balls to him.

If so a proportion of our fans would be delighted if we sign him.