The Queen of the South thread

You mentioned it on here not that long ago, can't remember much about it though.

I think I did, in a thread on foreign players at some point. I don't see much point in dragging this one out. Even if one or two hardcore actually saw him play I doubt they knew his name.

No 32 was Mohamed Halifa Soule.

He was French and had been released by Angers Sporting Club de l'Ouest. He came over for a trial and had to be registered for international clearance to play in games. He signed as an amateur for a month or two. He has since gone on to represent Comoros in International football.

More info here: http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halifa_Soulé

Will need the page translated

I think I did, in a thread on foreign players at some point. I don't see much point in dragging this one out. Even if one or two hardcore actually saw him play I doubt they knew his name.

No 32 was Mohamed Halifa Soule.

He was French and had been released by Angers Sporting Club de l'Ouest. He came over for a trial and had to be registered for international clearance to play in games. He signed as an amateur for a month or two. He has since gone on to represent Comoros in International football.

More info here: http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halifa_Soulé

Will need the page translated

Great stuff.

No way would i ever have got that one.

Out of research for my piece, anyone remember happened with Barry John Corr after penalty shoutoot dispute with the fans and the post match interview?

If you mean directly after, not a lot. McCall had a word with him about his behaviour but he played in a 1-0 away defeat to Dundee the following Saturday as he was the only keeper we had at the time. Jamie MacDonald came in on loan the next week and played the rest of the season with Corr mostly on the bench.

If you mean subsequent career, he moved on to Ayr United at the end of the season after Neil Watt took over there who had been his manager at Stranraer but he manged only 5 or 6 games before disappearing. He then played a season with Clydebank in Juniors. I've no idea where he is now. Not involved in football so far as I know.

If you mean directly after, not a lot. McCall had a word with him about his behaviour but he played in a 1-0 away defeat to Dundee the following Saturday as he was the only keeper we had at the time. Jamie MacDonald came in on loan the next week and played the rest of the season with Corr mostly on the bench.

If you mean subsequent career, he moved on to Ayr United at the end of the season after Neil Watt took over there who had been his manager at Stranraer but he manged only 5 or 6 games before disappearing. He then played a season with Clydebank in Juniors. I've no idea where he is now. Not involved in football so far as I know.

I said that wrong I was meaning more what he said after the shootout or what caused him to completely lose the plot.

Out of research for my piece, anyone remember happened with Barry John Corr after penalty shoutoot dispute with the fans and the post match interview?

I remember his indiscriminate gesticulating at the crowd and I remember a controversial interview, but I'm not sure that it was from that time - others will know though.

In the interview I'm thinking of, he moaned about the treatment he'd received from fans and made odd comments to the effect of wondering if something else lay behind them. The sub-text seemed to be that the hard time he got had a sectarian element; rather than that it was simply in response to some rotten performances.

I'd had some sympathy for him, feeling that McCall could have been kinder and more supportive. These remarks served to drain any such sympathy though.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

There's an old thread on the Infowire forum about Corr with some interesting quotes from yourself and others - CLICK HERE.

Skyline is there any easy way to look up this sort of thing or have you taken your lists from your own records? might run a pars one if the info is easily enough found.

I keep my own records as we go. Signings. Team lists. Attendances. Etc. It isnt difficult with a pc and a copy of MS Office. I have been doing it for about 15 yrs and have done some historical stuff too but not much. The fact I work at the club helps a bit but there isnt much in my records that isnt just collation of public data over time.

I keep my own records as we go. Signings. Team lists. Attendances. Etc. It isnt difficult with a pc and a copy of MS Office. I have been doing it for about 15 yrs and have done some historical stuff too but not much. The fact I work at the club helps a bit but there isnt much in my records that isnt just collation of public data over time.

Ok cheers

I said that wrong I was meaning more what he said after the shootout or what caused him to completely lose the plot.

I dont think anything was said particularly at the time. Things hadnt gone well for him, we were clearly looking to replace him. Hence Hinchcliffe had been here for a month. He had been getting heavily criticised on the internet and from the terraces a lot like Antell has this season and after one heroic performance in which the fans were chanting his name he just snapped, presumably seeing it as hypocritical. It was completely unprofessional but I thought it was understandable to be honest.

Needless to say the press wanted to talk to him after and as Monkey Tennis says I think he started suggesting the fans had been against him from the start which was utter nonsense. After that there was no way back in thr first team in reality.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

I dont think anything was said particularly at the time. Things hadnt gone well for him, we were clearly looking to replace him. Hence Hinchcliffe had been here for a month. He had been getting heavily criticised on the internet and from the terraces a lot like Antell has this season and after one heroic performance in which the fans were chanting his name he just snapped, presumably seeing it as hypocritical. It was completely unprofessional but I thought it was understandable to be honest.

Needless to say the press wanted to talk to him after and as Monkey Tennis says I think he started suggesting the fans had been against him from the start which was utter nonsense. After that there was no way back in thr first team in reality.

I'd say this year, people were more supportive of Antell despite his fundamental flaws as a goalkeeper, that and there wasn't really anyone else as a popular alternative like a Colin Scott. Also, publicly at least McIntyre wasn't as hard on antell as McCall was on Corr who obviously wasn't right in the head.

Sorry was out tonight playing on the new Indoor pitches.

Anyone want to go for the Brannigan List now. it won't take long.

Kenny Brannigan took over as manager when Gordon Chisholm walked out on 21st March 2010 and didn't take him with him. It was supposed to be a caretaker role but he did so well initially that he was given a contract for the next season. He was allowed to depart when his contract expired on 31st May 2011 having had his relationship with the Board completely break down. It was about the time this thread began in fact. We had major financial troubles throughout his tenure and he only had two windows in charge so this is a short list.

In fact we signed just 10 players in his time as manager and one of them as discussed in the previous List was Danny Carmichael in a pre-contract that Chisholm agreed to. Can yo name the other nine?

1. Sean O'Connor (Unattached - out of retirement and had played a couple of trials at Annan)

2. Danny Carmichael (Gretna 2008)

3. Ryan McGuffie (Morton)

4. Roddy McKenzie (Livingston)

5. Ross Hyslop (Motherwell)

6. Allan Johnston (St Mirren)

7. Lee Robinson (Kilmarnock)

8. Alex Mitchell (Gretna 2008)

9. Ryan Conroy (Loan from Celtic)

10. Colin McMenamin (Dundee)

As per usual, new signings only. There were nine players properly signed and one loan player. Although it's a short list, there are still a couple of tricky names on it that will maybe catch people out.

Off we go................

Edited by Skyline Drifter