The Queen of the South thread

Indeed. 4 Scots in each side including both captains and the winning goal scored by a Scot.

That actually sounds like a low-ish number for a Leeds side of that era. Maybe that's why they lost.

Were there not something like eight Leeds players in our World Cup squad the following year?

Do you know the answer to my earlier teaser DD ? What about SD , MT or anyone else ?

In reference to the Leeds -Sunderland game having 8 Scots??

Harvey, Bremner (captain), Lorimer and Eddie Gray for Leeds,

Bobby Kerr (captain) Ian Porterfield (scorer), Dick Malone and a Hughes (can`t remember his first name) for Sunderland.

Read an article about this game recently. Presumably topical again with Sunderland making it to Wembley.

Edit to add Sunderland lost to a very good Carlisle United early on in the following year`s competition.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

No, it wasn't ancient history. Surprised the great SD doesn't know or maybe he hasn't seen question.

I saw it earlier but it's been a very busy day and I've given it no thought. I've now given it extensive thought and couldn't think of anyone.

I then did some research and I still can't find anyone. I've been through FA Cup losing teams back to 1960 without finding anyone I'm aware of playing for us. I'm off to do something more productive now. I give up.

Ok , the answer is Alex Forsyth . Alex played right back in the 1976 FA Cup final for Man Utd. United got beat 1-0 by Southampton in this final. He had a spell with us in our promotion winning season of 1985-86 . Infact , if I remember correctly, he was wearing a sheep skin coat in the clubs photograph of the promotion winning celebrations in the Arbroath dressing room.

Ok , the answer is Alex Forsyth . Alex played right back in the 1976 FA Cup final for Man Utd. United got beat 1-0 by Southampton in this final. He had a spell with us in our promotion winning season of 1985-86 . Infact , if I remember correctly, he was wearing a sheep skin coat in the clubs photograph of the promotion winning celebrations in the Arbroath dressing room.

This was a toughie . Good question though, if I say so myself and it wasn't ancient history either . It had to be tough to outfox Skyline Drifter but that it did.

Very good question.

Not ancient history no, but my first season of watching Queens and I've absolutely no memory of Alex Forsyth ever playing for us. Having done a bit of googling this morning it seems he played a whole 2 games for us that season on loan from Hamilton Accies.

Just changing the subject a little, in the course of my research I noticed that we had a John Gorman play a single game for us in 1984-85, apparently between spells in Hong Kong and with Albion Rovers. Anyone know if this is the former England assistant manager under Glenn Hoddle? His own Wiki page doesn't mention us but it's got a gap between 1984 when he was apparently playing indoor arena football with Phoenix Pride in the USA and 1986 when he registered for Gillingham (but played no games). Just curious?

Edited by Skyline Drifter