The Queen of the South thread

Comparing now with the squad we had at the start of last season, I have tried to list the players who have left and who they have been replaced by. I've probably got some wrong, so feel free to amend and also update as we go along. I have included promotions from the U 20s when it appears they are now full squad members but weren't officially at the start of last season.

I know we managed without a few last season, but I think it is right to compare the squad with how it started rather than with how it "got by" at the end unless we all now think that the squad was originally too big anyway. We can consider whether the it is stronger, weaker or about the same.

Kerr replaced by Millar.

Baird with A Smith

Dzierzawski with Pickard

Mitchell with Hooper

Clark with Thomson

Holt with Conroy

Carmichael with ??

McShane with ??

Reilly with ??

Slattery with ??

Others who will probably go

Durnan with ??

McKenna with ??

Fowler with Skelton?

Paton with ?? or he might stay

This is a real problem from Queens fans thinking the present young players can replace the established young players who have left, if you know what I mean! I am old enough to remember our BP Youth Cup Final team, hardly any of them made it to the first team and ended up in the wilderness. It's the same when I browse through old Under 21 International programmes, where are they now? We need experienced players in if we are to make a challenge this season.

This is a real problem from Queens fans thinking the present young players can replace the established young players who have left, if you know what I mean! I am old enough to remember our BP Youth Cup Final team, hardly any of them made it to the first team and ended up in the wilderness. It's the same when I browse through old Under 21 International programmes, where are they now? We need experienced players in if we are to make a challenge this season.

It depends on what you class as experienced, but I tend to disagree. Being bored out my skull I've went through our squad and got their ages for this season:-

Burns: 31

Dowie: 32

Higgins: 30

Lyle: 34

Russell: 33

Conroy: 28

Miller: 27

Skelton: 34

Fowler: 35

Atkinson: 20

Thomson: 22

Hooper: 20

Kidd: 20

Pickard: 18

Smith: 18

Going by that, experience is something we have in abundance and is certainly not what we should be aiming to bring in. I've added Fowler and Skelton as they are registered to play but even if you take them out of the equation it still leaves experience overpowering the youth. Particularly if you bare in mind two of our younger players are 'keepers.

Looking at the ages has made me think that we don't need experience (especially no more over 30 year olds) nor do we really need many teens/20/21 year olds. Going by what we've got I'd be hoping Fowler is looking at players in the 23-26 year old range.

Edited by 19QOS19

What's the script regarding this Status Quo concert btw? Operating at a loss, or a small profit? And will there likely be more concerts put on in the future?

I'd imagine the answer to your second question will depend on the answer to your first one.

Hopefully it's a huge success and the first of many.

I'm still waiting to hear his QoS Scottish Cup Final song, so I'll hold off believing he is going to contribute toward the club...

We all know it would have ruined his career so I'll let him off seeing seeing as he's the only person from Dumfries with a shot with T. Swift.

We all know it would have ruined his career so I'll let him off seeing seeing as he's the only person from Dumfries with a shot with T. Swift.

Only because I've not introduced myself to her John. It'll be the biggest mistake of his life if he ever brings her to Dumfries and she catches a glimpse of this stallion B)

I'd bloody love to go to a gig at Palmerston if it was an act I liked. Don't know how much the demographic of Dumfries would support a more 'current' band, but realistically what's the biggest act we could ever expect to get given the restrictions in attendance and (I'm guessing) equipment? Is there a certain parameter?