The Queen of the South thread

Sinking ship boys?

We've a few key players to replace much like most sides in the division.

We don't have Peter Houston tasked with sourcing these replacments though, which works in our favour.

Edited by palmy_cammy

I don't think your post tells us anything we don't know. We have the makings of a good squad already signed up, with a few already departed or expected to who will need replacing. It is widely accepted it will be a tall order replacing them with equal quality, but not impossible. It is also worth remembering that those who are leaving didn't arrive as ready made players and have only really become sought after this season. Some of those currently on the books, or yet to arrive, could quite conceivably become the new Holt, or Reilly. For example Kidd and Clark started the season berated, yet ended it as highly thought of by most.

To answer your question though I'd rate our squad as follows -

Dunno whats going on with the squad list but its all messed up when I quote it! I'd agree with pretty much all of it, to be honest.

The only thing I would probably disagree with is that we do need another central midfielder, in my opinion. Unless Conroy has been brought in to play there.

Can't disagree with that much, although I think Conroy is more of a Paton replacement than Holt. I think we need 6 signings from here to compete at the same level again (left back, centre back, 2 centre midfielders, right midfielder/winger, striker).

WIth Hooper coming through, Im not sure another centre back is really needed. Im not sure we need two new central midfielders either. As I said, I think we need another first choice player to partner Millar but after that there are plenty of options in the squad who can play there.

With Danny going, right midfield is an obvious gap unless Burns is going to play 30+ games.

Up front is an interesting one. A lot will depend on where Fowler decides to play Russell. If its as a striker then we'd already have 3, including Aiden Smith. Like you, though, I'd like to see another striker come in.

Sinking ship boys?

Indeed. Many of the players who left said they'd had enough of playing on our awful pitch ;)

As has been said, its nothing that wasnt expected and it will be tough to replace the quality we're losing but we'll still have a decent team, dont you worry. Although, might be a good chance for Falkirk to finish above us; an achievement that might even surpass the cup final, eh? Make sure you enjoy it while it lasts though, as Falkirk will be holed below the waterline when Grant, Vaulks and Sibbald go

Difference is we don't need to sell, thats not to say we wont if someone offers us a deal like we got for Mcgrandles which was £1m. All our players are under contract bar Macdonald and he could be easy enough replaced.

Difference is we don't need to sell, thats not to say we wont if someone offers us a deal like we got for Mcgrandles which was £1m. All our players are under contract bar Macdonald and he could be easy enough replaced.

I know and Im not suggesting it will happen this summer. However, unless they are injured or do an Alston during next season then its hard to see them being at Falkirk beyond that.

Will be interesting to see how Queens handle this exodus as such. They have probably had it too easy for the last few seasons, in the sense they've had a settle squad and a lot of momentum.

Will be a test of Fowlers' managerial credentials this summer but I'm sure they will be able to attract a decent standard to Dumfries. Queens fans may now know what it's like to lose good players year on year

A striker with 6 goals in 45 senior appearances according to Wiki.

Can`t wait.

Ngoo would do well in the Championship IMO. He gets a lot of stick from some Hearts fans, mainly because he was honking in the LC Final against St Mirren, but there were some games for us he was unplayable. Scored a few good goals and was pretty strong. He only really went downhill when we went to 2 up top and tried to shoehorn Sutton in alongside him, a partnership that suited neither of them.

I didn't think Ngoo was great but looked like there was a player in there somewhere. He go from rag dolling defenders and hitting cracking shots to having an awful first touch and getting smaller when trying to jump for a header.

Would probably be decent in this league but doubt he'd fit in with Queens style of play.

If you go by Wiki stats, then Del Lyle had only scored 7 goals in 78 games between 2008-2012 before re-joining us... just look how good he's been after that terrible record. :P

If the Ngoo rumour is true, he'd be worth the 'gamble' IMO.

His record doesnt inspire much excitement. You'd have to think, though, that Fowler would know him well from Killie. Of course, that could be the only reason we're being linked with him!

If you go by Wiki stats, then Del Lyle had only scored 7 goals in 78 games between 2008-2012 before re-joining us... just look how good he's been after that terrible record. :P

If the Ngoo rumour is true, he'd be worth the 'gamble' IMO.

Ngoo would do well in the Championship IMO. He gets a lot of stick from some Hearts fans, mainly because he was honking in the LC Final against St Mirren, but there were some games for us he was unplayable. Scored a few good goals and was pretty strong. He only really went downhill when we went to 2 up top and tried to shoehorn Sutton in alongside him, a partnership that suited neither of them.

His record doesnt inspire much excitement. You'd have to think, though, that Fowler would know him well from Killie. Of course, that could be the only reason we're being linked with him!

All speculation anyway. Certainly trust Fowler to know the type of player we need.

Time will tell.