The Queen of the South thread

Skelton won't cut it at this level anymore. The English NPL is quite a decent level, I'm sure the new assistant must have a few contacts. I'd like to see a few big Sassies in our team next season.

Gav played holding midfield for Workington last season and was named in the evostik team of the year, reds are 2 leagues above the NPL he could definately do a job when required, still fit and keeps ball well

I am almost certain Workington Reds are indeed members of the Evo-Stik NPL. Although a lot lower than the top Conference league, there will be some half decent players that might fancy a crack at full-time football.

If we sign around one hundred of them then we are guaranteed to bag a couple of good players.

I am almost certain Workington Reds are indeed members of the Evo-Stik NPL. Although a lot lower than the top Conference league, there will be some half decent players that might fancy a crack at full-time football.

Ladder goes

Conference

Conf North

Evo Stik prem

Evo 1

Northern League

Northern League 1

Northern Alliance

Northern Alliance 1

Evostik may be called NPL - not sure

I would say that Workington would be on par with teams in SPFL1

Edited by Rocky85

Some of our fans want a wee North East of England tour for pre-season. We need to raise the bar a bit more, we are a leading Scottish Championship side these days and it should only be our Development side that play these teams. Playing South of Scotland or English Northern league clubs is not suffice anymore. Blackpool, Fleetwood, Barrow or Hartlepool would be more appropriate opposition. It's hard work living with the expectations we want!

Of all of the players leaving us Reilly has taken the biggest gamble by moving to a club the size of Hearts. It has the potential to be a fantastic move for him, but it will be a steep learning curve. I can't imagine Hearts have signed him to be first choice so he'll need to take any chances that come his way. That may prove to be the trickiest part for him, because there is no doubting his ability, but I'd put him down as very much a confidence player. Compare and contrast his wonderful, touch and finish against The Rangers at Palmerston, with his woeful miss when sent clear against the same opponents in the Playoffs. I'm not sure how many goals he scored between those two events, but it wasn't many, and his head was clearly down. Or perhaps distracted by off the field events.

His best work is in and around the box, not unusual for a forward, but I felt the other aspects of his game had come on leaps and bounds this season. Namely his heading and hold up play, and also his strength.

No questions over his workrate at all, he'll run all day for you, never giving the opposition centre halves a minutes peace.

Good luck to him.

This.

All of it.

I've loved Reilly as a Queens player. I think we've been a much better team with than without him over the last three seasons. His attributes are clear and as outlined. His energy enabled us to play higher up as a team and went a long way to enabling us to dominate sides in a lot of matches. We'll miss him badly and I'm more worried to lose him than I was 41 goal Nicky Clark two years ago.

However, he'll do we to make an impact at Hearts. He did go off the boil goalswise latterly and he'll be playing for a stronger side in a much tougher league.

I really really hope he makes a success of it, but it'll be difficult.

Some of our fans want a wee North East of England tour for pre-season. We need to raise the bar a bit more, we are a leading Scottish Championship side these days and it should only be our Development side that play these teams. Playing South of Scotland or English Northern league clubs is not suffice anymore. Blackpool, Fleetwood, Barrow or Hartlepool would be more appropriate opposition. It's hard work living with the expectations we want!

Does it really matter who we play in preseason friendlies ? After all we've finished 4th the last two seasons

You lot any players left? Not followed the exodus closely but seems every other day another goes.

You got any fees for any of them?

Need 6-7 in?

Not really. No one has left that wasn't expected. We've brought in two already, not including Skelton. I'd be amazed if we bring in as many as 6 more players.

Guest Flash

Comparing now with the squad we had at the start of last season, I have tried to list the players who have left and who they have been replaced by. I've probably got some wrong, so feel free to amend and also update as we go along. I have included promotions from the U 20s when it appears they are now full squad members but weren't officially at the start of last season.

I know we managed without a few last season, but I think it is right to compare the squad with how it started rather than with how it "got by" at the end unless we all now think that the squad was originally too big anyway. We can consider whether the it is stronger, weaker or about the same.

Kerr replaced by Millar.

Baird with A Smith

Dzierzawski with Pickard

Mitchell with Hooper

Clark with Thomson

Holt with Conroy

Carmichael with ??

McShane with ??

Reilly with ??

Slattery with ??

Others who will probably go

Durnan with ??

McKenna with ??

Fowler with Skelton?

Paton with ?? or he might stay

Comparing now with the squad we had at the start of last season, I have tried to list the players who have left and who they have been replaced by. I've probably got some wrong, so feel free to amend and also update as we go along. I have included promotions from the U 20s when it appears they are now full squad members but weren't officially at the start of last season.

I know we managed without a few last season, but I think it is right to compare the squad with how it started rather than with how it "got by" at the end unless we all now think that the squad was originally too big anyway. We can consider whether the it is stronger, weaker or about the same.

Kerr replaced by Millar.

Baird with A Smith

Dzierzawski with Pickard

Mitchell with Hooper

Clark with Thomson

Holt with Conroy

Carmichael with ??

McShane with ??

Reilly with ??

Slattery with ??

Durnan with ??

McKenna with ??

Fowler with Skelton?

Looking at that list, I don't think it's unreasonable to say we still need 4/5 good quality signings to be anywhere near the playoffs next season.

I don't think your post tells us anything we don't know. We have the makings of a good squad already signed up, with a few already departed or expected to who will need replacing. It is widely accepted it will be a tall order replacing them with equal quality, but not impossible. It is also worth remembering that those who are leaving didn't arrive as ready made players and have only really become sought after this season. Some of those currently on the books, or yet to arrive, could quite conceivably become the new Holt, or Reilly. For example Kidd and Clark started the season berated, yet ended it as highly thought of by most.

To answer your question though I'd rate our squad as follows -

Kerr replaced by Millar. - I was a big fan of Kerr, but Millar is at a minimum equal to him, but capable of far surpassing him
Baird with A Smith - My dead Gran could replace Baird for all the use he was to us. It is probably fairer to list Smith as a Reilly replacement. The signs are good that he could follow in his footsteps.
Dzierzawski with Pickard - Too early to judge Pickard, but Dzierzawski certainly won't be missed.
Mitchell with Hooper - The Mitchell of two seasons ago would have been a big miss, but Hooper adequately replaced him last season so no reason he can't this one coming.
Clark with Thomson - Clark was a very good goalkeeper for us, but Thomson comes highly rated. Happy enough with the signing.
Holt with Conroy - Very unlikely we'll replace Holt with someone of a similar quality. Conroy isn't really a like-for-like replacement either but is still a very good player at this level.
Carmichael with ?? - It will be tough to replace Carmichael. A return for Kiltie on loan would be as close to a like-for-like replacement as you can get.
McShane with ?? - Assuming Millar is first pick, we have the option of playing any of the following alongside him - Burns, Fowler, Skelton, Pickard, even Kidd. No direct replacement really needed.
Reilly with ?? Talk of a loan signing from Hearts. A forward with workrate and a bit of pace is essential to partner Lyle. Ideally they would be capable of sticking it in the net on a regular basis as well!
Slattery with ?? - I'm sure we can find another u20 squad member to make up the numbers on the bench when we're short. That is ultimately all Slattery did last season.

Durnan with ?? Higgins and Dowie are a very strong partnership, with Hooper as backup. Another rough diamond in the Durnan mold would be nice, but not essential
McKenna with ?? Burns can play the harrying midfield role if McKenna chooses to leave. Not a priority position for me.
Fowler with Skelton? Fowler is signing on as a player again I think?
Paton with ?? or he might stay Conroy is a more natural left winger than Paton ever was, and we have Iain Russell already signed as well.

Kerr replaced by Millar.

Baird with A Smith

Dzierzawski with Pickard

Mitchell with Hooper

Clark with Thomson

Holt with Conroy

Carmichael with ??

McShane with ??

Reilly with ??

Slattery with ??

Durnan with ??

McKenna with ??

Fowler with Skelton?

Can't disagree with that much, although I think Conroy is more of a Paton replacement than Holt. I think we need 6 signings from here to compete at the same level again (left back, centre back, 2 centre midfielders, right midfielder/winger, striker).

He's out of contact, so possible. Not someone in familiar with but he's played for Aberdeen 57 times in the league so he can't be awful.

I think he has been unlucky with injury. I'm sure Aberdeen want to keep him though.