The General Ross County Chat Thread

While some deride those who are worried about the start to the season I can safely say we look a long way off being ready for a hard campaign. A lot of drivel has been discussed about who gets a certain shirt number, the limit on subs in these cup games, the early start to the season etc . The hard facts are that this can't be what we had in mind to start the season, we appear to have accumulated a range of functional players which make us entirely predictable - I am hacked off with our ability to take back players who chose to leave us and wander back to us after they have failed elsewhere. How on earth has Boyce retained his place throughout 2016 when we clearly have a better strike force, the loss of Irvine is obviously unavoidable but what was the thinking behind letting Murdoch go, why don't we have a clue what our back 3/4 is on the eve of the season? Worried? Damn right.

The league kicks off a week Saturday and we have just conceaded 3 goals to Alloa? Worrying to say the least when you consider McIntyre prioritised strengthening the defence. 

IMO we are deseperate for a couple of wingers and a decent CM or two. McIntyre and co must surely realise this. We can't go into a new campaign with what we have now.  

As far as I'm aware, there is 0% chance of that happening until the end of the season. Of course last night's calamity could have changed everything - he wasn't playing so it obviously wasn't his fault but he may be victim of needing to prioritise the budget. I doubt it though.

Brian Graham is interesting Hibs according to the edinburgh evening news. Lennon was at your match the other night watching him. Does his goal scoring record for county do him justice or does it flatter him?

He'd polarise your support like no other. Almost a 50/50 split between those who treat him as a boo boy and those who see him as County's most effective striker.

I think he offers far more than Boyce and if they had to jettison a forward (as they probably should) it shouldn't be Graham.

I would be 100% surprised if you were right . "Paternity leave" FFS!

Might be misreading your post, but his daughter was born several weeks prematurely and I'd be staggered if he hadn't been given as long as he needs in paternity leave. It's also his testimonial season.

18 hours ago, Jayhawks said:

I would be 100% surprised if you were right . "Paternity leave" FFS!

It's a legal requirement for every employer in the country to provide it- why would football clubs be any different?

On 25 July 2016 at 22:43, bunglebonce said:

The build up to the Raith Rovers goal has really been bothering me.

Maybe it's fair enough that Boyce lets Vaughan go, but the central midfielders shouldn't.  I say shouldn't, but I think that's actually the system: it's man for man across the park, so as Vaugham is the centre-forward then he's not going to be picked up until he gets near the defenders. Which, in this case, dragged McEveley and nearly Robertson out of position and allowed the defence to be turned (Cikos should have cleared it but that's the gamble when a defender has to clear a cross facing his own goal).

Why did Vaughan get so much space?  It wasn't the only time during the match but was the crucial moment of it.

Is it the system that is too rigid in its marking, or are the midfielders just not applying common sense or not taking responsibility, to pick up a forward running off them?  Here, the midfielders don't even look.  

In either event, I can't bear watching central midfielders just let a forward run past them from deep.  It causes the team so much bother sometimes, particularly when all of the centre-backs are on the wrong side of 30 and are exposed to midfielders or forwards running at them.

If Greg Stewart is going to get a free role for Dundee again like he did at Dens, the first league match might not be pretty.

Not to disagree with these observations - other teams would have pressed hard and quickly - but isn't our full-back Kenny culpable as well, as the left area is where the killer pass /cross /strike ultimately came from.

McEvely ends up pulled between the 2 attackers and can't commit. If he'd gone to close down Vaughan the ball would have been slipped to the other attacker with an easier strike at goal. We were a defender short at that moment, with Kenny still a bit further forward and too far from the action.

?

29 minutes ago, Les Westander of County said:

Not to disagree with these observations - other teams would have pressed hard and quickly - but isn't our full-back Kenny culpable as well, as the left area is where the killer pass /cross /strike ultimately came from.

McEvely ends up pulled between the 2 attackers and can't commit. If he'd gone to close down Vaughan the ball would have been slipped to the other attacker with an easier strike at goal. We were a defender short at that moment, with Kenny still a bit further forward and too far from the action.

?

Kenny was marking the guy that went past Foster, Foster signalled him to go to him and then went to tackle the guy almost on the half way line, Foster and Kenny were both committed and doing their job on the left. Wish I knew their players names...

As Staggie52 says: County's 4-4-2 is a man-for-man system across the park.  Kenny had his man.  Vaughan was, strictly speaking, one of the centre-backs' man, even if he started so deep.  It seems a bit daft that one forward dropping between the lines can cause so much trouble, but that's what happens.  Either one of the defenders steps out - which has caused Scott Boyd so much trouble in the team in the last year, for instance - or a midfielder needs to abandon his man to cover the roaming attacker. 

Edited by bunglebonce

2 hours ago, bunglebonce said:

As Staggie52 says: County's 4-4-2 is a man-for-man system across the park.  Kenny had his man.  Vaughan was, strictly speaking, one of the centre-backs' man, even if he started so deep.  It seems a bit daft that one forward dropping between the lines can cause so much trouble, but that's what happens.  Either one of the defenders steps out - which has caused Scott Boyd so much trouble in the team in the last year, for instance - or a midfielder needs to abandon his man to cover the roaming attacker. 

Seems very inflexible, and perhaps the opposite of the Dutch Total Football style of the past:

surely in that situation the appropriately available midfielder (or forward) needs to deal with the attacker - and in turn, a forward slips back to cover their position.  We need to avoid our defender getting outnumbered, and while that's where the priority is, make others available to help out.

I've certainly seen other teams quickly find 2 or 3 players to cut off an attacking player of ours.

So tactics may need work but I suspect the team also needs to work a lot more on communication, familiarity with each other and their jobs.

Knowing what to expect and how to respond in different situations.

But then, luckily for Ross County, I am no Ross County Manager. 

When Jim and Doddsy (showing my football knowledge there) arrived, we were told, and it looked like to me, we played a pressing game. Don't let them settle, get the ball, move it up the park. That has gone, we're standing back, letting them run past us. It has to change or we'll be lucky to stay in this division.