The General Ross County Chat Thread

22 minutes ago, Radford said:

Would be interested to hear about Richard Foster from County fans. Never seemed that popular elsewhere but never really noticed him attracting too much criticism in Dingwall? Why has he been allowed to leave and are my recollections that he's equally as comfortable in either full back role correct?

Yeah, his versatility was a big plus. And generally he's thought of fairly well by County fans compared to Rangers & Aberdeen fans opinions on him. His release seems to be part "we expected Andrew Davies to go & need to free up some of the wage bill for other players (ideally a Jackson Irvine replacement)" & part the rumoured falling out with the manager which was alluded to a few pages back. I'm sure others about a 1,000 times more in the know than me have more to add there.

I'd say he was the best full back at the club last season. Of the defenders we could have disposed of, I guess it makes some sense as he was probably one of the higher earners, but I'd have expected Boyd gone before him for example.

Edited by forkboy

I thought he was going to be a dreadful signing. Started poorly as well IIRC. However he probably ended the season as one of County's top three/four players, certainly one of the most consistent.  He looked a better player when he was moved further forward. Most fans/All fans will be disappointed to see him leave.

All sorts of 'rumours' in this thread about his relationship with McIntyre. Maybe that has something to do with his departure but if it frees up a wage for a new midfielder then maybe it's a good move.  There's two or three players I'd rather see move on instead though.

21 minutes ago, Radford said:

Would be interested to hear about Richard Foster from County fans. Never seemed that popular elsewhere but never really noticed him attracting too much criticism in Dingwall? Why has he been allowed to leave and are my recollections that he's equally as comfortable in either full back role correct?

Not happy we have let him go.  He is a consistent performer, comfortable at FB or Wide Midfield, as shown in the derby last weekend.  Like others I'm disappointed in the squad management this summer, we are woefully short in midfield and have now lost one of our best defenders.  If this was all part of freeing up wages for a new midfielder it may make sense, but I would much rather see Boyd go. 

3 minutes ago, yoda said:

I thought he was going to be a dreadful signing. Started poorly as well IIRC. However he probably ended the season as one of County's top three/four players, certainly one of the most consistent.  He looked a better player when he was moved further forward. Most fans/All fans will be disappointed to see him leave.

That's a good point. Was hugely cynical of the signing last summer, thought it was a terrible waste of money but he definitely proved all us doubters wrong with his consistency. Which is why it's just odd that he's the one we let go.

Not a fan of this at all.  Really odd squad management this summer.  I assumed that when we signed Cikos and van der Weg we would be using Foster on the wing this season.  Otherwise, why sign both of them?  Foster was consistently very good last season so there was no need to replace him.  Now we've allowed him to go to one of our rivals for nothing, leaving us with only one consistent winger (Gardyne), one inconsistent winger (Franks) and one rubbish winger (Dingwall).

Which leads me to conclude we've released him as a direct result of the rumoured fallings out this summer and that doesn't sit well with me at all.

St Johnstone are getting a good, solid, consistent utility man here. I predict he'll be a good signing for them.

Foster was one of our best and most consistent players last season, finishing the season as our best LB, best RB, and 2nd best winger.
Disappointed we've let him go.
Disappointed we've let him go to a rival.
Disappointed we've let him go for free.
Disappointed in our squad management as a whole this summer, too many too similar players in some positions, and gaping obvious holes in other positions.

Struggling to see this as a football decision, especially given rumours lately. 
If it is resultant of a squad and budget imbalance, that's poor management, especially if it results in us giving a rival one of our best and most versatile players, who was under contract, and started last week, for free. 

Given our transfer dealings this summer, its like having a cross between Wenger's refusal to address obvious gaps in the squad/team, and Adams' refusal to not be a stroppy wee c**t who falls out with important players.

The high of the derby win (which wasn't as high as it should have been, given our start and concerns about our squad and rumours of splits) feels like its being used up pretty quickly.

So nothing fresh to add, just wanted to add my disappointment.

Edited by dingdong1929

Not sure I agree with much of what has been said. Foster was versatile, but as with a lot of versatile players it was hard to judge where he should play. He's not a winger but as a wide midfielder copes quite well. I look on him as a squad player, I'd prefer him to stay over Franks but if we need to free up wages and he wants to go that's fine.
It's even better if it frees up wages for either a proper winger or another CM.

You'll find that Aberdeen fans are much noisier the next time you play them...

Slightly disappointed,  he was good cover in a few positions, but with Cikos, Fraser, McEveley, and the young Mclaughlin we have enough cover.

No surprise given the rumours since Budapest.

I expect Graham to go next, followed by some 'mutual' bullshit about Boyd. 

Turning into a terrible transfer window. Losing Irvine, Foster and now Graham, huge blows to the squad. Hope McIntyre knows what he's doing because at present that squad just isn't near good enough. 

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

What's happening at County? All seems a bit odd

It's madness IMO to let players as good as Foster and Graham go for free, it just isn't on. I don't understand it atall

Can only hope all of this is to free up funds to bring in some real quality. 

Several players were told in the summer they could move on, ie please leave so we can use your wages elsewhere. 

Plus Roy put his foot in it at the supporters meeting in June when he said amongst others we were after a 'big centre forward'. I think most staggies knew at that point that Graham wouldn't be here much longer. 

Terminate the contracts of Murdoch, Graham, and Foster but wouldn't terminate Davies' contract when he wanted to leave.  Who the f**k is in charge of these absurd decisions?

County could have comfortably netted a decent wedge for 3 players (although St. Johnstone probably would have returned the minibus for Foster) instead it's "look, aren't we nice not demanding fees for players?".  

This situation exists purely because of Jim McIntyre's incredibly shortsighted recruitment policy over the summer. He's pulling an Adams.

^^^head's gone

He's not great at either, but never stops running and has moments of brilliance. Streaky as f**k for us, banged in about eight goals in nine games then didn't score for three months

He's not great at either, but never stops running and has moments of brilliance. Streaky as f**k for us, banged in about eight goals in nine games then didn't score for three months

I just assumed he was good at finishing crosses as I looked on YouTube and he scored a fair few headers.

Don't take my word for it but Graham seemed pretty good in the air for County. I would expect him to form a good partnership with Cummings if he is given the opportunity (although he can't really offer the "Grond" approach that Holt presumably does).

Takes a good penalty as well.