The General Ross County Chat Thread

My highland friends, how is big Naisy getting on for you guys since leaving the buddies? Seen him mentioned a few times and he's looked comfortable on the TV games. What's your guys verdict?

I'd be close to saying he's the best signing this season, one season of the best Jim and billy have made

I'd be close to saying he's the best signing this season, one season of the best Jim and billy have made

Yeah? Excellent news, I'm sure there will be a lot of our fans eating humble pie. A lot of them jumped on his back after his injury, so that makes it even better! I always thought he was a cracking big player, so I hope he keeps it up [emoji106]

I think we've known about Quinn since January when he was trying to find himself a new club then.

Now that Dow's fit again and looks to be firing on all cylinders he probably can find himself a club down south again, we may have just been one of a few willing to take a punt on him (and in no way was his relationship with Jim's daughter a factor in that I'm sure).

Boyce getting a free bit of PR from the NI manager.  It was going to be difficult to keep him as it was, but Boyce will have ideas of being a regular for his country.  http://www.irishnews.com/sport/footballsoccer/2017/05/04/news/boyce-knocking-hard-after-best-ever-season--1016134/?param=ds441rif44T

Tyrone @ STV saying that McEveley is out for the rest of the season.

An article praising Fraser describes Quinn as captain and Davies as vice. http://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/Sport/Football/Ross-County-boss-Jim-McIntyre-tips-Marcus-Fraser-to-be-future-captain-03052017.htm

I'm still scratching my head why Davies wore the armband v Aberdeen in the game that Quinn was subbed off at HT.  The whole situation has been odd.  Anyway I'm quite happy with a back three of Van der Weg, Davies and Fraser in the meantime.

I think we've known about Quinn since January when he was trying to find himself a new club then.
Now that Dow's fit again and looks to be firing on all cylinders he probably can find himself a club down south again, we may have just been one of a few willing to take a punt on him (and in no way was his relationship with Jim's daughter a factor in that I'm sure).

I think it's pretty much the case that he's not capable at this level anyone. Was Quinn looking for a new club? I was under the impression he was working quite a lot with the under 20s with a view to getting his coaching badges and such like.

On 29/04/2017 at 08:37, Savage Henry said:

Stevie May was something like £800,000.  Boyce won't be far off that kind of fee - if it wasn't for the club's softly-softly approach to players who want to leave, I'd have said they should be looking for something in excess of that.

Boyce is older and, in my opinion, not as good an all round footballer as Stevie May.

You need to be an all round package to go for that sort of money.

Like Louis Moult at Motherwell he doesn't have the pace or overall athleticism that top end teams with that sort of money are looking for.

:thumsup2 SAFE!**  :thumsup2

(As I have been confident for a good old while that we would be.)

...and so, the question that's been at the back of my mind, returns to the front: Do I still not want McIntyre at the helm next season? Deep down, I know the answer is YES, I want him gone. But he always does that thing of ending a(nother) basically very poor season really quite well. And gives you that niggling little thought that, actually, maybe, he HAS got what it takes to make us a consistently top 6 kind of team, certainly one that doesn't need to be worrying about relegation. It's a bit like Scotland qualifying campaigns, overall pretty dreadful but really encouraging performances or signs or results towards the end, and we kid ourselves we only just missed out in the end, and it's all set up for us to do really well in the next campaign...

What do the rest of you think?

** I know we're not technically safe yet.

Copying & pasting some of my comments from OTB:

The team was failing to take points off teams that they were very capable of beating, while often performing better against the top few teams.
It took a while but we've appeared to have got past that now. Management and playing staff are very capable, have learned and improved. We can build on where we have got to.

Keep.

My take on the period where Boyce was controversially played deeper was that at the time we weren't creating enough in the middle to last third. Gardyne was heavily relied upon and was not in the form that he is currently. Midfield had generally not clicked. So Boyce was most needed there. 

Now the midfield is looking a lot more effective, with Dow and O'Brien starring, Woods also creating and Chow pretty reliable. All making a better contribution. Similarly Naismith and Gardyne are looking very comfortable and contributing strongly as wing-backs now. Again the 3 at the back was not well received and was blamed for our failings but we seem to be using it effectively now.

Again, Keep I say. The continuity will do us good and I believe we are building something positive that would be set back by another change of management team. 

I lean towards tattie-bye but with the recent experience of eg St Mirren, Caley etc who didn't necessarily need to make changes and did anyways... I dunno. I could understand, live with and respect either decision that Roy makes. 

Jim's biggest problem is his loyalty to senior players when they are underperforming and/or the most inconsistent of the regular starters.  That was a problem of his at Dunfermline too.

If I were Roy I'd want a firm plan on how the senior players will be phased out and particularly how he plans to bring through the u20s that deserve a chance at making it.