The General Ross County Chat Thread

On 2017-6-14 at 13:57, Savage Henry said:

Something's a coming regarding the midfield, I reckon.  I looks a little on the light side in terms of flexibility and numbers - if, of course,  Lovejoy and Tinkler do depart.   Also seems to me that in both the formation JungleBouncer lists, the team is crying out for another wide midfielder.

I think we may have the creative replacement for Boyce in the squad already. Christopher Routis, imo he's a good bit away from being a central midfielder but in the more advanced number 10 position that Liam has thrived in Routis with his undoubted skill could come into his own. He would need a solid central midfield pairing behind him and a bit more composure when on goal himself but I think it could work well. Thoughts?

Nobody we've got comes close to the package Boyce has. Reading the game, the precise touch, the balance and the composure. They'll all have to work hard to up their game this season. Before now I wouldn't have thought of Routis as being in the same bucket as Boyce but he does have skill, strength and reads the game intelligently. Although in my opinion he has not always achieved 100% concentration for the 95 minutes, and sometimes would give away the ball too easily as a result, this should be something he can improve. 

We need to create more goals from more of our players, and I believe no one player will replace Boyce.

You guys are in the position we were last year. If Boyce is to go then this season will be about surviving the following year whilst you desperately attempt to replace his goals and anything else is a bonus.

The best way forward would be to hope that he doesn't go until next season and slowly but surely build the squad to be able to compete without him.

We put a brave face on it when we lost Stewart and Hemmings but it completely fucked our last season up as we just didn't score enough and despite surviving, it was a miserable existence last year.

Seeing on twitter that apparently Josh Meekings' agent is trying to force a move to County... can't tell if I'm happy about this or not, thoughts?

Also reported to be interested in former West Ham and Hamilton full back Stephen Hendrie and deemed to be in contract talks with former Mansfield Town striker Matt Green

16 minutes ago, Matty-RCFC said:

Also reported to be interested in former West Ham and Hamilton full back Stephen Hendrie and deemed to be in contract talks with former Mansfield Town striker Matt Green

Meekings and Hendrie would be terrific signings.  Still a central midfielder, a winger and a striker short, though this Green character sounds like he might be the chap.

He scored 13 league goals last season, assuming he'll probably be a replacement for Boyce, which pains me to see but it's inevitable at the end of the day

In terms of a central midfielder, I think that Stefen Scougall would've been a good signing but St Johnstone got there first, county apparently interested in a young Sunderland midfielder on loan

For a winger I'd like to see another Ivan Sproule player, someone who can change the game in a split second, no suggestions on that front though

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:
1 hour ago, Matty-RCFC said:

Meekings and Hendrie would be terrific signings.  Still a central midfielder, a winger and a striker short, though this Green character sounds like he might be the chap.

Meekings, Hendrie and Green all sound like good solid signings, here's hoping 8)

Matt Green seems styled like Lyle Taylor, as a handful with pace and aggression.  His big chance at Birmingham was hampered by being out injured for most of his spell there.  He has spent the majority of his career in the Conference.

These Twitter rumours are all coming from the same account yeah?  It said that Hendrie was possibly joining on loan on the same day it was reported that Hendrie was released.

Meekings would be a great signing on its own merits, but there are plenty defenders at the club already, several of whom can cover more than one position.

Edited by bunglebonce

Matt Green seems styled like Lyle Taylor, as a handful with pace and aggression.  His big chance at Birmingham was hampered by being out injured for most of his spell there.  He has spent the majority of his career in the Conference.
These Twitter rumours are all coming from the same account yeah?  It said that Hendrie was possibly joining on loan on the same day it was reported that Hendrie was released.
Meekings would be a great signing on its own merits, but there are plenty defenders at the club already, several of whom can cover more than one position.

I would just love to see meekings sign to see what those over the bridge would react like

If Meekings were to come in I'd hope we could get shot of McEveley, purely to free up wages.

I don't mind big Jay and think he's a decent centre half but I don't see how he's going to get a game, there's only so many defenders we can play at any one time and with Fraser and Naismith more than acquitting themselves in a back three were overloaded in that department I'd say.

This lad Matt Green and two good central midfielders signing would be pleasing to hear.

Hearing c.750k and a sell-on clause.  But that's totally stolen from another punter on another forum and couldn't be less verified by me even if I rammed numerical fridge magnets up my arse and shat them all over the floor before picking out those three numbers which first caught my eye to indicate how many hundreds of thousands of pounds we sold our best player for.

Sad.

6 minutes ago, dingdong1929 said:

Hearing c.750k and a sell-on clause.  But that's totally stolen from another punter on another forum and couldn't be less verified by me even if I rammed numerical fridge magnets up my arse and shat them all over the floor before picking out those three numbers which first caught my eye to indicate how many hundreds of thousands of pounds we sold our best player for.

Sad.

Why do the numbers have to be fridge magnets?