The General Ross County Chat Thread

8 hours ago, Zing. said:

You guys supposedly wanting Liam Fontaine. He’s been decent for us but hasnt played this season due to injury/better players ahead of him. Be sad to see him leave. 

I'd imagine that's only as a result of Routis being out for the best part of the rest of the season.  Wouldn't seem to improve the team much, if at all, otherwise.

3 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

I'd imagine that's only as a result of Routis being out for the best part of the rest of the season.  Wouldn't seem to improve the team much, if at all, otherwise.

I know Routis can play centreback too, but we're struggling in centre mid as well.

Coyle might have to play Draper in his best position at this rate, and put an attacking midfielder in an attacking midfield role.

Hearing we're looking at bringing two in?  Not got much time left...

I know Routis can play centreback too, but we're struggling in centre mid as well.
Coyle might have to play Draper in his best position at this rate, and put an attacking midfielder in an attacking midfield role.
Hearing we're looking at bringing two in?  Not got much time left...

True. Tansey can’t still be injured, can he? Makes no sense at all, that one.

2 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

True. Tansey can’t still be injured, can he? Makes no sense at all, that one.

Was Tansey signed before Lindsey, JOB, and Routis all got injured?

I imagine he thought we had enough bodies, just needed to improve, which Tansey could offer once fit.

But now we've run out of bodies AND desperately need an improvement.

I'm just hoping against hope that he changes system to accommodate the best players available in their best positions; not holding my breath.

7 minutes ago, forkboy said:

It's beyond a joke how many players we've signed who aren't near full fitness. Jesus Christ.

Seems bizarre, they maybe better quality than what you have, but by the time they've got any sharpness you could be well adrift. 

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Seems bizarre, they maybe better quality than what you have, but by the time they've got any sharpness you could be well adrift. 

You'd assume you'd want players who are ready to go right now. Instead Owen Coyle has brought in 5 players, Eagles, Tansey, Effiong, N'Gog, Souttar. Eagles, Tansey & N'Gog aren't able to go 90 minutes. I assume Souttar has at least been playing regularly for the Stoke U19s or something.

It's as you say, by the time they are fit we're going to be all but mathematically down.

8 minutes ago, forkboy said:

You'd assume you'd want players who are ready to go right now. Instead Owen Coyle has brought in 5 players, Eagles, Tansey, Effiong, N'Gog, Souttar. Eagles, Tansey & N'Gog aren't able to go 90 minutes. I assume Souttar has at least been playing regularly for the Stoke U19s or something.

It's as you say, by the time they are fit we're going to be all but mathematically down.

Just to play devil's advocate:

-  Eagles was starting matches when we weren't bottom, he's got injured since then.  Admittedly he couldn't last 90 minutes, but we had DKD off the bench.
-  N'Gog is one of seven strikers (including Morrison and Mickelsen) and fit enough to feature as a sub, hopefully fit enough to start tonight.
-  Tansey hasn't been fit enough to feature at all, but was brought in when we had four central midfielders fit and the real issues seemed a lack of height up front and in defence; for which:
     - Souttar was captain of Stoke u-23s and played for the first team in the cup.
     - Effiong is fit, but maybe a bit of a 'rough diamond', plus N'Gog above.

Not really disagreeing with you, I'm just desperately trying not to be too damning and looking for silver linings.

It's hard work.

On 17/12/2017 at 18:18, bunglebonce said:

My shopping list:

* Let Kelly go, bring in a left-back who can try to keep up with other wingers and stop crosses getting in.  Ability going forward ideal but not essential, it's more important to lock that side of the pitch down more.  - Unresolved, unlikely to happen, with the centre-backs coming in we might end up seeing Fraser at left-back before long.  At least he'll stop crosses, but if that is to happen he'll need a quality winger in front of him.

* Bring in another centre-back who is good in the air.  - Done, Souttar is excellent and it looks like Fontaine will be good cover too.

* Let Chow go, maybe bring in a dedicated holding midfielder.  - Done, Tansey is quality, fingers crossed he will be available in a fortnight.

* Bring in a winger who can beat defenders for pace and get to the goal-line.  - Unresolved, but with Coyle wanting two signings today and one of them likely to be Fontaine, hopefully a winger is going to come in.  DKD is seriously over-rated by some, IMO, but he does have a lot of potential.

* Punt two of the four current strikers, bring in one with the attributes to play up front on his own i.e. pace and height.  Three centre-forwards is plenty when Coyle only uses two when chasing a game.  -  Done, in a weird fashion.  Only one striker has left so far, two 6'3" strikers with pace have come in.  Effiong is a strange signing considering Ngog was confirmed within days.  We now have five senior strikers for one position.  Ngog is a quality player for our aspirations.

Edited by bunglebonce

1 hour ago, bunglebonce said:

He's 32 and I don't think he's played on the left of a four in his time at Hibs. 

Dont know where im getting it from, maybe just from seeing him play on the left of a back 3 I've convinced myself he's a left-sided Marcus Fraser.

*see earlier mention of my being desperate and looking for silver linings*

8 minutes ago, Staggie52 said:

According to transfer market, Fontaine’s secondary position is left back, he’s in every paper he can find saying he’s fit.

Anybody got a clutching at straws gif handy?

That'll do for me!

source.gif

(please ignore any similarity that gif lad has to Harvey Weinstein, its not that kind of 'grasping')