The General Ross County Chat Thread

33 minutes ago, Loki said:

As long as we have a sell on clause as well, that isn't too bad. 

They made a similar deal with Raith for David Bates (nominal fee + dross youth on loan), and didn't include a sell on clause that time.

4 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

They made a similar deal with Raith for David Bates (nominal fee + dross youth on loan), and didn't include a sell on clause that time.

Think County are a bit more clued up on that front. Money made on the likes of Liam Boyce / Jackson Irvine etc. 

That being said, not sure what the rules and regulations are for a lad of his age. 

Season tickets go on sale from 10am today.

I was sceptical at first, it's obviously tough times, my wife and I are both still furloughed and things may worsen further depending on economic recovery. All of which has made me consider whether getting our season tickets again is a good idea but yes, I'm definitely getting them all, the continued improvement in Ross County is a great thing to be a part of and this will be a huge season for the club, as we strive to establish ourselves within the top tier of the Scottish game. 

The option of streaming Ross County games live to my sitting room is a novel one, might quite enjoy it with a few beers, jumping up and down on the couch but I love to be back in our usual seats with our friends around us (there's between 8 to 15 of us who sit together at the back of the East Stand Extension, have done since it was a grassy hill, many moons ago). 

Hopefully many more can re sign up for new season tickets and we can watch the next instalment of the Ross County adventure. 

8 hours ago, LondonHMFC said:

Think County are a bit more clued up on that front. Money made on the likes of Liam Boyce / Jackson Irvine etc. 

That being said, not sure what the rules and regulations are for a lad of his age. 

County didn’t get a penny from a sell on clause on either of those players.  But they did get cash on the barrel head on both, which is extremely rare.

I’m pretty sure RandomGuy is right - this Kelly guy isn’t going to be any good, and we’ve received a fee up front, which in these times is pretty essential.  Effectively, Rangers gave us their Jimmy Anderson money.

if we are as a few have said going with a 3-5-2 this season our squad probably looks like this

Laidlaw

Grivosti Donaldson Lacovitti

Randall      Paton Draper     Mullin

Kelly

Stewart        Mckay 

Can see Midge starting ahead of Kelly initially before he gets an opportunity in the side though.

There's a few Oldham fans on twitter saying how they are sad to see him leave too, so read into that what you will. 

They are the vast minority. The rest are urging the door not to hit his arse as he walks out. Something along the lines of - “his best attributes are hitting the ball long into space and out for a goal kick”.

Just now, Matty-RCFC said:

They are the vast minority. The rest are urging the door not to hit his arse as he walks out. Something along the lines of - “his best attributes are hitting the ball long into space and out for a goal kick”.

I only notice three comments from Oldham fans, it's not really a barometer to be relied upon imo, as if he was a top player we wouldn't be able to sign him. 

Hopefully Ketts and the coaching team can get the best out of him. 

I only notice three comments from Oldham fans, it's not really a barometer to be relied upon imo, as if he was a top player we wouldn't be able to sign him. 
Hopefully Ketts and the coaching team can get the best out of him. 

Check the Oldham twitter account. And of course I’m taking what they say with a pinch of salt really - I have full faith in every one of our new signings and I back him to do as well as he possibly can. Welcome etc.

42 minutes ago, staggy1929 said:

if we are as a few have said going with a 3-5-2 this season our squad probably looks like this

Laidlaw

Grivosti Donaldson Lacovitti

Randall      Paton Draper     Mullin

Kelly

Stewart        Mckay 

Can see Midge starting ahead of Kelly initially before he gets an opportunity in the side though.

Mullin is absolutely wasted in that position.  

I really don’t understand why they aren’t signing wide midfielders.  

This Lacovitti guy doesn’t sound promising, but maybe like Sean Kelly before him he’ll do a passable job.  I don’t like these “might have kept him but surprised he’s found a club at that level” type signings.  

Just now, Savage Henry said:

Mullin is absolutely wasted in that position.  

I really don’t understand why they aren’t signing wide midfielders.  

This Lacovitti guy doesn’t sound promising, but maybe like Sean Kelly before him he’ll do a passable job.  I don’t like these “might have kept him but surprised he’s found a club at that level” type signings.  

Mullin is a strange one because he's actually good defensively but he's one of the few in our team that create chances. It's the Graham Carey conundrum all over again. 

Just because he can and probably will play wingback doesn't mean he should. I agree he's a right midfielder and should be used there.

7 minutes ago, staggy1929 said:

Mullin is a strange one because he's actually good defensively but he's one of the few in our team that create chances. It's the Graham Carey conundrum all over again. 

Just because he can and probably will play wingback doesn't mean he should. I agree he's a right midfielder and should be used there.

I’m not convinced he’s that good defensively, either.  He had a tough time towards the end of last season when he was up against St Johnstone and other teams playing 3-5-2, so I wouldn’t want to see him up against a winger and a full back.

8 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

I’m not convinced he’s that good defensively, either.  He had a tough time towards the end of last season when he was up against St Johnstone and other teams playing 3-5-2, so I wouldn’t want to see him up against a winger and a full back.

I didn't watch them a lot the season they went up but I think he played wingback at Livi. I wonder if Reid is seen as being first team ready?

Just now, staggy1929 said:

I didn't watch them a lot the season they went up but I think he played wingback at Livi. I wonder if Reid is seen as being first team ready?

I’m assuming that he is.  There’s literally nobody else to play that position, other than a hopelessly misused Gardyne.  Joltin’. Joe Chalmers used to be a left back, I suppose, but the lack of competition on the left side is borderline criminal.

Ive been aware of Iacovitti for a few years now as he has been hobbling about English football for a while and, though he has a decent pedigree, he has never really struck me as the kind of player to make a huge impact up here. Don’t get me wrong, he is a decent player and can fill a gap in the squad, but wouldn’t be a noticeable improvement on what we had already.

I am surprised that we don’t seem to Ben targeting the raft of young players released by Premier League/Championship sides down south, who all now have a point to prove and face being locked out of the game. Grivosti came to us that way and has been a huge success so far!

1 hour ago, yoda said:

Sounds like a direct replacement for Fontaine!

Kelly sounds promising and will almost certainly be an upgrade on Henderson.

Good point.

Is a bit of style and or panache too much to ask for, though?  These dogs of war/agricultural players are going to make the team even more of an eyesore than it already is.

Edit:  he’s got a YouTube highlights reel.  Given County don’t have any scouts, this is how they’ll have found him.

Edited by Savage Henry