The General Ross County Chat Thread

4 hours ago, forkboy said:

You'll have to explain that one

A fan who's boycotted the club due to abusive text messages is excited to "give some abuse to that Tory arsehole".  

Sending abusive text messages: bad.  Abusing officials: good.

Did I mention that football fans are fickle?

2 minutes ago, Pete the Jakey said:

A fan who's boycotted the club due to abusive text messages is excited to "give some abuse to that Tory arsehole".  

I very much doubt his abuse would be anti semitic, homophobic or sexist. 

Calling a c**t a c**t is absolutely fine.

51 minutes ago, Pete the Jakey said:

Aye, I figured that was what you were getting at but didn't want to jump on you without clarification. But seeing as you've given it.

Holy shit that is either dumb as hell or else an utterly disingenuous attempt at a gotcha. Unsure which is sadder. No, racist/homophobic chat is not in fact the same thing as being mean to someone who's professional life is dedicated, intentionally or as a by-product, to making things worse for the poor, for minority groups, for the most vulnerable segments of society.

And lest we forget that Douglas has his own rich history of being an open bigot: https://tfn.scot/news/tory-msp-slammed-for-bigoted-gypsy-traveller-comments

Plenty of reasons to hate him. This is neither ironic or hypocritical but entirely consistent with my world view.

23 minutes ago, forkboy said:

Aye, I figured that was what you were getting at but didn't want to jump on you without clarification. But seeing as you've given it.

Holy shit that is either dumb as hell or else an utterly disingenuous attempt at a gotcha. Unsure which is sadder. No, racist/homophobic chat is not in fact the same thing as being mean to someone who's professional life is dedicated, intentionally or as a by-product, to making things worse for the poor, for minority groups, for the most vulnerable segments of society.

And lest we forget that Douglas has his own rich history of being an open bigot: https://tfn.scot/news/tory-msp-slammed-for-bigoted-gypsy-traveller-comments

Plenty of reasons to hate him. This is neither ironic or hypocritical but entirely consistent with my world view.

Yeah, I'll admit I'm on a sticky wicket here.  However I do find it a little ironic that for someone who is so principled as to boycott their supposed football club then wants to spend their first game back abusing a linesman, albeit a Tory linesman.   

5 hours ago, Pete the Jakey said:

Yeah, I'll admit I'm on a sticky wicket here.  However I do find it a little ironic that for someone who is so principled as to boycott their supposed football club then wants to spend their first game back abusing a linesman, albeit a Tory linesman.   

Your not on a sticky wicket as far as I am concerned. Abuse is abuse and shouldnt be tolerated. I bet those who use the 'anonimity' of the stands wouldnt say what they shout on a one to one basis to any person.

6 hours ago, forkboy said:

No fan of the Tories in general or Ross in particular, but this isn't about your personal view of him (reasons to hate him etc), it's about abuse.

You've said (and doubled down) on the legitimacy of abusing someone in a public place because you don't like their politics, but at the same time you've taken a moral stance on the basis of someone else's abuse of a different type. Does PtJs moderate highlighting of that discrepancy really merit that level of response (Dumb as hell/utterly disingenuous etc)?

35 minutes ago, Rosscubed said:

Religion and belief is though, which includes philosophical beliefs.

But of course that doesn’t cover political choice, and, as the High Court in England yesterday made it clear calling a Tory MP “Tory scum” is not illegal and is therefore acceptable as a political comment.

Aye Staggie52, it's an interesting area, and gets fuzzier of the full scope of hate incident legislation is enacted, where it's the perception of motivation that matters. But yes, def take the point that politics per se are not a PC.

Edited by Rosscubed

2 hours ago, Rosscubed said:

No fan of the Tories in general or Ross in particular, but this isn't about your personal view of him (reasons to hate him etc), it's about abuse.

You've said (and doubled down) on the legitimacy of abusing someone in a public place because you don't like their politics, but at the same time you've taken a moral stance on the basis of someone else's abuse of a different type. Does PtJs moderate highlighting of that discrepancy really merit that level of response (Dumb as hell/utterly disingenuous etc)?

Yes, it does.

Either he's comparing racist & homophobic abuse to being rude to an elected official, a party leader at that, which is in fact very stupid, or he's only even mentioning it because he's got some bee in his bonnet with me for whatever reason. Which is his right but doesn't mean I have to treat his "concerns" with any seriousness.

I'd rather talk about the football though, believe it or not, so for the sake of avoiding these tedious derails I'll keep schtum about Douglas Ross from now on.

8 hours ago, forkboy said:

Yes, it does.

Either he's comparing racist & homophobic abuse to being rude to an elected official, a party leader at that, which is in fact very stupid, or he's only even mentioning it because he's got some bee in his bonnet with me for whatever reason. Which is his right but doesn't mean I have to treat his "concerns" with any seriousness.

I'd rather talk about the football though, believe it or not, so for the sake of avoiding these tedious derails I'll keep schtum about Douglas Ross from now on.

I am also all for a thread with more football and less Douglas Ross, so we're aligned there. Onwards to speculation over the glories or horrors that await us under the third Adams era.