The General Ross County Chat Thread

What an absolutely ridiculous season following County. Between the excitement of the summer window where I thought we’d shopped well, to MM’s eyebleeding football and our ol’ pal Delboy. 

I’ve been extremely nit-picky towards Don, but he deserves a hell of a lot of credit for guiding this shit show to the shore over the past few weeks. Galvanising the club behind the scenes again alongside producing on the park. The Sevco, Hearts and Hibs were particularly enjoyable, and I completely believe he’s the right man to take us forward. I have no doubt he’ll be given good backing from Roy, too.

Looking into next season, I believe this summer will be an exciting one. With Yan leaving, and Si Murray definitely going to be under a lot of speculation, it’s fair to assume there’s going to be a hefty turnover in Dingwall again. We’ll have to get it right, as it as strong looking a Premiership as I’ve seen in a while and we’re probably favourites for 12th on the face of it. Hopefully, with this never say die culture that the club has embraced over the last 12 months, we can produce another season of punching above our weight and hopefully finishing in a position where we don’t have to constantly look over our shoulder.

I’ll see you all for the League Cup group stages, where we hopefully draw the newly-formed Kelty-based team. Enjoy your summer, folks!

Similar as above, been nitpicky over some of the games we've played, but Don inherited a wreck of a club post Malkyball and the disaster of the third coming of Del and deserves every credit for keeping us up with a convincing (even if it wasn't convincing at times) win.

Is there a chance it goes all Steven MacLean for Cowie?

Where you mistake a new manager bounce for the new manager being good, and then they're shafted by trying to rebuild a squad and find high level players in a Summer they've not been able to plan for and it all falls apart?

39 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Where you mistake a new manager bounce for the new manager being good, and then they're shafted by trying to rebuild a squad and find high level players in a Summer they've not been able to plan for and it all falls apart?

For the love of God give it a rest.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

There’s a chance anything might happen. Do you want to comment/estimate on the chance of it happening, or are you just bumping your gums so to speak?

Personally I think this is less than a new manager bounce as the fulfilment of a 3 year plan to develop Cowie as a manager. Ok there was a hiccup along the way this season, but without a doubt Cowie and McGregor have been discussing next season for some time now. I’m happy that it will be a good partnership, but this is football.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

We don't know if he can build a squad. Also don't know if his style might be different if he could have chosen the players he was working with. Absolutely no doubt though that he got the players, club, and support all pulling in the same direction. That made the difference this year. Even little things like giving decent game time to DA signings even if he ended up with mostly a MM team - that could easily have been a divided dressing room.

It's far more longer than a new manager bounce.

He knew he had the job long term anyway.

It's obvious the players were playing for him. Also they played 4 crucial games in 12 days yet the fitness levels were amazing. To pick them up psychologically also was a great achievement.

7 hours ago, Staggie52 said:

There’s a chance anything might happen. Do you want to comment/estimate on the chance of it happening, or are you just bumping your gums so to speak?

Personally I think this is less than a new manager bounce as the fulfilment of a 3 year plan to develop Cowie as a manager. Ok there was a hiccup along the way this season, but without a doubt Cowie and McGregor have been discussing next season for some time now. I’m happy that it will be a good partnership, but this is football.

Just asking, as even the "revitalised the club/fans bought in/players love him" stuff was what we were saying 12 months ago.

I tend to view things entirely through a St Johnstone lense so it's interesting seeing the similarities. 

8 minutes ago, Pete the Jakey said:

Is that lens smeared with shite by any chance?

Look at our last 3 seasons and you'll get your answer.

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

Don Cowie took over after the team downed tools at Motherwell.   It’s a great deal more than manager bounce.  

But that's what I'm driving at. MacLean took over a side that chucked it too and turned them around.

36 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

But that's what I'm driving at. MacLean took over a side that chucked it too and turned them around.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but from the outside MacLean never looked as if he particularly wanted the job.   I think that’s the biggest difference. 

That said, we have no idea what Cowie’s recruitment will be like so you might be right.  

8 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but from the outside MacLean never looked as if he particularly wanted the job.  

He did want it. He was primed, alongside Liam Craig, to be Davidsons replacement but it came years earlier than hoped.

4 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Just asking, as even the "revitalised the club/fans bought in/players love him" stuff was what we were saying 12 months ago.

I tend to view things entirely through a St Johnstone lense so it's interesting seeing the similarities. 

The difference is that this is the next stage of a long term plan. McGregor brought Cowie back as a player, even though he was arguably past it. He kept him on as a coach with the plan that Malky would mentor him over three years at which stage Cowie would take over.

McGregor has since made it clear that the appointment was permanent from the start even if we had gone down. Both have made long term commitments, whereas never say never, I would be gobsmacked if Cowie isn’t here for a few years irrespective of results.

Where do you lads think you'd be now if you kept Kettlewell? Was it the correct decision to punt him?

Such a big County hero doing relatively well after Motherwell and the spate of utter shite you've hired after him, in retrospect do you think it was the right or wrong decision?