The General Ross County Chat Thread

Darren Maatsen has apparently left the club which is a bit of shame, feel he should've been given more of a chance. A poster on OTB is also saying that County are after Joe Gormley of Cliftonville, who was Liam Boyce's strike partner there. Has some goal scoring record, but is most likely nonsense.

Talk on twitter of Abdoulaye Méïté and Joe Gormley but apparently Jim said no more players are coming in on STV news, pity as I think both would be good additions!

Makes no sense of getting rid of Maatsen then, Wednesday will be interesting....

I hope and expect to be present at Ross County Football Club's next 2 football matches. As these will be the first games I have attended in over 2 years, (and it could easily be as long again until I attend again), I will be bitterly disappointed by anything short of a rousing 3-0 victory at Aberdeen and 5-0 v Motherwell. I also want expect Stuart Kettlewell and Richard Brittain to sit next to me.

Real shame that Maatsen has gone. He offered more than Joe Cardle ever did as a winger and at least he was a genuine option to have on the right hand side as opposed to a more central player (i.e., Curran, C., Gardyne, M., Irvine, J., and Jervis, J.) being stuck out there.

He should have been given more opportunities under both Adams and McIntyre.

Is Dunfield still stealing a wage at the club? He's surely got to be on his way out now, particularly after the Palazuelos signing. Is Gardyne still here or has his loan expired?

Something I worked on last night when it became clear there weren't going to be any deadline-day signings.

These are the options available to McIntyre. The square brackets denote long term absences (Frempah should have been given square brackets too). I assume Gardyne will be available soon. Palazuelos is mentioned at left-back due to playing there a little at Hearts. Curran, Dingwall, Carey and Gardyne are on both flanks because they've been used on both sides. Saunders might have to play there if Reckord is ever unavailable. I still believe Sernas to be first and foremost a centre-forward who can play elsewhere, rather than the other way around - he was up front against Scotland and for his goals against Czech Republic and Spain.

If a 4-2-3-1 was used instead, then you're looking at Kiss, Carey, Sernas, Gardyne, Dingwall and perhaps Woods for the central attacking midfield position.

You can see why Maatsen has been ditched, even if I don't agree with it. Even considering the long term absentees, there are loads of options and there is no excuse not to start picking up more points other than not being good enough.

34smi2x.png

I forgot about Burgess at left-centre-back.

Edited by bunglebonce

Absolutely, it's a genuine concern. I didn't think he was that great against Caley, he lost way too many aerial duels. There are too many supporters - especially on OTB - who can't see past their loyalty to Ross County's longest-serving player. And I put myself down as a Boyd-lover, but I'm being realistic: it's been a recurring theme for three seasons.

If you want to play Boyd and Quinn then you need someone in midfield specifically to take the ball off them and/or open up more angles. Lawson's return to the team in Jan '13 was just as important as all the new signings, because before then it was just hoofball from the defence going nowhere. McIntyre's central midfield either is too far up the park when chasing a game, or too deep when defending en masse to be able to play out effectively. Kiss is classy but doesn't look for the ball enough. Brittain has a good switch but likewise. Woods did an OK job with it against Caley and that's why I'm pinning my hopes so much on Palazuelos.

Cleared a few headers, but as BB says, when up against the likes of Warren he will lose out more often than not.

Boyd's distribution was my main concern about him on Saturday.

Had a few badly overhit passes that took time for our wingbacks/midfielders to take control of, by which time they were being pressed by Caley and in trouble, or just punts to nowhere. Conversely, Quinn actually impressed me against Caley with some very composed moments on the ball. Still shit myself whenever he is exposed though.

I do like Boyd, and he did play his part in respectable performances lately, but we so desperately need points that it's becoming difficult to accommodate any players weaknesses.

Am putting a lot on Palazuelos too, but am quite hopeful about him.