The General Ross County Chat Thread

39 minutes ago, Rcfc fan said:

How did Garrick look?

Hard to tell, he only lasted about half an hour or so before having to be subbed in a friendly against a Highland league side due to an injury. Didn’t see anything cause the injury so  might be a fitness issue. I’ve heard he had an injury problem last season, if that’s true and considering he didn’t last long I wouldn’t pin my hopes of him being a player that we would want, but time will tell.

1 hour ago, Rcfc fan said:

How did Garrick look?

He looked lively, always looking to make runs off his market but they weren't always forthcoming. White was pretty static too in the 1st half (although he had a cracking headed goal wrongly chopped off, in the 2nd half).

Garrick tweeked, or pulled something around his left groin, after he stretched to get to a ball to cross it near the bye-line. He looked okay but very hard to judge him on ½ hour of play, when the team were clearly warming up & the link up play was clearly not quite up to speed. I suppose if he's been up training then maybe Cowie's seen enough to give him a go 🤷🏼‍♂️

16 hours ago, StoneThrowAway said:

Anyone know the deal for Tuesday vs Clach? Is it 1st team? County haven’t mentioned anywhere, but Clach have it on their fixture list…

Just saw this on X or twitter.

Looks a similar set up to the Brora game. We've got Stranraer away on Saturday so best to get a few semi competitive minutes under the belt. Maybe see more/other trialists?

14 minutes ago, StoneThrowAway said:

Akil Wright signed from Stockport County... Right sided defender/centre mid...

Quote from the club.

Ross County FC are delighted to confirm the signing of Akil Wright from Stockport County for an undisclosed fee. He joins us on a 3-year deal.

Akil is a versatile player who can play both on the right side of defence and in central midfield. As well as Stockport County he has also had spells at York City, Wrexham, Barrow and AFC Fylde.

Don Cowie added on Akil’s arrival, ‘We are absolutely delighted to finalise the signing of Akil. We identified Akil at the end of the season as a player who we believe is a great fit for our football. Akil has a wealth of experience in English football, predominantly playing in defence but has the versatility to also play in midfield.’

Welcome to the club, Akil!

With Brown, Efete, Baldwin, Randall, Smith & Ewan we're well stacked.

I haven't seen Baldwin about, is there room to let him leave maybe?

11 minutes ago, Sensible Soccer🏴 said:

Quote from the club.

Ross County FC are delighted to confirm the signing of Akil Wright from Stockport County for an undisclosed fee. He joins us on a 3-year deal.

Akil is a versatile player who can play both on the right side of defence and in central midfield. As well as Stockport County he has also had spells at York City, Wrexham, Barrow and AFC Fylde.

Don Cowie added on Akil’s arrival, ‘We are absolutely delighted to finalise the signing of Akil. We identified Akil at the end of the season as a player who we believe is a great fit for our football. Akil has a wealth of experience in English football, predominantly playing in defence but has the versatility to also play in midfield.’

Welcome to the club, Akil!

With Brown, Efete, Baldwin, Randall, Smith & Ewan we're well stacked.

I haven't seen Baldwin about, is there room to let him leave maybe?

Harmon/Reid - Leak/Lamie - Baldwin/Smith - Nightingale/Wright - Brown/Efete... at least 2 for each position...

Posted (edited)

On paper an excellent signing. We are very dogs-of-war heavy though.  

Caveat being I’ve never seen him play.  Calliing @RandomGuy.

edit: I see the club admin has all

but confirmed The Hale deal as well.  

Edited by Savage Henry

The number of players quoted by Ferguson was never realistic. Our squad at the moment;

GK - Laidlaw / Hamilton / Ross

DEF - Harmon / Reid / Brown / Efete / Leak / Baldwin / Nightingale / Lamie / Smith / Wright / Ewan

MID - Randal / Loturi / Allardice / Sheaf / Telfer / Macleod / Robesten

ATT - Murray (will be gone) / Samuel / White / Brophy.

Seriously lacking attacking/creative players...

Posted (edited)

Once we have Hale and possibly Garrick signed we're not in too bad a place. Still plenty time before the league season starts but more pace wouldn't go a miss.

I'd imagine we've no chance but I'm still dreaming Jamie Lindsay is going to come back.

Edited by staggy4life

6 minutes ago, StoneThrowAway said:

The number of players quoted by Ferguson was never realistic. Our squad at the moment;

GK - Laidlaw / Hamilton / Ross

DEF - Harmon / Reid / Brown / Efete / Leak / Baldwin / Nightingale / Lamie / Smith / Wright / Ewan

MID - Randal / Loturi / Allardice / Sheaf / Telfer / Macleod / Robesten

ATT - Murray (will be gone) / Samuel / White / Brophy.

Seriously lacking attacking/creative players...

Put that way, unbelievably, but County are still lacking a central midfielder.   As they have done for 10 years.  The lack of creativity is… a concern. 

Nice to sign a player where the fans of his previous club are saying how good he is and how sad they are to see him go makes a refreshing change. 

I see the record reporting we have booted out bids from Dundee and Hibs for Murray and we’d rather keep him, if that’s the case and we get Hale/Garrick too then I think we are just a midfielder or possibly 2 away from being done in the window

37 minutes ago, staggy4life said:

Once we have Hale and possibly Garrick signed we're not in too bad a place. Still plenty time before the league season starts but more pace wouldn't go a miss.

I'd imagine we've no chance but I'm still dreaming Jamie Lindsay is going to come back.

If Hale's fitness was anything like Liam Boyce's he will take 6 months to get up to speed.  I've no doubt he's got shooting boots but that league is played at a different pace altogether.

1 hour ago, Pete the Jakey said:

If Hale's fitness was anything like Liam Boyce's he will take 6 months to get up to speed.  I've no doubt he's got shooting boots but that league is played at a different pace altogether.

Hopefully Brophy can get a good preseason under his belt (he didn't last year) so he can lead the line & hit the ground running.

That way Hale can be worked on & brought up to speed. Alex Samuel has had a run of 1st team football (albeit at a lower level) so should hopefully take some of attacking responsibility 🤞

I'm a bit bemused by the reaction to the latest squad news. I recall last year's utterly bizarre optimism following a dire season and a penalty kick survival. What followed was among  the worst football I've ever witnessed.  It took a late Don Cowie intervention and a dreadful Livingston side to secure our future  - and that was with Dhanda and Murray. So, let's not get too carried away,  we aren't  going go attract Yamal or Guler to Dingwall. What we have is a promising young manager who knows the club inside out and will recruit sensibly to cover for losses and build more resilience.  To that end , I'm convinced that Rangers will fail to take points off us at Ibrox in August. 

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Steve Carrella said:

To that end , I'm convinced that Rangers will fail to take points off us at Ibrox in August. 

I see what you did there.  Rangers wont be taking points off anyone at Ibrox for a while.

Edited by Pete the Jakey