The General Ross County Chat Thread

30 minutes ago, Steve Carrella said:

I'm a bit bemused by the reaction to the latest squad news. I recall last year's utterly bizarre optimism following a dire season and a penalty kick survival. What followed was among  the worst football I've ever witnessed.  It took a late Don Cowie intervention and a dreadful Livingston side to secure our future  - and that was with Dhanda and Murray. So, let's not get too carried away,  we aren't  going go attract Yamal or Guler to Dingwall. What we have is a promising young manager who knows the club inside out and will recruit sensibly to cover for losses and build more resilience.  To that end , I'm convinced that Rangers will fail to take points off us at Ibrox in August. 

FFS it's preseason, are we not allowed a bit of optimism, looking at the table we're joint top with everyone else. The weather has been awful so if some of us chose to be a little hopeful, why do you feel the need to piss on our chips?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to popping down to Clach park tomorrow evening, to get another dose of optimism 🥳

10 minutes ago, Sensible Soccer🏴 said:

FFS it's preseason, are we not allowed a bit of optimism, looking at the table we're joint top with everyone else. The weather has been awful so if some of us chose to be a little hopeful, why do you feel the need to piss on our chips?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to popping down to Clach park tomorrow evening, to get another dose of optimism 🥳

You appear to have picked up the wrong end of my post. I can assure you that your chips are edible.

Just now, Steve Carrella said:

You appear to have picked up the wrong end of my post. I can assure you that your chips are edible.

Not unless County have changed their caterers. 

There’s your man Hale posting on his Instagram story from the departure lounge prior to his flight to Inverness. Unless The Mouthbreathers have had permission granted for the Oxygen Farm or whatever, I think we can safely say he’ll be joining us soon.

Hopefully he joins in time to feature tomorrow night - which I believe will be a full strength County side.

8 minutes ago, Matty-RCFC said:

There’s your man Hale posting on his Instagram story from the departure lounge prior to his flight to Inverness. Unless The Mouthbreathers have had permission granted for the Oxygen Farm or whatever, I think we can safely say he’ll be joining us soon.

Hopefully he joins in time to feature tomorrow night - which I believe will be a full strength County side.

Either us or Ajax.  

9 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Caveat being I’ve never seen him play.  Calliing @RandomGuy.

county.thumb.png.1281005ded7fbec8e238bf8878f8c58c.png

Looks like he'd suit right of a back three really well? CBs ones are influenced a lot by how they're asked to play though, so they're less insightful than you'd like.

FWIW this is Hale, system, funnily enough, says the most similar striker you've had "style" wise is Murray.

hale.thumb.png.5023f40eabbbb158e24a311f7fba06e5.png

Good to see the club playing hard ball in the transfer market, and none of this "mutual consent" pish.

Murray is of some value to us and the clubs that want him, get us paid or he stays. I'd like to see him stay but I also understand his reasons for going. 

18 hours ago, Matty-RCFC said:

Good stuff. (Well, obviously I've never watched an NIFL game in my life, but you hope for the best)

I do wonder if we'll see many loanees coming in this summer, or if Don favours permanent signings.

Posted (edited)

Just seen that Jack Baldwin is off to Northampton now

Can't really fault anyone for wanting to be closer to their family.

Edited by forkboy

1 minute ago, forkboy said:

Just seen that Jack Baldwin is off to Northampton now

Can't really fault anyone for wanting to be closer to their family.

Don’t think he had his best season, and Nightengale is pretty much the same player - undersized, mobile centre back.   Lovely fella, did the club proud off the pitch.  

Posted (edited)

Calamity Jack... overall not that bothered... When he first came in he looked a real good signing, then for a large part looked horrendous, but I thought he finished really strong and would have been happy to keep him this season.

Edited by StoneThrowAway

Solid enough centre half who I would have rather we kept, as said above he was very respectful off the pitch and fitted in well with the club, I’d install nightingale as captain and give him the central berth in the back 5 think he’s a better player than Baldwin

A change in the throw in routine needed now....no longer will we be chucking it long(ish) to the opposition all the time, I for one, welcome the the Don-ball......Cow-ball....Cowie-ball....whatever-we-call-it-ball.....tactics.

27 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Laidlaw or Leak, I guess, for captain?  

White had the armband for the first half against Brora, Randall took the armband once all the subs were made.  

Baldwin a real mixed bag of mostly bad. Started poorly, then got seriously decent in that wee spell where we were beating sides, then back to being very shaky, error prone and far too prone to bad positional decisions and/or red cards. Every now and then he looks a real centre half, but then he does something stupid.

...and I am not going to miss his endless long throws which results in very, very little.

Absolutely awful news for my yellow card bet builders.

Baldwin is a good guy. Ultimately though, would any other team in the Premiership have taken him? I doubt they would’ve. I think it’s a win/win for all parties.

Posted (edited)

I thought Baldwin was consistently very good in his own 18 yard box at defending crosses or blocking shots. Get him turned though and you were always expecting a desperate lunge at some point each match. Aberdeen had him sussed. Overall a good player and captain for us but also the right time for both parties to cut ties.

Edited by staggy4life