The General Ross County Chat Thread

At least give the guy a chance before writing him off. He’s obviously not going to be our first choice striker because we’ve got one of the leagues form strikers at the minute so he’s going to be a plan B option to bring off the bench with 30 mins to go. Maybe when we’re chasing a game give us someone to hit or when we’re seeing a game out give us an out ball. We’ve signed worse than this but cause he played for Caley (and always caused us trouble when he did) he’s getting written off. But the boys got no chance when he’s being slated before he’s even signed.

45 minutes ago, Matty-RCFC said:

a plan B option to bring off the bench with 30 mins to go. 

That makes it an even worse signing as according to his dad, he has never scored a goal before when he came off the bench.

21 hours ago, PB1994 said:

That makes it an even worse signing as according to his dad, he has never scored a goal before when he came off the bench.

Just did a rough estimate count and 53 of his 117 came in either League 1, League 2, Challenge Cup or the League of Ireland.  In the Championship he scored 35 goals in 144 games (on average a goal just over every four games). 

Edited by Highland Capital

How many players have been good at one club but struggled at others? Does that mean no one should give them a chance? Just give the guy a break. He is our player now so lets back him and the rest of the team in what is going to see us play some very challenging fixtures.

10 minutes ago, silver said:

How many players have been good at one club but struggled at others? Does that mean no one should give them a chance? Just give the guy a break. He is our player now so lets back him and the rest of the team in what is going to see us play some very challenging fixtures.

I think we can be disappointed that someone has signed but still back them and hope they do well, don't think any of us are saying we want him to fail. We've had a pretty poor window up to now and signing players with sketchy at best records elsewhere is worth criticising but again it doesn't mean that I hope that White or anyone else has a howler.

I'm not going to pretend to be happy that we've signed someone that can't get a game for a Motherwell side that was near the bottom of the league (until they beat us)

On 28/01/2021 at 13:26, craigkillie said:

I make it that White will be the 38th different player to play for both County and Inverness since 1997 (when my data currently starts). For context, only 8 players have played for Hearts and Hibs in the same period.

That's a great stat. Also love that you have a database on that thing.

23 hours ago, Comrie said:

That was my tweet- had his dad and his missus (I think) post on it.

Wonder if she'll be our new Amy McDonald, going radge at anyone and anything.

23 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

Admirable maybe but if I was a footballer and my family acted like that I'd be horrified!

On this thing. His missus was certainly on one the other day replying to a lot of Motherwell tweets. They all seemed to vanish though...

I'd get my family telt anaw if they waded in on my behalf on twitter.

Edited by Busta Nut

1 minute ago, Busta Nut said:

That's a great stat. Also love that you have a database on that thing.

On this thing. His missus was certainly one the other day replying to a lot of Motherwell tweets. They all seemed to vanish though...

I'd get my family telt anaw if they waded in on my behalf on twitter.

That was a rough calculation off Wikipedia! I'm sure his family mean but some of the tweets arguing with fans are absolutely cringeworthy.  The Polworth family used to be particularly bad for it actually but they seem to have taken a step back.

2 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

Just did a rough estimate count and 52 of his 117 came in either League 1, League 2, Challenge Cup or the League of Ireland.  In the Championship he scored 35 goals in 144 games (on average a goal just over every four games). 

That sounds about right. I know he scored 16 for us in his first season but the majority of that was in the cups against non-league/lower league teams. 

That sounds about right. I know he scored 16 for us in his first season but the majority of that was in the cups against non-league/lower league teams. 
According to Soccerbase he scored 16 goals in 52 games in 18-19.  Of those 16, 7 were in the league and two were against Ayr in the away play off.  He scored a hat-trick against Edinburgh City and another against East Kilbride.  He scored six in the league last season (granted a shorter season) and scored 10 in 37 games.

£300,000 (minus whatever the Glasgow Saints are probably due) is an exceptional piece of business for a striker who is out of contract at the end of the season, and has only got 9 topflight goals to his name. I like Stewart but County are doing well to get anything for him.

3 minutes ago, yoda said:

£300,000 (minus whatever the Glasgow Saints are probably due) is an exceptional piece of business for a striker who is out of contract at the end of the season, and has only got 9 topflight goals to his name. I like Stewart but County are doing well to get anything for him.

Yep. Even if the combined fees for Reid and Stewart add up to about £500K, then that goes a long way to replacing the lost income every match day.