The General Ross County Chat Thread

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

You just keep defending a middle aged bigot because "people change".

What do you think is the point in anti racism campaigns if people can’t change? I’m genuinely curious. 
I don’t defend those statements he made. Absolutely abhorrent. I do defend someone’s right to try and become a different person though. I think there’s a genuine debate as to whether that reformed person can get into the position he is. But the stance you have that people are incapable of changing, nah not for me 

1 minute ago, ScottishZizou said:

What do you think is the point in anti racism campaigns if people can’t change? 

I think people can change.

I don't think a 40yo man who made as many comments as he did, who showed zero remorse at any point, and who has never actually paid any price for it, has changed.

36 minutes ago, Pato said:

Is there much of a fan ownership movement where Ross County's concerned? If there wasn't, is there one now?

They’re the last team who would become fan owned. 

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I don't think a 40yo man who made as many comments as he did, who showed zero remorse at any point, and who has never actually paid any price for it, has changed.

I agree that without those he should not have been hired by County, I think we possibly have more common ground on this than we realise. I just don’t think you can definitely determine the man is still a bigot. 

15 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I don't get the relevance of him being 40. Surely the biggest target for anti-racism campaigns is the middle-aged who grew up when this sort of bigoted language was, if not more acceptable, at least more widespread. As others have said, what's the point of taking the knee or the Give Racism the Red Card campaigns if they don't change views?

Definitely a debate to be had about whether he has reformed. (I was disappointed that in his interview he skirted the issue with the 'I'm a nice guy' line and claimed to have explained it all in interviews years ago. Well fucking explain it again.)  I'd have hoped to see some contrition – and maybe that will come. Equally I don't think we should just forever judge him on past prejudice.  That would be kind of ironic, really.

Edited by Mr Heliums

13 minutes ago, Mr Heliums said:

I don't get the relevance of him being 40. 

By that stage he should be old enough to now whats acceptable and whats not. Theres also a higher chance he'll be set in his ways by then.

The racism campaigns etc., are targeted at the younger generation IMO, in an attempt to stem the tide. Its mostly younger folk who are sending racist abuse to footballers over Twitter.

f**k me, I've just read Ferguson's comments on it. The piece on the BBC was published 5 hours ago so it's probably been done to death already, but the line..

"We know of Malky's past but I keep having to emphasise that we're very much a progressive club so we want to be looking forward rather than where we've been or where other people have been."

...seems to suggest that Ferguson is unaware of what the word "progressive" means.

9 minutes ago, Ric said:

f**k me, I've just read Ferguson's comments on it. The piece on the BBC was published 5 hours ago so it's probably been done to death already, but the line..

"We know of Malky's past but I keep having to emphasise that we're very much a progressive club so we want to be looking forward rather than where we've been or where other people have been."

...seems to suggest that Ferguson is unaware of what the word "progressive" means.

He’s a smart guy, relatively speaking,  He knows fine well what progressive means.  I think he’s just in denial.

Just now, Savage Henry said:

He’s a smart guy, relatively speaking,  He knows fine well what progressive means.  I think he’s just in denial.

If he is as clever as you claim then it's even more damning he uses that word, either that or it's a statement that has been passed down "from above" that he had to say verbatim.

Just now, Ric said:

If he is as clever as you claim then it's even more damning he uses that word, either that or it's a statement that has been passed down "from above" that he had to say verbatim.

Relatively speaking being that he can actually pronounce the word, I suppose.

2 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:

Hearing CountyTV are considering hiring Ron Atkinson for next season.

Bernard Manning as co-commentator.

3 hours ago, silver said:

I am reminded at this moment in time of John 8:7

So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.

Well, as I'm not an unrepentant homophobe & mildly repentant racist I guess I'm in a good position to cast that first stone: Malky Mackay getting hired by Ross County is an utter disgrace. Offering second chances is one thing, but you've got to earn them, show some fucking contrition. Instead it's been downplayed as "friendly banter" & he's walked into jobs first at Wigan & then at the SFA & now at County.

9 minutes ago, Ric said:

That quote is an absolute fucking travesty. "We're a progressive club so we don't mind that he was a racist in the past so long as he's not a racist in the future." It's pure sophistry & not very good sophistry at that.

1 minute ago, GNU_Linux said:

Hearing CountyTV are considering hiring Ron Atkinson for next season.

Genuinely thought he had to be dead by now but apparently not.

Obviously pretty horrified by this appointment. Won't be giving the club a penny while he's in place. And unless he's punted pronto, I don't know if I can realistically go back; not while the people who thought that this was a good idea are still in place. There's something rotten that lets a decision like this go through. Doesn't matter if he does a good job on the field. He could win the Champions League & it'd still be an absolutely fucking appalling appointment. Whoever it was that said they'd rather have Willie McStay back with Owen Coyle as Assistant was bang on.

I am reminded at this moment in time of John 8:7

So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.
Don't know about John 8:7*, I'm reminded of The Life of Brian.

*on penalties I presume?