The General Ross County Chat Thread

Four weeks until the league cup starts and we don't have a team.  Bit of a worry?

We have a team at least first 11 , the only doubt is Iacovitti who hasn’t confirmed as re signing

Same formations as last year

Laidlaw

Watson
Baldwin
Iacovitti
Randall

Tilson
Cancola

H.Paton
Callachan
Sims

White

20 minutes ago, Sammy said:

We have a team at least first 11 , the only doubt is Iacovitti who hasn’t confirmed as re signing

Harry Paton is also out of contract, and there have been conflicting reports about the length of David Cancola's contract.

I don't think there's any need to panic about lack of signings yet. The nature of the market we're operating in is that these deals get done later (be it loan signings or guys who are weighing up options elsewhere). The early stages of pre-season and the League Cup should be navigable by the players already on the books supplemented by youngsters.

But the lack of updates on the out of contract players is a bit surprising (especially as the decision on "releasing" Paton should be an easy one).

1 hour ago, Sammy said:

Same formations as last year

Laidlaw

Watson
Baldwin
Iacovitti
Randall

Tilson
Cancola

H.Paton
Callachan
Sims

White

Small problem Iacovitti, Harry Paton and possibly Cancola are not signed up for this season.

Personally find it very concerning that we are trotting out the same excuses as last year when Malky himself has stated it’s not a sustainable plan.

Last years loan signings were at best very mix with the excellent Clarke & Hungbo, the decent Vokins , the rest were ordinary at best.

Last year Spittal & Iacovitti we’re still signed and RCC surprised us all.

It’s good to see we are being spoken of highly in regards to being a good Loan destination, having said that I hope we don’t take the same volume of loan players this year perhaps just one or two in the hungbo mould that give us real quality we couldn’t get permanently , having 5/6 loan players again shouldn’t be seen as a plausible option

5 hours ago, Rcfc fan said:

It’s good to see we are being spoken of highly in regards to being a good Loan destination, having said that I hope we don’t take the same volume of loan players this year perhaps just one or two in the hungbo mould that give us real quality we couldn’t get permanently , having 5/6 loan players again shouldn’t be seen as a plausible option

Agreed, quality over quantity please.

It certainly allows us to attract a level of player that may not be available to us, if it weren't through the loan system. The thing with academy players is that they need 1st team football to see how they'll stand up to the pressures.

After just one season of this new project, it is certainly good news to be regarded as a good destination to send players. 

Players out of contract (Paton, Spittal, Iacovitti etc) will have waited till the end of the season to see where we finished which leaves us playing a waiting game before the windows even started, especially seeing as we didn’t finish 5th.
You then have the issue of younger players not wanting to relocate to the Highlands (heard we were in for McInroy but signing for Killie means he doesn’t have to relocate).
These two factors mean loan players are pretty much always going to be utilised because finding players of sufficient quality that are young enough on permanent deals is so hard for us compared to a Motherwell, St Mirren even a Dundee.
Loan players are always going to move towards the end of the window because parent clubs are going to keep them for pre-season to see if they are of benefit to their first team before sending them out on loan and that’s probably why we’ve not signed any yet but I’m certain there will be another 4/5 join the club before the League starts (not opposed to this at all by the way).
Understand this model isn’t everyone’s cup of tea but I trust in the fact that near every player brought up on loan was a relative success last season and other clubs seeing County progress loan players is only a good thing because it opens the door for us to sign better players on loan.

Just my opinion and I know it’s probably not popular but I’m generally behind the loan model as I think it’s the best way for us to get the highest quality players we can get for as cheap as possible.

1 hour ago, Matty-RCFC said:

Players out of contract (Paton, Spittal, Iacovitti etc) will have waited till the end of the season to see where we finished which leaves us playing a waiting game before the windows even started, especially seeing as we didn’t finish 5th.
You then have the issue of younger players not wanting to relocate to the Highlands (heard we were in for McInroy but signing for Killie means he doesn’t have to relocate).
These two factors mean loan players are pretty much always going to be utilised because finding players of sufficient quality that are young enough on permanent deals is so hard for us compared to a Motherwell, St Mirren even a Dundee.
Loan players are always going to move towards the end of the window because parent clubs are going to keep them for pre-season to see if they are of benefit to their first team before sending them out on loan and that’s probably why we’ve not signed any yet but I’m certain there will be another 4/5 join the club before the League starts (not opposed to this at all by the way).
Understand this model isn’t everyone’s cup of tea but I trust in the fact that near every player brought up on loan was a relative success last season and other clubs seeing County progress loan players is only a good thing because it opens the door for us to sign better players on loan.

Just my opinion and I know it’s probably not popular but I’m generally behind the loan model as I think it’s the best way for us to get the highest quality players we can get for as cheap as possible.

^^^ Far too rational a post for discussing Ross County, needs more outrage.

3 hours ago, Matty-RCFC said:

I think there needs to be a blend of utilising loan players while simultaneously planning for the future. I think we were far too loan heavy last year, although the loan players that worked out (Clarke until he left, Hungbo and Vokins) added to the squad massively however we had a lot of duds (Robertson, AMB, Burroughs, Drysdale) I think it's all about balance. If we can some experienced players in who know the league on permanent deals while adding exciting young loan players in I'm all for it.

I think there needs to be a blend of utilising loan players while simultaneously planning for the future. I think we were far too loan heavy last year, although the loan players that worked out (Clarke until he left, Hungbo and Vokins) added to the squad massively however we had a lot of duds (Robertson, AMB, Burroughs, Drysdale) I think it's all about balance. If we can some experienced players in who know the league on permanent deals while adding exciting young loan players in I'm all for it.

Whilst I obviously agree with you, my point is attracting those “experienced players” in permanently is far harder for County than teams in similar league positions, and also a lot harder than some County fans generally make it out to be. Hence why we relied so heavily on the loan market last season and why I expect we will do the exact same this season too.

4 minutes ago, Matty-RCFC said:

Whilst I obviously agree with you, my point is attracting those “experienced players” in permanently is far harder for County than teams in similar league positions, and also a lot harder than some County fans generally make it out to be. Hence why we relied so heavily on the loan market last season and why I expect we will do the exact same this season too.

We've definitely shown in the past it is something we can do when push comes to shove, Callachan signing last season after having a good season with Accies was one that stood out. The only way we beat these other teams to the punch is if Roy pays more. Using the loan market can actually help with that I think as we'd only be paying a percentage of their wage potentially. Lets just hope we aren't left short in key positions like last season when the season starts.

2 hours ago, staggy1929 said:

Think AMB was good not a dud , agree with rest though

7 hours ago, Matty-RCFC said:

You then have the issue of players not wanting to relocate to the Highlands 

the loan model as I think it’s the best way for us to get the highest quality players we can get for as cheap as possible.

Have you considered all options whilst coming to your conclusion?

Iacovitti is a player who looked like an absolute bombscare when Kettlewell signed him, but the Baldwin + Iacovitti partnership was absolutely pivotal to our finishing position last season. Well done to the club for getting these two deals done.