The General Ross County Chat Thread

4 minutes ago, Pete the Jakey said:

Wonder what it means for Cowie.  Did they ever play together, I think their careers overlapped at some point.  

Won the challenge cup together.

29 minutes ago, Rcfc fan said:

I don’t really know why but I am buzzing about this , must be the fact all our fans can unite again and hopefully he can bring us back some memories like he did before (cup final, promotion and top 6 finish) 

Yeah my thoughts too, a popular figure with the fans that we can get behind. My only concern was the mess of a squad he left behind the last time with some of the worst players I’ve ever laid my eyes upon, but happy to see him to come back the more I’ve thought about it with the success he brought to the club.

Edited by Staggie_93

14 minutes ago, Staggie_93 said:

My only concern was the mess of a squad he left behind the last time with some of the worst players I’ve ever laid my eyes upon

Agree with this but hoping he has learnt and gained contacts from leagues 1&2 in England, as you said the squad he left us with before was shocking but at least this time at county he has the foundation of a pretty good team here

23 minutes ago, Rcfc fan said:

Agree with this but hoping he has learnt and gained contacts from leagues 1&2 in England, as you said the squad he left us with before was shocking but at least this time at county he has the foundation of a pretty good team here

It could be argued that the mass signings of European duds can be squarely attributed to his Dad.

30 minutes ago, Rcfc fan said:

Mackay had plenty of contacts, only works if the teams are happy to let their better players head up North. However he seems to have taken in some decent players for Morecambe, imagine we will see a good bit of movement in January. 

3 hours ago, forkboy said:

I went on the BBC site to see if there were any rumours on the new boss only to see Adams and having to swear out loud. Well, I hope his time down south has taught him better man management skills than punching his players...

Starting to get the impression that MacGregor isn't a very good judge of character...Oh well, it's his toy, he can do what he wants with it I suppose.

Genuinely think he's a better shout than any of the other realistic prospects mentioned. Who would be better ?

2 hours ago, Rosscubed said:

Genuinely think he's a better shout than any of the other realistic prospects mentioned. Who would be better ?

Someone who hasn't punched one of the members of the playing staff in the dressing room? Because punching Higgins really does standout in my memory as much as the Scottish Cup Final or the Championship winning season. I dunno. I honestly have no idea, Rhys McCabe at Airdrie seems to be doing well but I don't follow the Championship closely enough to really go to stump for him.

I'm not totally down on it, I said in the other thread that Adams was manager for some of my best memories of watching County. But by the same token it didn't end well the 2nd time round & I don't just mean on the field. It's not so much that I'm disappointed or can spit off 5 guys I'd have picked before Adams, I genuinely just don't really know how I feel about it, because it was very much out of left-field. Suppose Malky was out of left-field too. There's things for & against it, hopefully George was a big source of the disharmony last time round, hopefully going back does work out, but I don't really think there's any harm in noting the reasons to be cautious. Still looking forward to getting my arse up to Dingwall on Saturday 

3 minutes ago, Terry_Tibbs said:

How did Yann Songo'o and Jordan Slew do last time?

I'll be amazed if he doesn't bring them up the road.

Slew, had everything to be a top quality striker. He was big, strong and fast...pity he was honking in front of goal.

I remember Songo'o being decent?

6 minutes ago, Comrie said:

Slew, had everything to be a top quality striker. He was big, strong and fast...pity he was honking in front of goal.

I remember Songo'o being decent?

Aye, Songo'o was solid to my memory. Slew was not.

I've missed Slew ever since he left. I thought he was just an extra 5% away from clicking and being a 12-15 goal striker. His finishing ranged from very unlucky to rubbish, however. He's been used by Adams at Morecambe as a left-winger in a 4-2-3-1 which tells a story. 

He was signed on loan on 1 January, just in time for the derby in Inverness. County had been toiling for the first half of the season without any presence up front. All of a sudden we had a striker that could occupy two defenders, could play with his back to goal, spin his marker and stretch the pitch. Pity about the finishing. Adams then signed Yoann Arquin which put Slew down the pecking order in that loan spell, but I much preferred Slew. Slew wasn't an affordable option long-term, so I can see why Adams had to plan for not having him.

Songo'o used to be great at pinging low passes into Slew's feet (which was in contrast to the Scott Boyd floaty long ball). There were times when Songo'o looked like a superstar, but he wasn't consistent with it.

Edited by bunglebonce

Just now, kingjoey said:

No idea what the love in for Slew is for. Played 20 games for you and scored 1 goal. And his record elsewhere is very similar. Don't remember him at all, but his one goal was probably against us.

County haven't had a striker who could be a nuisance both with pace and strength since. Again, shame about the goal scoring record, but a diddy team can build a side around those strengths.