The General Ross County Chat Thread

44 minutes ago, forkboy said:

Someone who hasn't punched one of the members of the playing staff in the dressing room? Because punching Higgins really does standout in my memory as much as the Scottish Cup Final or the Championship winning season. I dunno. I honestly have no idea, Rhys McCabe at Airdrie seems to be doing well but I don't follow the Championship closely enough to really go to stump for him.

I'm not totally down on it, I said in the other thread that Adams was manager for some of my best memories of watching County. But by the same token it didn't end well the 2nd time round & I don't just mean on the field. It's not so much that I'm disappointed or can spit off 5 guys I'd have picked before Adams, I genuinely just don't really know how I feel about it, because it was very much out of left-field. Suppose Malky was out of left-field too. There's things for & against it, hopefully George was a big source of the disharmony last time round, hopefully going back does work out, but I don't really think there's any harm in noting the reasons to be cautious. Still looking forward to getting my arse up to Dingwall on Saturday 

Football must be unique in that punching a staff member in front of a number of witnesses results not only in no sacking, but also no disciplinary action.

It is a strange one, over the piece he seems to get results, despite the fact he is a bit of a dick by all accounts.

Hope you get a new manager bounce v Killie but it then falls flat in midweek.

37 minutes ago, bunglebonce said:

I've missed Slew ever since he left. I thought he was just an extra 5% away from clicking and being a 12-15 goal striker. His finishing ranged from very unlucky to rubbish, however. He's been used by Adams at Morecambe as a left-winger in a 4-2-3-1 which tells a story. 

He was signed on loan on 1 January, just in time for the derby in Inverness. County had been toiling for the first half of the season without any presence up front. All of a sudden we had a striker that could occupy two defenders, could play with his back to goal, spin his marker and stretch the pitch. Pity about the finishing. Adams then signed Yoann Arquin which put Slew down the pecking order in that loan spell, but I much preferred Slew. Slew wasn't an affordable option long-term, so I can see why Adams had to plan for not having him.

Songo'o used to be great at pinging low passes into Slew's feet (which was in contrast to the Scott Boyd floaty long ball). There were times when Songo'o looked like a superstar, but he wasn't consistent with it.

Was it Slew or Arquin who didn’t even get a press release when they. Signed, so the first thing anyone knew was the new guy starting up front?

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

No idea what the love in for Slew is for. Played 20 games for you and scored 1 goal. And his record elsewhere is very similar. Don't remember him at all, but his one goal was probably against us.

I signed him on FIFA 13, his pace ripped Scottish teams to pieces and ended up flogging him to Real Madrid for mega money, that's why.

3 hours ago, Hendo said:

Football must be unique in that punching a staff member in front of a number of witnesses results not only in no sacking, but also no disciplinary action.

Unique that the awful behaviour of an individual in a position of power is conveniently brushed under the carpet?

Bless.

3 hours ago, kingjoey said:

No idea what the love in for Slew is for. Played 20 games for you and scored 1 goal. And his record elsewhere is very similar. Don't remember him at all, but his one goal was probably against us.

If I remember correctly the goal he scored was against Partick Thistle on the final day in a 1-0 win

2 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

Unique that the awful behaviour of an individual in a position of power is conveniently brushed under the carpet?

Bless.

I'm pretty sure in most workplaces, if you did that you'd be sacked, and possibly charged by the police.

4 hours ago, bunglebonce said:

Slew. It must have been the first transfer of the window in the UK.

I remember being at that game, in the away end at the dump, and all of us trying to work out who the new guy was. We won 2-1 in the end, and Slew looked a handful. Never quite clicked for him, although he had Curran-esque levels of effort, he never had a corresponding Boyce to take advantage.

Adams back in (which I'm a fan of, by the way), people reminiscing about some of his earlier managerial achievements with us... got me wondering again about a question which this snippet from a recent BBC article made me think about in the past week or so:

Screenshot2023-11-21130502.png.1ffc2f410f9f44311708936d940aaa11.png

I'm not holding my breath, but would anyone here agree that McIntyre was our most successful manager?

Who else would folks consider as contenders for that title, and what would you say are the key factors to base that on?

It'd be between Adams and McIntyre for most successful manager, without a doubt.

Adams

1 challenge cup

1 x third tier title

1 x second tier title

Scottish Cup runner up

McIntyre

1 x league cup

McIntyre won the biggest honour, Adams more. So take your pick.

23 minutes ago, Comrie said:

It'd be between Adams and McIntyre for most successful manager, without a doubt.

Adams

1 challenge cup

1 x third tier title

1 x second tier title

Scottish Cup runner up

McIntyre

1 x league cup

McIntyre won the biggest honour, Adams more. So take your pick.

It’s Adams for me. Yes, McIntyre gave the club its greatest honour and one of the best days of my life. However, to go 35 matches unbeaten and skoosh a league we were definitely not expected to win is unrivalled. To then go into the next season as stonewall favourites to be second bottom and be within touching distance of a European spot is immense. 

20 minutes ago, Matty-RCFC said:

It’s Adams for me. Yes, McIntyre gave the club its greatest honour and one of the best days of my life. However, to go 35 matches unbeaten and skoosh a league we were definitely not expected to win is unrivalled. To then go into the next season as stonewall favourites to be second bottom and be within touching distance of a European spot is immense. 

I think I would in general agree with this. That first division winning team is still probably my favourite County team of all the years I've been watching.

Adams is the more successful by a mile. The club was on it's knees after the shambles of the Smith/Robbo/Leitch era and Adams took the team up from Division 2 far more easily than many alleged 'bigger' clubs have managed to. And then he rebuilt the team again after McStay nearly relegated them.

McIntyre deserves huge credit for the League Cup, but for me he's on the tier below Wilson, Cooper and Adams in terms of his importance to the club.

Hope that this works out this time. I'm not overjoyed with Adams returning to be honest. I'm pleased that Malky has gone, just this appointment took me by suprise and felt a bit rushed. Would have been curious to have seen a full list of managers who were interested in the appointment, interview process, that type of thing.

Roy could even could have got a 'plan B' appointment lined up for future by seeing who was interested this time.

I'm pleased it's a manager with experience, rather than a Don Cowie appointment for example. Not the time for inexperience, not this time for Don anyway. Adams doesn't appear to suffer fools and definately comes across as 'old school' style management. How that will go down with the players these days God knows!!

At the moment, I just fear relegation and I'm not confident at all that County will stay up. Whether Adams can get them playing good, positive football, if County do get relegated at least entertain the fans with good football, effort and that :)

Repeating myself, but this spell of matches will be very interesting to see where on the table County will be sat by Christmas. Each match difficult, but winnable games if you know what I mean.

Kilmarnock (H) 

St. Mirren (H) Tue 28th Nov

Livingston (A) Sat 2nd Dec

Motherwell (H) Tue 5th Dec

St. Mirren (A) Sat 9th Dec

Dundee (H) Sat 16th Dec

Hibs (H) Sat 23rd Dec (Nice having a home match them