Who will be the next permanent manager of the Conservatives?

Ludo*1

Who will be the next head of the Conservative Party?  

190 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Totally infantile nonsense about making the solvent abusing old racist cross a border.

When if I had my way I'd stop him and his violent, hate-filled ilk short of our free, green and pleasant land. Confiscate their vehicles, burn their silly toy soldier cosplay get ups, insert their flutes, burst their drums, tar and feather them then prod them south on the point of a very long and shitty stick.

10 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

The entire movement to partition Britain - the reasoning for a hard border across the Rio Solway - is precursored on Scotch Exceptionalism. 

Scotch is exceptional. Especially single malts.

But Scottish Independence has nothing to do with Scottish Exceptionalism. It's because we're the same as everywhere else and, as such, deserve the right to self determination like everyone else. If anything the majority of Scottish nationalists want to rejoin the EU because we want to part of something bigger and have a more international outlook: just under our own terms.

It's the weird little British Nationalists who think they're exceptional. 

9 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

George Osborne wanted to introduce "market facing pay" because civil servants were overpaid and "crowding out" local businesses outside London. 

Except when they actually did some research they found that civil servants were generally underpaid. 

There's already "London weighting" that applies higher wages to large parts of Surrey (eg Croydon). 

1 hour ago, Fullerene said:

That is one of weakest arguments for the union I can think of.  You can go to the continent and cross international borders all day.  There are even towns in Belgium and the Netherlands where they live side by side.  Yet Belgian law does not apply in the Netherlands and vice versa.

i shee

See the source image

1 hour ago, Fullerene said:

The profile this story is being granted is interesting.

On BBC Radio Scotland this morning, it was the top news story and they had Swinney and Murdo Fraser on for comment.   However, on BBC breakfast news on the TV, it didn't merit a single mention. They did briefly mention the hustings event in Exeter, but only in terms of Mourdant's support, with no reference at all to the Strurgeon remarks from Liz Truss.

In fairness, Sky News gave it considerable attention, but the difference between approaches within the BBC was striking.

2 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Folk seem to have missed the more worrying part of the Truss quote. 

I can think of only two ways to achieve this. 

Tories winning elections in the Scottish Parliament, or abolishing the Scottish Parliament. 

Exactly! There are an admittedly small group of Tory MPs who are campaigning for that very thing. You can see the twisted logic here, Scotland and Wales don’t elect us, so let’s take control of them, along with all their resources. Democracy my friends

Apparently following the Truss ignore comment you could hear some shouting/chanting of "build a wall!"

It's also beaten the grass and tempted quite a few Labour and soft unionist types into defending or at least downplaying it. Lots of "She isn't Scotland!!" floating about on social media. 

Fucking tremendous work by the last Prime Minister of the United Kingdom.  

9 minutes ago, CambieBud said:

Exactly! There are an admittedly small group of Tory MPs who are campaigning for that very thing. You can see the twisted logic here, Scotland and Wales don’t elect us, so let’s take control of them, along with all their resources. Democracy my friends

I can actually see a moment arrive - as the Tories stop even pretending to not be an English Nationalist organisation - when they start saying "sod them, let them go".  

It would dent the imperialist urges some enjoy, but most are really only concerned with England anyway, and it would be electorally beneficial for them.  It wasn't just Truss' remarks that represented quite something last night; it was the enthusiastic reception they received from those in attendance.

7 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Apparently following the Truss ignore comment you could hear some shouting/chanting of "build a wall!"

It's also beaten the grass and tempted quite a few Labour and soft unionist types into defending or at least downplaying it. Lots of "She isn't Scotland!!" floating about on social media. 

UKIP vibes about the entire situation 

Lets be real they claim to be unionist but only when is jocks know our place 

AD3BA203-006C-413B-B077-930D0272AABC.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I can actually see a moment arrive - as the Tories stop even pretending to not be an English Nationalist organisation - when they start saying "sod them, let them go".  

It would dent the imperialist urges some enjoy, but most are really only concerned with England anyway, and it would be electorally beneficial for them.  It wasn't just Truss' remarks that represented quite something last night; it was the enthusiastic reception they received from those in attendance.

Not going to happen, because the Tory party actually represents English chauvinism throughout the UK rather than an exclusively English nationalist mentality. 

11 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

I'm fairly confident they will get shot of her before Independence Day. She's so fucking useless, they may get shot of her before next October

2 minutes ago, virginton said:

Not going to happen, because the Tory party actually represents English chauvinism throughout the UK rather than an exclusively English nationalist mentality. 

I think a shift between the two is in evidence.

I agree that no PM is going to want to be the one that loses Scotland.  However, among the grass roots and some ERG types, I think plenty would lose no sleep over it.  I can see it becoming a more explicit strand of thought in the near future.

1 minute ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I think a shift between the two is in evidence.

I agree that no PM is going to want to be the one that loses Scotland.  However, among the grass roots and some ERG types, I think plenty would lose no sleep over it.  I can see it becoming a more explicit strand of thought in the near future.

They’ve been told for years by the right wing media how Scotland is a financial burden to them 

It’s hardly a surprise if they start believing it

Edited by Clown Job

13 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

UKIP vibes about the entire situation 

Lets be real they claim to be unionist but only when is jocks know our place 

AD3BA203-006C-413B-B077-930D0272AABC.jpeg

Looks like they're just throwing money around Northumbria there.

Are UKIP planning to cede territory? 

17 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

I'm fairly confident they will get shot of her before Independence Day. She's so fucking useless, they may get shot of her before next October

Maybe but that rate of Tory PM attrition would smack of absolute incompetence and besides the frothers and lunatics of the ERG and right wing think they can make her do, or say any imbecilic thing they want. Can't see it personally. 

The Tories periodically go into nutbag extreme right wing territory, at the expense of all else. They did it in the early 2000s when they elected Iain Duncan Smith as leader. He was useless but he was more extreme than Ken Clarke.

It took David Cameron with his hug-a-hoodie, hug-a-huskie, windmill on his house centrist-washing to make them semi-electable again. Now it seems they are drifting out to the fringes since their complete take-over by UKIP. 

As much as all the stuff Truss says will get her to be party leader and PM for now, it surely must be putting voters off left, right and centre. The narrative of this campaign is that Brexit Is Good despite all the evidence even on TV. Scotland Is Rubbish isn't going to win votes here. Magic Tax Cuts to solve the cost of living crisis? All these other "red meat" policies that the lunatics in the party want to hear will surely put off huge chunks of the electorate.