Who will be the next permanent manager of the Conservatives?

Ludo*1

Who will be the next head of the Conservative Party?  

190 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, Stringer Bell said:

Truss isn't the leader Britain needs, but she's certainly the leader Britain deserves.

We're basically getting a laugh cry emoji Facebook post as our PM.

If you're looking for an emoji analogy can I direct you towards these,

🤢😖🤮🤥🤡💩🙍🏻‍♂️🙇🧟

26 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

There's a controversial mechanism for them to revise their votes in that case.  If they've already voted postally, but then choose to do so again online, the initial one is overridden.

As I understand it, that right to change their minds is being removed, resulting in a delay in the papers being issued. The cyber security implications got someone worried. 

(Presumably they were nervous about allowing folk to change their minds after only a week or so, given that they don't appear to think that people should be allowed to change their minds after 8 or 9 years!) 

32 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

There's a controversial mechanism for them to revise their votes in that case.  If they've already voted postally, but then choose to do so again online, the initial one is overridden.

I'm pretty sure they've just canned that due to fears of hacking, so there's every possibility that a deluge of early votes for Truss will result in the UK having the political equivalent of Kerry Katona as Prime Minister.

5 minutes ago, Stringer Bell said:

Truss isn't the leader Britain needs, but she's certainly the leader Britain deserves.

One of the dictionary definitions of a truss is “a surgical appliance used to support a hernia”.  I’m sure there must be some sort of synonym/analogy/metaphor in there.

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

One of the dictionary definitions of a truss is “a surgical appliance used to support a hernia”.  I’m sure there must be some sort of synonym/analogy/metaphor in there.

I'm hoping that somehow this leads to a real life version of the old Rock Star Ate My Hamster headline about "The Prince's Truss".

(it's a video game; ask your kids)

13 minutes ago, Stringer Bell said:

Truss basically combines Johnson’s talentlessness, insincerity, shamelessness, and delusion but lacks the magic ability to fool idiots into thinking she’s a fat, mop-headed Hugh Grant character.

They’re choosing someone who manages not just to be as contemptible as the last leader - and bear in mind Johnson was basically a wig on a prolapse - but to lack what little he offered them.

18 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Truss and Sunak...both in the scud...

If people could stop doing that on this thread, that would great, thanks.

1 hour ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

Where to start with this sound-bite collection? Single-handedly faced down Putin is a good one so is delivering trade deals but "abolish Soviet top down housing targets" is a belter. 

Vote Liz for top banter. 

image.thumb.png.1fa1cdbeaad3b745f70953e2339a2070.png

So many things to point and laugh at in this garbage.

Highlights for me are -

'real crimes', as opposed to 'unreal' ones presumably

'protect single sex spaces for our young women', presumably middle-aged ones and elderly ones can just fucking lump it then Liz?

'reject orthodoxy', yep I agree, there's no better guarantee of order and success than when we chuck the rulebook out of the window and everyone just freeboots and wings it. What we definitely need right now is a healthy great big dose of chaos.

'defend freedom at home and abroad', aye, provided there's no money to be made out of flogging weapons to those determined to get your 'freedom' to f**k.

'stand up for free speech', well how exactly does that square with your government's recent binge of trampling all over basic rights and freedoms?

This is aside from the obvious contradictions, lies, and running theme of declaring your will to fix a broken thing that your own party has had full control of for the past 12 years.

I would say the total lack of self-awareness is astounding, but what's even more astounding is just how badly written and conceived this is. Seems Truss is far from the only idiot in her team.

1 hour ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

As I understand it, that right to change their minds is being removed, resulting in a delay in the papers being issued. The cyber security implications got someone worried. 

(Presumably they were nervous about allowing folk to change their minds after only a week or so, given that they don't appear to think that people should be allowed to change their minds after 8 or 9 years!) 

1 hour ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I'm pretty sure they've just canned that due to fears of hacking, so there's every possibility that a deluge of early votes for Truss will result in the UK having the political equivalent of Kerry Katona as Prime Minister.

Ah, right.  I'd heard there was some IT related delay, so that makes sense.

It’s been pissing me off trying to work out who she reminds me of. Glaikit Celebrity Big Brother reject (known for falling about, tripping over her own feet, and being unable to string a sentence together) Lauren Harries. But Lauren’s politics, if her wacky Twitter is to be believed, are more palatable.

549B5568-85BA-4CDA-A2A3-4DF2AFF23146.jpeg

6D6E13B0-3267-4893-A5C8-BD568C2E7BE9.jpeg

Sounds like Truss will be the face of all the mad shit the erg nutters want to bring in and she is a willing puppet and will do it for the top job 

Which means we are all screwed 

On 02/08/2022 at 10:54, Monkey Tennis said:

I think a shift between the two is in evidence.

I agree that no PM is going to want to be the one that loses Scotland.  However, among the grass roots and some ERG types, I think plenty would lose no sleep over it.  I can see it becoming a more explicit strand of thought in the near future.

Won't be top long before it starts being popular to bust out the rhetoric of getting Scotland to f**k.

On 02/08/2022 at 11:02, coprolite said:

Looks like they're just throwing money around Northumbria there.

Are UKIP planning to cede territory? 

There are some morons who genuinely believe that Hadrian's Wall is the border between Scotland and England.

On 02/08/2022 at 19:57, williemillersmoustache said:

It's the absolutely fucking deafening silence from "the party of devolution" on the subject of whether the UK prime minister should just ignore the First Ministers of devolved nations. 

The half tory turncoat cardboard cut out c***s.

'Half'..

When the fat talking haystack was being binned, I had quite naturally assumed that the Tories would limit the damage by installing a fairly beige, "safe pair of hands" leader, announce a few red meat policies to their idiot voters two months before the next election and win a sizeable majority. 

Hilarious though, they look set to elect a complete fucking idiot. They could only have plumbed greater depth with Nadine Dorries. Truss is a genuinely stupid politician, utterly devoid of both principle and political nous.

IMO the only thing that can prevent the Tories being rinsed at the next election is Labour having a spectacular internal crisis over something completely ridiculous and..... ah shit. 70 seat Tory Majority it'll be then. 

Oh well. 

49 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Sounds like Truss will be the face of all the mad shit the erg nutters want to bring in and she is a willing puppet and will do it for the top job 

Which means we are all screwed 

The ERG is in the minority in the Conservative Parliamentary Party.  If Truss tries to promote their agenda it will lead to even greater rifts.  So all good news.

1 minute ago, Day of the Lords said:

IMO the only thing that can prevent the Tories being rinsed at the next election is Labour having a spectacular internal crisis over something completely ridiculous and..... ah shit. 70 seat Tory Majority it'll be then. 

Oh well. 

I actually think that for once Labour will keep it relatively sane and anodyne. The reason for my belief is the fact that they've spent most of the past couple of years doing nothing whatsoever and taking a completely ambiguous line on most things. I think this is actually a concerted and deliberate plan to appear to be as nondescript as possible and stand by while the Tories dig themselves into a hole of their own making. 

Why I am still concerned it will fail though, is no matter how poorly the Tories are performing, and what state the UK is in as a result, the Tories still have the media on their side and will not hesitate to resort to lowest common denominator culture war pish. Given that they will not be able to make a cogent argument for Tory governance based on performance, I think they will fall back to a dead cat approach of battering home some sort of asinine attack on Labour. The obvious approach is 'we will protect women and girls, Starmer/Labour won't even define what a woman is'. This will just be repeated incessantly with the Tory-friendly press amplifying it. 

Labour will be undone by an entirely Tory-manufactured 'crisis' rather than an internal one.

A YouGov poll for The Times asked who they thought would make the better PM. Results show Truss on 58% to Sunak's 29%. 

The best bit, though, is when Johnson's name is added. He gets 40%, Truss 28%, Sunak 23%.

So the bloke turfed out for lying, being an erse, etc. and not running is trouncing the other two. What a farce.

Liz for Lolz.