First Among Equals: EOSL First Division 2022-23

On 04/01/2023 at 13:49, RedLichty said:

When does the transfer window shut at this level?  I wonder if we will see some late business between now and (I think) March that throws a cat among the pigeons. 

Who knows about transfer windows and pigeons and cats,  who cares. Another great result and performance from Dunbar , but on to the next game, still much to do but  credit to everyone attached to the club,well deserved. 

57 minutes ago, imho said:

Who knows about transfer windows and pigeons and cats,  who cares. Another great result and performance from Dunbar , but on to the next game, still much to do but  credit to everyone attached to the club,well deserved. 

Apparently is it true and a couple posters disappeared on here for stating a wee while ago but is the budget yer on way beyond the 1st division ?

Fair play if it is as every team should be aiming as high as possible within the pyramid. 

Great set up doon there by the way,always a good day out.. 👏

12 minutes ago, newcastle broon said:

Apparently is it true and a couple posters disappeared on here for stating a wee while ago but is the budget yer on way beyond the 1st division ?

Fair play if it is as every team should be aiming as high as possible within the pyramid. 

I think the facts are that that the club has a far bigger average gate than everyone else in the first division, so you would expect that comes with its own benefits in terms of budgets.  Only a few Premier League clubs are ahead of Dunbar on average gates these days - it’s a credit to how far they have come in recent years.

12 hours ago, newcastle broon said:

I’d be taking what many clubs say regarding budget with a large pinch of salt.

The historical facts are that very many clubs were in receipt of SFA payouts for many years and that’s all published data’s. Whether that money was used squarely or not would perhaps be a pertinent question of a few clubs. 
Source and application of funding is what it’s all about. 
I’m no aware of too many clubs making their business very public - it’s mostly smoke and mirrors. 
But there’s a few who are now changing their legal setup and do have to comply with various reports and returns.
I don’t think there’s such a thing as a straight answer - everything is relevant to circumstances.
Maybe higher crowds do lead to great income streams. 

17 hours ago, Man from the East said:

Source and application of funding is what it’s all about. 

Indeed,when you've had to source a very large amount of funding from your own pockets to get floodlights just to keep a licence certainly affects what you can do on the park. 

8 hours ago, newcastle broon said:

Indeed,when you've had to source a very large amount of funding from your own pockets to get floodlights just to keep a licence certainly affects what you can do on the park. 

Good things are never easy Bud, but they’re worth it. 
Sometimes we don’t get the rewards we are due, sometimes we get lucky.

Having a bit of luck is invaluable. 

On 09/01/2023 at 08:39, newcastle broon said:

Why such importance on clubs to have floodlights given the amount of real games played under them. As you say some clubs had to try and raise money where others managed to source grants etc. A bit like years ago when the SFA said that clubs should be 10000 all seaters in the Premier league and only maybe half can get near that figure. If lights are so important  arrange more midweek fixtures

22 hours ago, imho said:

Why such importance on clubs to have floodlights given the amount of real games played under them. As you say some clubs had to try and raise money where others managed to source grants etc. A bit like years ago when the SFA said that clubs should be 10000 all seaters in the Premier league and only maybe half can get near that figure. If lights are so important  arrange more midweek fixtures

The simple answer is; no floodlights = no licence

2 hours ago, Man from the East said:

The simple answer is; no floodlights = no licence

Which could equate to we have floodlights = no money but at least we have a licence.

Edited by imho

15 minutes ago, imho said:

Which could equate to we have floodlights but not a penny in the bank. Another thing to throw in,how come the likes of Auchinleck ,Pollok etc,can still play in the junior Cup and the Scottish Cup.

Because the SJFA changed the rules after the WOS clubs left so they could retain membership and continue to play in the Junior Cup (Dunbar etc can now also rejoin the SJFA and take part if they want).

3 hours ago, imho said:

Which could equate to we have floodlights = no money but at least we have a licence.

Floodlights do equal money.

Licensed clubs receive a four figure annual payment from the SFA and entry to the Scottish Cup where winning your preliminary tie is worth £5k.

Lights should be paid off in four or five years.

6 hours ago, patriot1 said:

Floodlights do equal money.

Licensed clubs receive a four figure annual payment from the SFA and entry to the Scottish Cup where winning your preliminary tie is worth £5k.

Lights should be paid off in four or five years.

Yes or very much sooner.

I recall only very recently but pre-covid when there was money sloshing around the various councils that Coldstream and VoL  received a huge percentage of the installation cost from SBC. Similarly Preston, Haddington and  Musselburgh were reported in the press to have received ELC funding to install floodlights. I don’t know for certain how much but the term ‘substantial amount’ applies. 

Well done to these clubs for having the foresight to to press ahead and get the works done and funded by others. 
I’m very happy to stand corrected if my understanding of the above funding is incorrect. 

As you quote Patriot1, there seems to be a participation payment for competing in the Scottish Cup. I think you may have over quoted a fair bit percentage wise on the Prelim money. I don’t think it’s anywhere near the £5K mark, but that number or greater is attainable for winning more than two rounds of the national competition. 
Competition purse share out is one part of SFA funding but not the sole one.

And yes there are annual payments that are also made, although not really circumstance changing at the tier 5/6/7 level, but very welcome none the less. The stronger the national team is has a direct effect on this funding. At National level, having a Scotland team that achieves more wins, bigger gates, longer runs in competitions and greater sponsorship deals means that more money filters down through all levels. Therefore it’s very apparent we need a strong and developing national team. Which paradoxically can only come from more grass roots development of the game. 

And let’s be frank, if during a reasonable Scottish Cup draw a home club in tier 5/6/7  does not manage to raise the crowd attendance and generate income opportunities for itself then when will they ever be smart enough to earn a few quid. You’ve got to take the opportunity when it comes around. If sit waiting on it, it seldom happens.

The clichè - if you always do as you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve alway got’ applies. 
Times change, opportunities are there to be maximised. 
Good luck to everyone - I hope you’re all successful.

I think what I’m really saying is, don’t sit on your arse waiting for handouts, but go out and make it happen yourself, however it’s smart to know where you’re likely to get the answer you want.  

• 3 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, newcastle broon said:

Kinnoull v WW teams are on the park ready t kick off and ref calls game off. Unbelievable scenes get these referees t fcuk man!! 

What was wrong with it? 

Rain or frost? Didn't think it was the worst park tbh, has its moments 

2 hours ago, Spyro said:

What was wrong with it? 

Rain or frost? Didn't think it was the worst park tbh, has its moments 

Passed inspection this morning..

About 3 yards touchline frost kick off time,surely would've been picked up this morning. 

Utter nonsense ref looked about 12 yr old and bottled it. 

Edited by newcastle broon

3 hours ago, newcastle broon said:

Passed inspection this morning..

About 3 yards touchline frost kick off time,surely would've been picked up this morning. 

Utter nonsense ref looked about 12 yr old and bottled it. 

They get paid for showing up though... I'm sure the members would've had it sorted if he had spoken up sooner