2022–23 Highland League Chat

RossBFaeDundee

21 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Aye, right, the P&J's taking the word of the fucking Daily Mail now?

So a six club playoff to get the right to a playoff against club 42, instead of a 2 club one as it is now, and this after somehow getting from a Highland League demoted to tier 6, back to a Conference of B-teams occupying tier 5? Aye, I'm sure all the clubs will be voting for that.:lol:

Most of the SPFL clubs are chomping at the bit to get it in place as soon as next season I am hearing . 😡

22 hours ago, CALDERON said:

On the theme of out of place Highland League vehicles, there's a Buckie Thistle mini bus that sits in a car park just down from my house.

I'm told Buckie currently have two mini buses, one to transport their Aberdeen based players, and the other for Inverness. 

There's a Buckie Thistle minibus that lives near me.  I know it's Lewis MacKinnon who drives it and he picks the other Inverness based players up in it.

EXCLUSIVE: Highland League views on proposed Conference League – as club director says it’s made him question his involvement The Press and Journal spoke to a Highland League club director, a member of a management team and a player about the plans for a new fifth tier in Scottish football.

I seriously hope others in the Highland League have more balls than this unnamed director and tell Ian Maxwell unambiguously where to shove his "Conference" at the SFA AGM. 

Edited by welshbairn

Posted this in the wrong thread..

f**k you Brora. Heard they were getting a bit ambitious after all the unfortunately timed stag dos last time, but this is beyond the pale. They can start poaching players from Stenhousemuir now instead of Clach, given they have zero youth development at home. What a bunch of fucking zeros. 

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/highland-league/5686978/exclusive-highland-league-stalwart-sets-out-conference-case/

They're just a wee village who would be somewhere between the bottom of the HL and the NCL if it wasn't for 1 man's wallet.

Wasn't that long ago they were crying about having to play a playoff for promotion because they didn't fancy the extra travelling 

4 minutes ago, CRS111 said:

Is there a simple summary of current situation for someone getting promoted into HL for next season? 

It's not happening because none of the tier 6 champions are licensed. If they were, they would play off against each other and the winner would play off against the bottom Highland League team.

Talking of bullet dodging Strathspey Thistle! Saw them within a whisker of beating Clach a few weeks ago, huge improvement after poaching the Alness manager, who coincidently took a bit of a dive in form after he left. I'd be worried if I was a Vale or Lossie fan about replacing the Grantown Jags in the demotion spot next season. :P

https://www.strathspey-herald.co.uk/sport/the-hard-work-starts-now-maccormacks-jags-aim-for-highe-311557/ 

It's a shame in a way, that if there are no licensed Sixth tier Highland region champions at all they don't allow any second place licenced teams to play-off, and possibly if there are no licensed second placed teams any third placed teams (I definitely wouldn't go any further down the leagues though).

At the end of the day, if they're not good enough, they'd be beaten in the play-off by the bottom side in the Highland league.

There's the potential at the moment of teams with little intention of getting a license in the near future, for whatever reason, and maybe being able to invest a little more money into their playing squad than licenced teams, of blocking licensed teams who are trying to progress. Whilst also giving a lifeline constantly to a really poor side in the Highland league. 

Edited by stulch

That could have seen Fort William come straight back up from finishing 3rd and 17 points behind the Champions, not sure if I approve! Incidentally the North Juniors have no licensed clubs at all, and with the SFA putting a pause on license applications it looks like there won't be any next year either.

P.S. Strathspey would have likely spanked them though, after their recent improvement.

Edited by welshbairn

11 minutes ago, stulch said:

It's a shame in a way, that if there are no licensed Sixth tier Highland region champions at all they don't allow any second place licenced teams to play-off, and possibly if there are no licensed second placed teams any third placed teams (I definitely wouldn't go any further down the leagues though).

I mean there's only been one licensed T6 champion this year. While the Highland and Lowland have 3 feeders and 1 promotion spot, I don't agree with the notion of next best gets a leg up. Next year hopefully it will be busier.

11 minutes ago, stulch said:

There's the potential at the moment of teams with little intention of getting a license in the near future, for whatever reason, and maybe being able to invest a little more money into their playing squad than licenced teams, of blocking licensed teams who are trying to progress.

Right now there's a freeze on new licensing applicants. As a review is ongoing that will likely raise standards. Just like the last time it happened with the introduction of floodlights. Clubs are working on it. It's slow going though.