2022 Commonwealth Games - Birmingham

The Naitch

Crap news this, I worked with a few athletes that went to Birmingham and Gold Coast, and it's massive for them in keeping their funding for training and going to competitions, and a few went on to compete at Tokyo and are likely to be heading to Paris.

Really hope someone can come in.

The fault is completely on the Australians, why they insisted on keeping all the venues outside Melbourne was mental. Events like track cycling should have been held in Melbourne, where there was existing infrastructure, instead they were going to build a temporary velodrome in Bendigo.

Would really love to see Cardiff host it - they certainly could do it, and there was chat of them going for 2030.

Edited by Ray Patterson

7 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Does Millennium Stadium have a retractable running track like West Ham?

I don't think so, but I think they certainly could make it work. Might have to be done a la Hampden.

They've got an International Pool and Hockey Venues in Cardiff Bay, Velodrome in Newport and Sophia Gardens for Cricket.

I can't see how they install a running track before 2026 and knock it down again in time for Euro 2028. A few posts on a Villa forum I inhabit suggested your stadium has to be ready by the start of 2026/27 or you don't get to host in 2028. Also I think they have Taylor Swift and possibly others next year.

Seems like Birmingham and London are the only ready-made venues in the UK with running tracks big enough to host. We have the European Championships athletics that year but could maybe swap around with Poland (Silesia) 2028?

I reckon London is the most likely for the athletics anyway, assuming it goes ahead. Be good if they spread the other events around, and I like Cardiff.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

7 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

I can't see how they install a running track before 2026 and knock it down again in time for Euro 2028. 

Certainly didn't take Hampden 2 years to go from running track to no running track. Both the athletics at the 2014 games and the 2015 Scottish Cup Final happened at Hampden. 

If UK ends up hosting 2026, as seems increasingly likely, would be good to see sports shared around cities that don't normally get a shot of hosting international events like this- maybe gymnastics at the P&J Arena?

Edited by sparky88

20 minutes ago, sparky88 said:

Certainly didn't take Hampden 2 years to go from running track to no running track.

Hampden was out of football action from November 2014 for a full year.

For Cardiff to repeat that might mean shifting Welsh rugby internationals to London again. Would that go down well?

Millennium Stadium is square... don't see how they could even work that.

Anyway our First Minister has done a bit of grandstanding hedged in caveats and claims we may step in. Given we don't have an athletics stadium - plus Hampden is now bidding for UEFA finals in 2026 & 2027 - and public finances are shot, this surely isn't happening:

Humza Yousaf to 'explore' Scotland Commonwealth Games bid - BBC News

Equally if we're not hosting athletics I don't really see where we fit in... e.g. any nation with an athletic stadiums will have a track and a pool.

Apparently every state in Australia has ruled themself out. Canada and NZ weren't interested before. Birmingham taken European athletics. That leaves London or 'left-field wildcard' only IMO.

EDIT: only other athletics stadium of note in UK is Gateshead and you could potentially throw up some temporary seating behind the bends as did at Birmingham. Newcastle also has St James Park, Kingston Park, several indoor arenas, cricket at Chester-le-Street but no large pool AFAICS.

Edited by HibeeJibee

If it wasn't for Athletics(!) there's probably enough venues around Scotland to accommodate a games. Or at the very least, enough places where you could rig up some temporary stands etc.

Glasgow (SEC) and Aberdeen (P&J Live) could take on most or all of the indoor sports. Glasgow would also need to have track cycling, for obvious reasons.

Aquatics - Edinburgh. 

Rugby Sevens - Murrayfield. Opening ceremony as well, maybe?

Hockey at a football ground (one with a 3G pitch, making it easier/less damaging to put down a temporary hockey surface?).

Shooting - Barry Buddon.

Cricket - The Grange.

Road Cycling can be anywhere. Same with Triathlon, albeit needing a decent expanse of open water.

Golf - pick a course, any course.

Lawn Bowls - temporary venue in a park somewhere.

Beach Volleyball - again, a temporary venue in a park or - hear me out - on a beach somewhere.

Mountain Biking - Cathkin Braes.

BMX - ?? (not sure what the requirements are here. Could something temporary be thrown up, again in a park?)

So Athletics is the elephant in the room. Meadowbank might have been possible a few years ago, with copious amounts of temporary seating, but the redevelopment has put paid to that. So an adapted Hampden would be the only option - and really isn't an option because of Euro 2028 and bids for UEFA finals. 

Edited by The Master

36 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

12eb20b5-aa65-4b50-9e5a-53df70d16721_tex 

Edit: I realise that's the wrong way round, but the sentiment is the same :lol:

Edited by The Master

29 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Anyway our First Minister has done a bit of grandstanding hedged in caveats and claims we may step in. Given we don't have an athletics stadium - plus Hampden is now bidding for UEFA finals in 2026 & 2027 - and public finances are shot, this surely isn't happening:

Humza Yousaf to 'explore' Scotland Commonwealth Games bid - BBC News

Equally if we're not hosting athletics I don't really see where we fit in... e.g. any nation with an athletic stadiums will have a track and a pool.

Apparently every state in Australia has ruled themself out. Canada and NZ weren't interested before. Birmingham taken European athletics. That leaves London or 'left-field wildcard' only IMO.

EDIT: only other athletics stadium of note in UK is Gateshead and you could potentially throw up some temporary seating behind the bends as did at Birmingham. Newcastle also has St James Park, Kingston Park, several indoor arenas, cricket at Chester-le-Street but no large pool AFAICS.

Tyne and Wear hosting with Aquatics at the Commonwealth pool is the most sensible suggestion I've heard.

22 minutes ago, The Master said:

BMX - ?? (not sure what the requirements are here. Could something temporary be thrown up, again in a park?)

Glasgow BMX Centre — Glasgow Life

As you say we've got most facilities having hosted CG in 2014 and European Championship in 2018 (which included rowing at Motherwell).

Trouble is athletics = biggest attraction.

Edited by HibeeJibee

1 hour ago, The Master said:

Hockey at a football ground (one with a 3G pitch, making it easier/less damaging to put down a temporary hockey surface?).

Or they could just put the temporary stands up at the National Hockey Centre at Glasgow Green like they did in 2014.

If they did want a football size crowd, there have been various test events of putting temporary pitches on existing surfaces, including on the grass rugby pitch at the Stoop

Humza Yousaf talking about stepping in is utter nonsense. We can talk about the potential venues for this and that, but as a country we’re broke, whispers of Glasgow, a city with child poverty, massive cuts to addiction services and social services pending but we’ll spunk money on the commonwealth games? Aye right. 
2014 behind the scenes was a complete shambles. The only reason the costs were kept down as significantly as they were was that the Police were roped in to do much of the logistical planning and security (ie around the athletes village etc where in other countries it was private security companies), the snp has defunded the police in Scotland to record low levels so its just physically impossible to even ‘part host’ the games. Scotland can’t afford to host the euros either. 

Scotstoun with Temporary Stands, maybe?

Facilities is one thing but the cost of organising will be a lot.

Even the Cycling Worlds are costing £50m and they probably have a bigger ROI in terms of Global Reach (more athletes too), and all they needed built was some new trails in Glentress.

You'd be looking at least £300m for the Commies and that's excluding Athletics

I do like the idea of spreading it about Scotland though, rather than just Glasgow.

10 hours ago, The Master said:

Beach volleyball - again, a temporary venue in a park or - hear me out - on a beach somewhere.

The Commonwealth Games European Qualifiers for 2022 were actually held on Portobello Beach. They had stands up and everything. 

10 hours ago, Autistisches Nilpferd said:

Tyne and Wear hosting with Aquatics at the Commonwealth pool is the most sensible suggestion I've heard.

They'd need to build a velodrome pretty quick too. Or not include cycling on the programme. Or farm out to Manchester/Glasgow/London.