Seriously? "Warm Banks"?

We thought things were getting bad when this country had to have food banks. Coming soon to a place near you... "warm banks". 

Yes in this advanced economy, what is it - the fifth of sixth wealthiest countries in the world... publicly funded warm buildings for folk to sit in in cold weather. 

Being discussed on LBC now and apparently Martin Lewis spoke on it recently. 

FFS. 

2 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

We thought things were getting bad when this country had to have food banks. Coming soon to a place near you... "warm banks". 

Yes in this advanced economy, what is it - the fifth of sixth wealthiest countries in the world... publicly funded warm buildings for folk to sit in in cold weather. 

Being discussed on LBC now and apparently Martin Lewis spoke on it recently. 

FFS. 

Can’t wait to see the complete thicko Truss announcing at a hustings that she’s proud to announce the opening of a new “warm bank” in (insert name of hustings venue) & this demonstrates how much levelling up is working! 

I wonder which Conservative politician will be the first to let slip that people on low incomes can go into work on their days off for a heat, and a cold house will encourage people on benefits to go out and get a job.

Dorries is certainly careless enough to speak the unspoken.

13 minutes ago, ParsJake said:

Pure fucking evil. You have to be an especially psychopathic c**t to think that one up.

Not sure what you mean? Surely it’s a good thing that people / organisations are thinking about setting these up? 

The fact that they absolutely should never be necessary in a modern, rich, developed country is another thing altogether & is just another symptom of 12 years of Tory rule. What makes it particularly galling is that energy company after energy company are announcing record profits! 

37 minutes ago, Brother Blades said:

Not sure what you mean? Surely it’s a good thing that people / organisations are thinking about setting these up? 

The fact that they absolutely should never be necessary in a modern, rich, developed country is another thing altogether & is just another symptom of 12 years of Tory rule. What makes it particularly galling is that energy company after energy company are announcing record profits! 

They have these in Chicago. Usually it's something like keeping the local library or community centres open after hours and saying everyone's welcome. They do the opposite in summer and have them as cooling stations if the temperature gets past a certain level - 32C or thereabouts. That one could actually be a practical idea if UK summer temps keep going as high as this year, given how few houses in Blighty have air con. 

I concur wholeheartedly with the second bit, although I guess for America it's many more years of ghettoizing poor people. 

18 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

They have these in Chicago. Usually it's something like keeping the local library or community centres open after hours and saying everyone's welcome. They do the opposite in summer and have them as cooling stations if the temperature gets past a certain level - 32C or thereabouts. That one could actually be a practical idea if UK summer temps keep going as high as this year, given how few houses in Blighty have air con. 

I concur wholeheartedly with the second bit, although I guess for America it's many more years of ghettoizing poor people. 

Too hot, too cold, hungry, not hungry. I can't keep up with the poor these days.

1 hour ago, Brother Blades said:

Aye, that's what I was trying to point out, how seriously fucked-up this world and its priorities are when ideas like this are being raised.

You've said it better than I did.

👍

I've actually been thinking that spending longer in the gym or going for a pint during the week to watch the football will be cheaper than being in the house. 
A friend of my daughter has a cinema pass from Odeon and plans to use it more in winter. A recliner seat in a heated cinema instead of freezing her arse off at home - £14.99 a month and unlimited films.

2 hours ago, BFTD said:

I wonder which Conservative politician will be the first to let slip that people on low incomes can go into work on their days off for a heat, and a cold house will encourage people on benefits to go out and get a job.

Dorries is certainly careless enough to speak the unspoken.

Big Tory Alec here might have to join them. God knows how he’s going to cope.

Edited by Melanius Mullarkay