Penicuik Athletic 2022-2023

On 13/07/2023 at 20:36, EH2000 said:

You're the Whitehill chairman you should be even more embarrassed 🤣🤣🤣 

Talking of embarrassments have Penicuik ever lost 9 0 before in their history ? 

15 goals conceded in 2 games isn't good reading either. 

What is going on ?

Edited by newcastle broon

I think it’s worrying that it’s just accepted that expectations are a lot lower? 
I also think that some of the players that wanted away after McLiesh and Elliot left will defo be back to haunt us both Hendrys, Watt, Page, Chinwalu, MacDonald, Cairns, Combe. Maybe if this new found tolerance we seem to have had been given to that team then we’d be in a better position than the dross we’re seeing brought in lately will take us to.Don’t think Coult has the experienceor maturity to get us out of this despite his confidence and the commitees confidence in him. Saturdays result won’t be the last like that.

1 hour ago, El Paso said:

I think it’s worrying that it’s just accepted that expectations are a lot lower? 
I also think that some of the players that wanted away after McLiesh and Elliot left will defo be back to haunt us both Hendrys, Watt, Page, Chinwalu, MacDonald, Cairns, Combe. Maybe if this new found tolerance we seem to have had been given to that team then we’d be in a better position than the dross we’re seeing brought in lately will take us to.Don’t think Coult has the experienceor maturity to get us out of this despite his confidence and the commitees confidence in him. Saturdays result won’t be the last like that.

Time will tell if the Penicuik Ath committee was correct in bringing Lewis Coult in as manager. Given the two most previous appointments (both ending quicker than the next), I do wonder what the criteria was in picking Louis as the new manager. His time at Edinburgh Utd does not appear to be a success (?), so what changes this time around? I can only wish him all the best.

9 hours ago, Casey Jones said:

Time will tell if the Penicuik Ath committee was correct in bringing Lewis Coult in as manager. Given the two most previous appointments (both ending quicker than the next), I do wonder what the criteria was in picking Louis as the new manager. His time at Edinburgh Utd does not appear to be a success (?), so what changes this time around? I can only wish him all the best.

think a main part of the criteria might have been someone who actually wanted to be there considering the previous two appointments.

• 3 weeks later...
On 14/08/2023 at 20:33, El Paso said:

I’ll say the same again. We have signed players who can’t cope at this level. 
I’m frustrated that most of the Cuikie support seem to just be taking this. We expected to get a result every match during the last couple o seasons and we made it known we were no happy when we didn’t but now it’s like we just happy to settle with “they tried” “it’ll be up and down”. 
players not good enough, manager not good enough. 

2 hours ago, El Paso said:

I’ll say the same again. We have signed players who can’t cope at this level. 
I’m frustrated that most of the Cuikie support seem to just be taking this. We expected to get a result every match during the last couple o seasons and we made it known we were no happy when we didn’t but now it’s like we just happy to settle with “they tried” “it’ll be up and down”. 
players not good enough, manager not good enough. 

Agreed and if you have read the programme notes it sounds like we are not entitled to an opinion they say they know where we are going hopefully in a different direction that I believe we are

At the agm it was explained where we are as a club this year. Wage bill needed to be trimmed and so we’ve signed players that were available and within our budget. This might mean the players we have this year aren’t necessarily at the same league challenging level we’ve been used to in recent years. Couple this with the fact that there are a couple of clubs fortunate enough to be paying super high wages so the players we might have wanted to keep or bring in were made considerably better offers elsewhere. I’d obviously prefer to be higher up the league and conceding less goals, but hopefully we can win enough games to stay out of trouble. 

I don't think that we are ever going to be in trouble, but that's not what we all want or expect deep down. The manager merry go round of 2023 has set us back big time and its a team in transition. Yesterday we shot ourselves in both feet and both knees in the first 15 min and after that it was game over. Your No1 is missing doesn't help either. Not seen the red card replay but surely that was double jeopardy?

You can see that quality in some of the boys brought in lately unfortunately the settling that would be done through Pre-Season is being done in the League. 

10 hours ago, Dicko23 said:

I don't think that we are ever going to be in trouble, but that's not what we all want or expect deep down. The manager merry go round of 2023 has set us back big time and its a team in transition. Yesterday we shot ourselves in both feet and both knees in the first 15 min and after that it was game over. Your No1 is missing doesn't help either. Not seen the red card replay but surely that was double jeopardy?

You can see that quality in some of the boys brought in lately unfortunately the settling that would be done through Pre-Season is being done in the League. 

Fair enough about the settling in but I don’t see any quality in the latest signings other than Taylor McKenxie.  

13 hours ago, El Paso said:

Fair enough about the settling in but I don’t see any quality in the latest signings other than Taylor McKenxie.  

Wardlaw has stepped up to the Premier Divison well.

Coogans and Gray have it but need games and the laddie Hall that came on Saturady will be good operator when up to speed.

On 10/09/2023 at 06:22, norwichbobby said:

At the agm it was explained where we are as a club this year. Wage bill needed to be trimmed and so we’ve signed players that were available and within our budget. This might mean the players we have this year aren’t necessarily at the same league challenging level we’ve been used to in recent years. Couple this with the fact that there are a couple of clubs fortunate enough to be paying super high wages so the players we might have wanted to keep or bring in were made considerably better offers elsewhere. I’d obviously prefer to be higher up the league and conceding less goals, but hopefully we can win enough games to stay out of trouble. 

Do you see this as being a one year dip or have we to lower our expectations for longer

My understanding is that there are a couple of clubs in the league who are benefiting from outside investment. They can attract the better players and all being well will end up at the top end of the league.  We’ve been able to compete wage wise in recent years based on sponsorship, attendance money and so on, but not having another source of income will mean we will fall behind these clubs.  Couple that with the fact that we’ve had to spend heavily to meet the demands of the Covid years and licensing requirements means we’re now in the middle of the pack in terms of what we can offer and I’d expect our league position to match that.   Add in the management turmoil which has set back this seasons plans and we’re only now getting a squad together which ideally should have been done weeks ago.  We are where we are.   On the plus side I believe Pollok are bringing several hundred fans through this weekend so we look forward to a grand day out and a boost to the coffers! 

On 17/09/2023 at 20:49, norwichbobby said:

My understanding is that there are a couple of clubs in the league who are benefiting from outside investment. They can attract the better players and all being well will end up at the top end of the league.  We’ve been able to compete wage wise in recent years based on sponsorship, attendance money and so on, but not having another source of income will mean we will fall behind these clubs.  Couple that with the fact that we’ve had to spend heavily to meet the demands of the Covid years and licensing requirements means we’re now in the middle of the pack in terms of what we can offer and I’d expect our league position to match that.   Add in the management turmoil which has set back this seasons plans and we’re only now getting a squad together which ideally should have been done weeks ago.  We are where we are.   On the plus side I believe Pollok are bringing several hundred fans through this weekend so we look forward to a grand day out and a boost to the coffers! 

Unless we stop losing goals at the rate we are then I think a middle of the pack league position is unlikely unfortunately.

accept the point about the turmoil but sadly the squad is well short - get what you pay for I suppose

Heres hoping for a bounce back against inverkiething next week 

2 hours ago, El Paso said:

Unless we stop losing goals at the rate we are then I think a middle of the pack league position is unlikely unfortunately.

accept the point about the turmoil but sadly the squad is well short - get what you pay for I suppose

Heres hoping for a bounce back against inverkiething next week 

Massive game next week if we lose I reckon we will be in big trouble