Greenock Morten vs Dundee FC - 20/08/2022

We were probably the better team there but can't actually argue that translated into deserving to win. Two teams who really created no good chances outwith defensive errors.

It's a point I'd have bit your hand off for at half 2 but after watching the game, we're only an average Championship centre forward away from winning that game 2-0. Quitongo and Muirhead wide of a competent footballer would be levels above the two of them interchanging at centre forward with Kabia wide.

2 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

We were probably the better team there but can't actually argue that translated into deserving to win. Two teams who really created no good chances outwith defensive errors.

It's a point I'd have bit your hand off for at half 2 but after watching the game, we're only an average Championship centre forward away from winning that game 2-0. Quitongo and Muirhead wide of a competent footballer would be levels above the two of them interchanging at centre forward with Kabia wide.

Emm........drop Muirhead and I'll go with yer flow Dunning.

5 hours ago, Liam899 said:

Fair point. 
I disagree though with the latter. From what I’ve seen of the league so far, Thistle, Queens Park, and ourselves (this game aside) all have different styles to Morton.  All will go direct at various times when needed but that seems to be Morton’s main style from what I can see and what others have said. 

It depends what you mean by 'direct'. If it involves trying to turn the opposition's defence at the first opportunity then I'm all for it. In that situation, Quitongo offers far more genuine threat and excitement when he gets on the ball than any Morton forward for years - arguably, since he left first time round. Unfortunately his final ball is pish which is why we don't convert much from promising situations, but we would be far, far worse for recreating the same tippy-tappy, sideways pish endured under Gus 'slaphead' McPherson this time last year. 

There were also a fair few punts up the park but that wasn't actually a tactic. Scottish Championship defenders just  clear their lines under pressure and that's fine. 

52 minutes ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

I’m offshore so couldn’t watch the game, but did hear a match report from Stuart Kettlewell. He said Morton were the better team, created the most chances and that Crawford was outstanding.

Do you and Stuart share a room offshore.......jist askin....bring us back some rock.....or a programme.....cos we aint got any here!!!

7 minutes ago, virginton said:

It depends what you mean by 'direct'. If it involves trying to turn the opposition's defence at the first opportunity then I'm all for it. In that situation, Quitongo offers far more genuine threat and excitement when he gets on the ball than any Morton forward for years - arguably, since he left first time round. Unfortunately his final ball is pish which is why we don't convert much from promising situations, but we would be far, far worse for recreating the same tippy-tappy, sideways pish endured under Gus 'slaphead' McPherson this time last year. 

There were also a fair few punts up the park but that wasn't actually a tactic. Scottish Championship defenders just  clear their lines under pressure and that's fine. 

VT........... stop it. we need your vitriol.Find it.

7 hours ago, virginton said:

Muirhead doesn't score anywhere near enough goals to get that leeway. While Blues wouldn't be in the top 3 of issues - and we did play quite well today - he's not actually doing much off the ball in my view. The Crawford replacement for Lyon shows what could happen if we actually got another real Championship midfielder in place of Blues.

Thought Crawford played very well and will be a good addition.  May even give lyon a kick up the arse. Re Blues I watched him today for spells and he does a lot of work off the ball although not as influential as Crawford or Gillespie. 

12 hours ago, Liam899 said:

You hoofed consistently throughout the game, unless I was watching another match? It was absolutely dreadful to watch.  I thought you were more effective than us though. I agree re us not having an identifiable style of play in this game. We were piss poor. 

You must have been watching another game as we certainly did not hoof consistently.  At times we cleared our lines yes which is expected of any defender. 

I'd say we were well drilled yesterday and played some good football. I was a little concerned that in the last 10 we tired but Dundee didn't take advantage. 

17 hours ago, Liam899 said:

You hoofed consistently throughout the game, unless I was watching another match? It was absolutely dreadful to watch.  I thought you were more effective than us though. I agree re us not having an identifiable style of play in this game. We were piss poor. 

I thought we were better than last week and played the ball more from the middle.

The game stats are shocking though.

Dundee 2 shots none on target, hitting bar doesn't count. Can't remember a game where the opposition have failed to get a shot on target against us but I have only been to just over 1200 games.

Morton only managed 3 shots all on target!!!!

Can't wait to go to Dens for our next exciting match up. 

11 hours ago, TONTROOPER said:

Not the bit I meant to quote.........."so youre having a go at Quitongo?",,,,,,,As I live and breathe,,,,,,,,

I've worded that badly, Quitongo was very good. It was a dig at Kabia's performance and Quitongo having to carry the front three creatively, rather than having others in the front three also contributing as much as him which could actually turn us into a real attacking threat.

I'm frankly impressed that DeeTV managed to find nearly 4 minutes worth of "highlights", most of which would never have got close to last week's highlight video. Also, those stats from the BBC are rubbish (shocker), we definitely managed at least one shot on target, regardless of how unthreatening it was.

1 hour ago, Paisley Ton said:

I thought we were better than last week and played the ball more from the middle.

The game stats are shocking though.

Dundee 2 shots none on target, hitting bar doesn't count. Can't remember a game where the opposition have failed to get a shot on target against us but I have only been to just over 1200 games.

Morton only managed 3 shots all on target!!!!

Can't wait to go to Dens for our next exciting match up. 

It's certainly not much better but Mulligan hit a volley that Schwake made look much easier than it was by smothering it well.

The BBC stats are generally just made up for some strange reason.

23 hours ago, TONTROOPER said:

Do you and Stuart share a room offshore.......jist askin....bring us back some rock.....or a programme.....cos we aint got any here!!!

How did you know that? Yes he’s on day shift and I’m on nights, so we actually share a bed! I told him to give Morton a good report as I’d be hearing it when I wake up late on Saturday afternoon.

16 hours ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

How did you know that? Yes he’s on day shift and I’m on nights, so we actually share a bed! I told him to give Morton a good report as I’d be hearing it when I wake up late on Saturday afternoon.

Hot bedding it's called. They stopped it from happening but it used to be worth an extra £120 a day in wages.