Tough on crime or tough on the causes of crime?

jagfox

As well as the customary away defeat I was contacted by a beighbour that my flat had been broken into yesterday evening. 

Door locks ripped out and seems a "professional" job. Bags filled with what they wanted and off they went.

My neighbour actually saw one of them leaving and another neighbour who is inAmerica at the mo.e t had one of those Ring doorbells which apparently lots them off. 

Had the scene of crime folk around today and hopefully door replaced tomorrow 

Took a laptop and some booze I had gathering dust andan old iPad a kindle and ab even older Samsung my late uncle gave me.

Have any P&Bers been a victim of crime or any advixe on crime prevention? 

I should point out I am fine and at least they didn't shite on the floor or anything. Left a few sweaty t-shirts lying about which was weird. Good DNA sample I would guess?

1 minute ago, jagfox said:

I should point out I am fine and at least they didn't shite on the floor or anything. Left a few sweaty t-shirts lying about which was weird. Good DNA sample I would guess?

Will be but the polis will do f**k all. Source; got burgled. 

Just now, carpetmonster said:

Will be but the polis will do f**k all. Source; got burgled. 

Aye, I've put it down to experience. Not exoecting anything back.

1 minute ago, carpetmonster said:

It’s just stuff. Nobody was in, nobody got hurt, that’s the main thing. Stuff (for the most part) can be got back. 

Exactly mate. Onwards and sideways haha

Sorry to hear this, mate. Glad you're okay. Let the police do their job, don't be posting for names or photos on social media. Hopefully you had some type of insurance. If you own your home, get a deadbolt lock on your new front door.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Sorry to hear this, mate. Glad you're okay. Let the police do their job, don't be posting for names or photos on social media. Hopefully you had some type of insurance. If you own your home, get a deadbolt lock on your new front door.

Totally, I reckon it was a gang of some kind. In and out. I'm a c**t but not enough for somebody I know to do that kind of malarkey haha

11 minutes ago, jagfox said:

Totally, I reckon it was a gang of some kind. 

Sounds like it, mate. Taking locks out completely isn't really a quick job but is easy enough done with time and patience.

The whole sweaty t-shirt thing could be trying to throw police off/dob somebody else in. Hope they were your size. 😜

43 minutes ago, jagfox said:

As well as the customary away defeat I was contacted by a beighbour that my flat had been broken into yesterday evening. 

Door locks ripped out and seems a "professional" job. Bags filled with what they wanted and off they went.

My neighbour actually saw one of them leaving and another neighbour who is inAmerica at the mo.e t had one of those Ring doorbells which apparently lots them off. 

Had the scene of crime folk around today and hopefully door replaced tomorrow 

Took a laptop and some booze I had gathering dust andan old iPad a kindle and ab even older Samsung my late uncle gave me.

Have any P&Bers been a victim of crime or any advixe on crime prevention? 

31 minutes ago, jagfox said:

What area do you live in? Dont obviously mean yer full address etc but there is a trend around break ins in certain places with groups doing them yes. Does your old ipad still have ‘find my’ mode enabled on it? Re the rind doorbell did they get any decent footage? Hopefully even if they were masked up in the close they weren’t outside and maybe public space cctv can get a facial image, for comparison. 
If they managed to get dna brilliant, that can unfortunately be a slower process, sometimes up to 6months for something like that. Hopefully they managed to get some tool marks off the door for comparison? Screw drivers etc all have their own ‘fingerprints’ and can be used to tie people to series of crimes. Ring doorbells are great, they seem to be a pretty decent deterrent to people. Is your close controlled entry? You should get a phonecall or visit from the enquiry officer, they should offer you a crime prevention survey where someone trained in offering security advice comes and visits and gives you advice, worth doing or asking for. 

Was anything weird or unique taken? Id say have a look at pawnshops or local online market places like facebook/gumtree if there was, but if its just phone/ipad etc then they are probably just sold on quickly. 

Its really shitty thing to have happened and hope you’re alright as best you can be. 

They wont do ‘f**k all’ if theres evidence they’ll do what they can to charge the person, but if theres no cctv/fingerprints/dna/physical evidence (i remember a guy dropping an nhs appointment letter in a house once) then its impossible to prove given the evidentiary requirements of scots law re corroboration. Do you have the imei number for the ipad etc? If so get that noted in the mobile stolen property register etc which can flag up if they try to reset it anywhere legit. 

Forensic folk said the gang will drop the burglars off and pick them up five or ten minutes later. Sadly, this definitely wasn't their first job. 

Took a four pack of Estrella Galicoa out my fridge and all, the p***ks haha

3 minutes ago, jagfox said:

@Inanimate Carbon Rod WestEnd of Glasgow mate, just off Byres Road.

My neighbour saw one of them leaving. .

Police didn't go into details about the Ring footage. Just confirmed they had images.

They were wearing gloves apparently. 

Ah ok, dont know much about the trends etc in housebreakings there, but it definitely sounds like folks who knew what they were doing. Hopefully if they get a dna hit then they can show your neighbour something called a ‘photo board’ where he can pick out the guy seen. But the hopeful thing is if they regularly do it and can be linked they will no doubt make a mistake at some point and get snaffled for a series of them. Its absolutely shit having your house broken into, especially given they took your Estrella!!!! Hopefully the images are decent quality, ring tends to have the best quality images ive seen, a lot of cctv footage is absolutely horrendous, a lot of systems dont record full video images its just like a still every .5 seconds and for a race who can take pictures of jupiters moons we’ve not perfected a decent cctv image. Hope you get a result.

Has happened before to my mum and dad, yeah, so sorry to hear that. Nabbed the keys to my mum and dads cars as well as some gadgets, took my ipod and a laptop. Also even found the spare car keys in the kitchen which was a little creepy as they were relatively planked up in one of the cupboards, so probably a relatively pro job.

Only advice i could give to anyone on the thread is to try to find a good hidden spot for car keys at night, police at the time our families cars got nicked told us there'd been a spate of it in the area, as its easier for crooks to get the keys themselves and bugger off to strip the cars for parts than to hotwire the cars themselves. Audi/vw group really popular targets i think, as a lot of the components are interchangeable.