Things You Learned Today

14 minutes ago, Aaron_stampler said:

that tory guy whose name is spelt Duguid ( the one Douglas Ross stabbed in the back) 

I thought it was pronounced "Do Good" but apparently it "Dyoo Gid"

I'd say it more like 'dyoo-kit'.

48 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

Right, Gordon Dalziel, explain the pronunciation on that one

Gordon Dee-ehl? Wtf?

The old z looking letter with a tail made a different sound. It's been explained on here before, much better tbf. 

2 hours ago, coprolite said:

The old z looking letter with a tail made a different sound. It's been explained on here before, much better tbf. 

... and so I'll ask again:

Alan Gil-zeen,or Alan Gil-ain?

Gilzean & Culzean need to have the same ending, Shirley?

Eta, on a slight tangent, Stewart Petrie is the only time I've ever heard that surname pronounced 'Peet-tree' .  Up NE way it's always Pet-tray, but I don't know where Dundee stands on such things being that bit further south.

Petrie occurrence heatmap:

Screenshot_20240612-164356.thumb.png.0a780994aa1be9462fb9ac44f3002470.png

Folk from Strathearn get the say on Gilzean. Any Saintees have some insight?

Screenshot_20240612-164546.thumb.png.5f3af365aebc7a732e2b053bac258d52.png

Edited by Hedgecutter

1 minute ago, Hedgecutter said:

It sounds as though you’re trying to establish some kind of order in a disordered system.  In such a system small differences in initial conditions can alter the path of change in unpredictable ways. Embrace the entropy. 

11 minutes ago, coprolite said:

It sounds as though you’re trying to establish some kind of order in a disordered system.  In such a system small differences in initial conditions can alter the path of change in unpredictable ways. Embrace the entropy. 

I'd be more likely to embrace it if it didn't sound wrong.  Gil-ain (as it's probably meant to be) just rolls off the tongue, whereas Gil-zeen has the feel of "that's what The South keep calling it and I'm fed up of correcting it every day".

1 minute ago, Hedgecutter said:

I'd be more likely to embrace it if it didn't sound wrong.  Gil-ain (as it's probably meant to be) just rolls off the tongue, whereas Gil-zeen has the feel of "that's what The South keep calling it and I'm fed up of correcting it every day".

I went to school with a boy whose surname (double barrelled) included Dalziel. He insisted on Dee yell so he got called Dazzle, or Daz for short. 

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

I went to school with a boy whose surname (double barrelled) included Dalziel. He insisted on Dee yell so he got called Dazzle, or Daz for short. 

We had a lad called Craig with dyslexia in our class, he was always known as Car-rig. Kids are cruel! 

1 hour ago, Spyro said:

We had a lad called Craig with dyslexia in our class, he was always known as Car-rig. Kids are cruel! 

Not nearly as cruel as whoever came up with the word 'dyslexia'.

On 12/06/2024 at 10:37, tamthebam said:

"Menzies" is MING (as in the Emperor) IZ 

the Z stands for a letter in Scots which is no longer used 

My old man used to talk about buying a paper from Mingiz in Waverley Station which confused me as the shop was John Menzies. 

On this etymology you could say Celtic fans are menzin'

The English have Featherstonehaugh and Cholmondeley aka Fanshaw and Chumley

Same with Lenzie, the 'yogh' sound didn't have an equivalent on the printing press, so Z was used as a substitute

There's a decent write up, with a list of place name, here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yogh

20 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Eta, on a slight tangent, Stewart Petrie is the only time I've ever heard that surname pronounced 'Peet-tree' .  Up NE way it's always Pet-tray, but I don't know where Dundee stands on such things being that bit further south.

Petrie occurrence heatmap:

Screenshot_20240612-164356.thumb.png.0a780994aa1be9462fb9ac44f3002470.png

Folk from Strathearn get the say on Gilzean. Any Saintees have some insight?

Screenshot_20240612-164546.thumb.png.5f3af365aebc7a732e2b053bac258d52.png

those maps make Aberdeen and Perth look like plooks.... 

On 11/06/2024 at 08:22, scottsdad said:

I remember Scott's school bus company changing years ago. I asked him who were doing it now. 

De War he said, in a bit of a French accent. 

It was Dewar. He'd never heard the name before so assumed it was a French company. 

The De War one made it as far as the BBC. Few years ago was watching Heir Hunters (chasing estates of stiffs with wills but no known family). And one of the appeals the voiceover did was for someone called De War, and then the name Dewar appeared on the telly, they screwed up another Scottish name that day too, but can't remember that one.

Done a wee job a couple of weeks ago in a lovely garden flat beside the Forth bridges. Boss wasn’t sure of the owners name, but he thought that it might be Darren Franks who was in America at the time. 
My boss mentioned the job again today and he also happened to mention that he remembered something about the owner driving race cars in America!!

Turns out his name was not Darren Franks after all….. Dario Franchetti.

Easy mistake to make if you don’t follow motorsports 😄

17 hours ago, tamthebam said:

those maps make Aberdeen and Perth look like plooks.... 

It's not the maps doing that!

On Petrie, I know a few in the Perth area, not all directly related, and they all go by Peet-tree.

On 12/06/2024 at 20:44, Loonytoons said:

Lisp is another one

A while back I had a colleague who was a 'qualified mathematician' who's email described something as being 'parallelepiped'. 

When he next wandered by I asked him how to pronounce it, out of genuine interest.  Problem for me was that I completely forgot this guy had the worst stammer one is likely to encounter.  He was the sort of determined guy to not give up on it, and so the poor soul persevered whilst the rest of the office looked at me in utter disgust. Probably took about ten 'p-p-p-p's to get past the first letter.  Longest three minutes of my life.

Eta: to save you the effort, it's a 3D figure comprising 6 parallelograms.

Edited by Hedgecutter

30 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

A while back I had a colleague who was a 'qualified mathematician' who's email described something as being 'parallelepiped'. 

When he next wandered by I asked him how to pronounce it, out of genuine interest.  Problem for me was that I completely forgot this guy had the worst stammer one is likely to encounter.  He was the sort of determined guy to not give up on it, and so the poor soul persevered whilst the rest of the office looked at me in utter disgust. Probably took about ten 'p-p-p-p's to get past the first letter.  Longest three minutes of my life.

Eta: to save you the effort, it's a 3D figure comprising 6 parallelograms.

Neglecting scale, the set of Platonic solids and the set of parallelepipeds intersect on a single element. Not exactly a TIL, more a TIC (“clocked for the first time”).