What is the most important position?

A fairly simple question but one that I don’t think has ever really been discussed before - what position on the park is the most important for teams to get right? Is it the goalkeeper? A left back? A striker?

I’m not looking for you to tell me what’s the most important to your club this season but just overall. What position do you feel has the biggest impact?

This came into my head tonight watching the Hearts game and seeing Gordon in goal vs The Dundee Utd diddy last week, I immediately thought Hearts were lucky by comparison as the goalkeeper for Utd has had a few howlers already. Then I asked myself - is the goalkeeper position the most important on the pitch? As soon as I thought this I immediately said to myself that a striker was more important than a goalkeeper and I’ve been thinking about it ever since, as well as multiple other positions on the park.

I appreciate that different tactics etc will require different positions to be more or less important but again I’m just looking for a general view and discussion on it.

22 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

A fairly simple question but one that I don’t think has ever really been discussed before - what position on the park is the most important for teams to get right? Is it the goalkeeper? A left back? A striker?

I’m not looking for you to tell me what’s the most important to your club this season but just overall. What position do you feel has the biggest impact?

This came into my head tonight watching the Hearts game and seeing Gordon in goal vs The Dundee Utd diddy last week, I immediately thought Hearts were lucky by comparison as the goalkeeper for Utd has had a few howlers already. Then I asked myself - is the goalkeeper position the most important on the pitch? As soon as I thought this I immediately said to myself that a striker was more important than a goalkeeper and I’ve been thinking about it ever since, as well as multiple other positions on the park.

I appreciate that different tactics etc will require different positions to be more or less important but again I’m just looking for a general view and discussion on it.

Goalkeeper for me, and by quite a distance. Can make a good team great, or an average team abysmal. 

31 minutes ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

Anyone who doesn't think goalkeeper is wrong.  Pereira pretty much relegated us on his own

I was talking to a Hearts fan about him the other day. Felt like watching an outfield player who had to be put in goals but kept forgetting he was allowed to use his hands.

2 hours ago, Sortmeout said:

A fairly simple question but one that I don’t think has ever really been discussed before - what position on the park is the most important for teams to get right?

Good and innovatory post, young man.  Have a Charles.

Every team needs a 'blood and snotters' central defender.

After seeing Aaron Chapman, it has to be keeper. There's a few positions you can be shite at and hide, but a bad goalie gets you relegated.

He legitimately looked like Sam Beckett had quantum leaped into him during that accies game. I've never seen a player so fucking confused. Hope he was able to save his dog or whatever.

Good question and it’s a thinker. It’s definitely between keeper and striker. 

keeper is 100% the most damaging position to get wrong, but does it make it the most important? I don’t necessarily think you need Peter scum riches in goals, just someone who isn’t going to sell you down the river every week. 

If you presumed everyone in the team was at least competent relevant to their level then I think it’s striker. 

As a Hibby, it has to be midfield. The only enjoyable time watching Hibs over the last two decades was when we had a solid midfield. Without it, there’s hoofball.

And then within that bracket, most important is probably a centre mid 

Edited by The Other Foot