🦁 Raith Rovers v Inverness Caley Thistle 🦕- 03-09-2022

I can see now why Rovers fans were so pessimistic despite our rotten form. As @alsy says, apart from the first 15 - 20 minutes were they looked lively and we lacked any composure at the back, they were rotten. Gullan was their only real threat before he went off injured and after that I felt we were the better team overall and deserved the win. 

Odd line up with Harper seemingly playing as a CM but then it became clear that was actually playing further forward behind Oakley. He didn't look like a complete fish out of water but it's hard to say he excelled there. Boyd also looked pretty lost for most of the game but on the positive side Devine and Delaney were solid at the back. The former seldom lost an aerial dual and Delaney timed his challenges very well and broke up a number of Rovers attacks down his side. He looked comfortable stepping out of defence with the ball at his feet as well. Probably my MotM. 

Best chances for Raith were probably the cracking volley from the aforementioned Gullan that drifted just wide and a curling effort that Ridgers superbly turned round the post. Great run by MacKay for the penalty. He had Kevin McKidd on toast for most of that game so it wasn't much of a surprise to see him be beaten yet again and having to scythe MacKay down. Nicely taken by Allardice. 

Bit of fortune with the second goal. After a comedy clearance by Carson, a Raith throw in ended up with MacKay and as he controlled the ball he did so with his arm as he broke down the right side. Undeterred he sent in a fine low cross which found Mckay in acres of space and he steadied himself before coolly slotting past Scottish Cup hero Jamie MacDonald.

Given our patched up starting XI and recent performances it was a cracking result but we still look poor in places and whilst it was good to get a win we will need to seriously improve against Hamilton next week if we want to take 3 points there.

Well I wasn't the seething mess I was at the last game, but it was a very very disappointing afternoon.

First half we were pretty decent and could've been a goal or two to the good. I still can't believe Gullans effort missed and it was a wonder save from Eastons effort. However, after Gullan went off we lost what little presence we had up front and could've still been playing now and not have scored. 

Caley weren't great but were solid enough. However, at half time I don't think many would've predicted they would comfortably win the game 2-0. 2nd half they snuffed out our midfield threat from Stanton and Easton and our two up top were never going to win anything when we went direct. We needed to change things but we didn't.

Then step up Ross Millen. I want to give the guy a chance but the error making that tackle was so basic. Although the boy was past him there was still no huge threat and for him to dive in and concede the penalty was schoolboy stuff. Making mistakes like will never get the fans on side, doesn't matter how much effort is put in.

After that, the game was gone. Murray went gung ho but with no real threat up front then 2-0 was the inevitable outcome.

There is a team in there, the first half showed that. However without a real presence up front we are seriously going to struggle this season.