Monarchy debate/discussion

Richey Edwards

2 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Do Sweden still choose a random Swede every week to run the country's official twitter? Independent Scotland should do that but, as well as running the twitter account, ye also get to be head of state. If ye run the twitter while parliament is sitting you get to put one law into parliament for them to vote on.

I just imagine what changes @throbber would make to the flag.

26 minutes ago, MacDuffman said:

Why do we need anyone for this position?

What would there purpose be?

If we have an elected First Minister is that not enough?

Countries need a Head of State. Many combine that with the Head of Government (ie the USA where the President is both). Others have separate (Ireland has an elected President as head of state but a different head of Government). Monarchies act as Head of State whilst someone else (in our case the PM) is Head of Government.

So yes, an independent Scotland could have the FM as both, or we could elect a ceremonial Head of State, or keep the monarchy. 

54 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Countries need a Head of State. Many combine that with the Head of Government (ie the USA where the President is both). Others have separate (Ireland has an elected President as head of state but a different head of Government). Monarchies act as Head of State whilst someone else (in our case the PM) is Head of Government.

So yes, an independent Scotland could have the FM as both, or we could elect a ceremonial Head of State, or keep the monarchy. 

Separate elected head of state need not be ceremonial.

12 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Separate elected head of state need not be ceremonial.

Correct, constitutional monarchs cannot fulfill many of the requirements of a head of state and this can (and has) lead to constitutional crisis'.

Ireland has a pretty good system to replicate.

Re. Honours I also have no problem with people accepting them, there aren't non royal honours and it's not as if you have to agree with a government to accept the Légion d'honneur (I turned mine down for other reasons). 

The only exceptions would be an outspoken Republican or person who built their career on being anti establishment or their class credentials - it would apply to Lord Prescott had that ship not already sailed long ago.

7 hours ago, Satoshi said:

The only exceptions would be an outspoken Republican or person who built their career on being anti establishment or their class credentials - it would apply to Lord Prescott had that ship not already sailed long ago.

Which is fair enough for minor honours but when you get to peerages that interpretation is problematic because it would mean that you're disbarring people from sitting in the Parliaments 2nd legislative chamber purely because of their republican, anti establishment or class credentials.

If Baron Prescott was insisting on people calling him "My Lord" and wearing Ermine at every available opportunity then your criticism would be more than fair. 

But in this case it's probably better to hate the game as opposed to the player

• 3 months later...

I reckon the Queen snuffing and Charlie becoming King could be the beginning of the end for the Monarchy. He doesn’t seem to be held in as high regard as his mother. Not saying it’ll happen anytime soon but future historians might look at this point being where attitudes changed  

12 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

I reckon the Queen snuffing and Charlie becoming King could be the beginning of the end for the Monarchy. He doesn’t seem to be held in as high regard as his mother. Not saying it’ll happen anytime soon but future historians might look at this point being where attitudes changed  

There has to be a large number of people who love the Queen who do so because she is seen like a wee Granny who has essentially always been there.

I can't imagine Charles or William the Pegged being looked upon with anything remotely like the same level of endearment.