Monarchy debate/discussion

Richey Edwards

19 minutes ago, Pens_Dark said:

I'm not surprised. I can't believe it is happening in plain sight for all of us to see without any fight-back.

We're all just waiting for you to kick off, man!

15 minutes ago, Netan Sansara said:

An absolute mentalist interviewed on the BBC website who has queued to see the coffin 7 times. Incredible. 

Maybe just astonished about the poor workmanship, like the Shoddy! priest on Father Ted.

5 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

I’m also off Monday 

We have also been offered free counselling if we have been affected by her death

You could use the time to talk about the existential horror of being trapped on a spinning ball of rock hurtling through infinity with millions of people who need counselling due to the death of someone who did nothing with their life but accrue personal wealth at the expense of the people they didn't even know or care existed.

...and breathe.

3 hours ago, Leith Green said:

I dont think you are missing anything - I mean, my wife had a lot of respect for the Queen, is not a republican but there is zero chance she would have queued for several hours to look art a coffin.............and only we live half a mile from St Giles.

This is like a gift for the BBC and the Tories - writing the narrative that we are all in awe of the Royal Family based on people who lined the road etc.

Its the equivalent of turning up at Pittodrie and making the assumption that 3/4 of the population must support Aberdeen FC  based on the crowd that day.

The bbc is all about the royal family and “traditional British values” and anyone presenting at a time like this will hve been trained specifically on how to deal with the queens passing. I suppose they seem brainwashed as they probably don’t believe what they’re saying themselves and are just saying it as it’s part of their job.

1 hour ago, KirkieRR said:

It's a bank holiday. Almost no one will be open. I work in a college - if we went ahead with classes imagine the fuming in the Mail and Express: EVIL JOCKOLAND COLLEGE MAKES GRIEVING ROYALS CRY BY FORCING STUDENTS TO STUDY DURING FUNERAL!

Regarding the arrests - there is a counterargument in that the protestors were arrested to protect them. Remember that chip shop owner whose place got trashed when she questioned the obsequies. Royal enthusiasts can get pretty nasty. I wouldn't recommend any protestors to exercise their freedom of speech on the routes to Ibrox tomorrow night, say.

Were people arrested yesterday? I saw the woman with the “not my king” banner being led away but that’s not the same as being arrested. Also the guy who loudly abused Andrew who got punched wasn’t being arrested the police just wanted him away from proceedings. My next door neighbour is polis and he wasn’t under instruction to arrest anyone speaking Ill of the royal family so think people are getting a bit tinfoil hat.

Id imagine if you started any trouble at ibrox a police would intervene to avoid any ensuing violence like they would anywhere with a crowd of people I suppose.

3 minutes ago, throbber said:

The bbc is all about the royal family and “traditional British values” and anyone presenting at a time like this will hve been trained specifically on how to deal with the queens passing. I suppose they seem brainwashed as they probably don’t believe what they’re saying themselves and are just saying it as it’s part of their job.

That's the problem though. No-one seems to be putting their head above the parapet. Said this on another part of the forum but George Russell was 3rd in the Italian GP at the weekend. As the interviewer was British he got asked as part of the post race interview how he felt about the auld yin's death. What's he supposed to say? Although I would have loved it if he'd said something like "I've just been concentrating on the race this weekend tbh". There MUST be some people on the media who feel this way.

1 minute ago, jimbaxters said:

That's the problem though. No-one seems to be putting their head above the parapet. Said this on another part of the forum but George Russell was 3rd in the Italian GP at the weekend. As the interviewer was British he got asked as part of the post race interview how he felt about the auld yin's death. What's he supposed to say? Although I would have loved it if he'd said something like "I've just been concentrating on the race this weekend tbh". There MUST be some people on the media who feel this way.

Some folk just can't be arsed with it all and are not so much unwilling to put their head above the parapet as not interested enough either way.

Like me.

14 minutes ago, throbber said:

Were people arrested yesterday? I saw the woman with the “not my king” banner being led away but that’s not the same as being arrested. Also the guy who loudly abused Andrew who got punched wasn’t being arrested the police just wanted him away from proceedings. My next door neighbour is polis and he wasn’t under instruction to arrest anyone speaking Ill of the royal family so think people are getting a bit tinfoil hat.

Id imagine if you started any trouble at ibrox a police would intervene to avoid any ensuing violence like they would anywhere with a crowd of people I suppose.

According to the BBC  two people arrested for Breach.  I suppose it it relies on how loud they shouted and how alarmed people claimed to be!