So will the football be off this weekend?

4 hours ago, williemillersmoustache said:

No, you are of course entitled to your view but you fail to see things from the other perspective. Feel free to be sad, feel free to support others who are sad, but there's no need to halt the world for the death of a divisive figure who had a thoroughly good innings, way in excess of the life expectancy of her subjects. 

I'm not the sort of person who would deliberately seek to antagonise those who are actually mourning but there absolutely is an imposition here way in excess of the importance of the event.  And which completely disregards the views of those who are at best ambivalent about the passing of a hereditary head of state who despite the oceans of fucking nonsense said and written about her, was as remote and divorced from her subjects as it is possible to be without leaving orbit. 

Objectively the losses of Iain Banks, Scott Hutchison and Dolores O'Riordon were both more tragic and more culturally significantly for Scotland than the passing of the magic baton from one anachronism past retirement age and seemingly not quite all there, to another. 

The need for competitive sorrowful genuflecting at her death is clearly designed to reinforce the myth of her "service" and "dedication" to obscure any debate and suppress any dissent about whether in 2022 having a dynastic hereditary head of state with actual constitutional responsibilities is in fact fucking mental. 

There's absolutely nothing VILE FRANKLY about pointing out and deriding what a complete nonsense all of this is.

I fucking greeted for days after Scott took his own life. Knowing someone who through their music and influence literally saved my own life by lifting me from suicidal depression took theirs in such a tragic manner absolutely destroyed me. 

Certainly not a tear shed when the Queen died. Quite the opposite in fact. 

19 hours ago, welldaft said:

Nobody is forcing anyone to be sad.

Whether you like it or not the Queen has been our Monarch for most if not all of our lives. To some (especially in Scotland and on this Board) they could not care less. Fine. But for others they will acknowledge this is more than just a 96 year old lady passing away. 

Despite how I come across I am not a royalist and dislike a fair few of them. But the Queen never asked to be born into the Royal family. She did her best to represent the UK during her 70 year reign. She absolutely loved Scotland and thankfully there are many north of the border that appreciate that. I do. 

The next two weeks will be a tough watch. Certainly I hope next weekend fixtures go ahead, assuming the funeral is into the following week as anticipated. 

Am certainly not a royalist and agree with quite a bit of that but also agree with Randoms post. 

The music being played, the sports events being cancelled, the dire sombre tv coverage is meaning sadness is being forced upon us which is obviously wrong. 

Who would have thought rugby and cricket would have struck the right chord and not cancelled everything out of fear of upsetting a few folk. 

Given that we've been repeatedly told about her devotion to Scotland and her Scottish subjects and her love for her husband and his particular brand of 'humour', I'd imagine that she would be enjoying the light hearted gallows humour being displayed on the forum.

In fact, I can picture her now, cuddled up to Phil in front of a roaring hot inferno, chuckling at the absolute bangers I've been posting in the last 24 hours 

Edited by Stringer Bell

16 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

So, will the football be cancelled NEXT weekend....?

Knowing my luck it will! 

I am off during the day on Saturday and have  bought a ticket for the Pars Falkirk game.

I also have tickets for the two Scotland games later this month and now even if they go ahead the players may not have much game time prior to them now. 

On a happier note: will we see the Coronation Cup contested again?

Perhaps next July?

469.jpg     image.png.003488f2ffd2396b7ee34eb271be097f.png

FT6dbwuXEAEAMoX?format=jpg&name=large     Ev9JdqeWYAI_zHY?format=jpg&name=900x900

Under the rough criteria of 1953, and had it been needed earlier this year, the entrants would have been:

Chelsea
Leicester City
Manchester City
Manchester United

Celtic
Heart of Midlothian
Rangers
St Johnstone

3 hours ago, welldaft said:

Totally agree with this post apart from the very 1st and last sentence. 

I 100% understand that there are many people who could not care less about the Queen passing. And more so that are angry that there are many events sporting or otherwise cancelled as a result. 

What I cannot agree with or understand are are posts that are unnecessary and overboard in terms of the vitriol, hatred,  and even celebratory nature around her death. There is a huge difference and you seem intelligent enough to be able to understand that. 

I and the very few others on here (that have kicked up a fuss) would not even have posted or responded had all the posts been like yours. That is 100% a fact. 

Were you perturbed  and perplexed by the same when Thatcher died?

If you truly understood those peoples feelings, maybe you could actually see their perspective, but you either don't, or refuse to, and arrogantly think you do, going on your moral crusade. Which is in itself a contradiction, as in this day and age especially, with hardship and food banks, everything about the monarchy is immoral and vile.

1 hour ago, Dunfermline Don said:

Knowing my luck it will! 

I am off during the day on Saturday and have  bought a ticket for the Pars Falkirk game.

I also have tickets for the two Scotland games later this month and now even if they go ahead the players may not have much game time prior to them now. 

Why would the Scotland games be cancelled? Scotland played the day after Diana's funeral.

2 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

So, will the football be cancelled NEXT weekend....?

If the games are on next weekend, St Mirren are going to have suffer whatever protests/banners the Green Brigade come up with to disrupt the minute's silence. Sky Sports will probably just mute the entire afternoon. Which would be good if they included whatever pundits they come up with that day.